the marijuana forums these days are a joke

• Thread starter shoestring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

There were always people trying to grow weed , out of curiosity how were newbies treated back in the day lets say in the seventies and eighties?

shoestring

shoestring

They were pioneers for the most part. Back in them days no one was treating or showing anyone anything. For books you had Grow your own Stone and thats it (mid 70's). Hell i dont think metal halide high bay warehouse and stadium lights didnt catch on till about 1979. No. They was all wingin it back then i would imagine. And.all outdoors too. Hydrofarm didnt start up till 1978. It was called applied hydroponics back then and the word hydrofarm was the name of their first hydroponic modular system. Larry Brooke was just getting General Hydroponics started with his original Aquafarm and the flora nutes were.dry.powder back then. I dont even think micro nutrient chelation was invented yet. Oh and you had eco nutrients back then too. Any old heads remember them? Dry powder nutes in jars.

Last edited:
sky high

sky high

My experience

It was rare to meet another grower.....and because there was no Internet and no EASY way to share...nor WAS IT SAFE TO SHARE like it is now....we were all noobs/doing our own varied approaches from the limited exposure of the day. Grow books were our "online" reference. Rumor played in heavily as well. Things went MUCH slower. Nobody was driving across town to buy a room full of top-notch genetics and then bank em up...much less brag about it online. Because few folks were growers, anyone you met that had the balls to take the risk was an instant buddy.....and sharing cuts was a security move above all, rather than a dick swing/ego kinda thing or a "chosen one" kinda thing as is seen all the time today. In short, the cuts were HARD to get...and you couldn't afford to lose any of em. Wasn't like today where folks are tossing off/away good plants just cus they can't cash crop them at the level needed to keep abreast with the greed du jour. Once the Net kicked in....things opened up all around... and now....the portal of knowledge is wide open and access is a free for all.....and everyone is playing the game

waayne

waayne

I definitely remember ECO GROW shoestring.....lol......been awhile....
A Cali company called Aeon had superior products back then and solid information ,sadly they filed bankruptcy and went out of business after one of their employees got busted running a warehouse in the Bay area........

Anyone remember the Home Grown Quarterly from back then?

I remember Hydro Farm used to run ads back then,proclaiming their Vita Twist fluorescent tubes to having a superior spectrum to the sun....lmao

Bought my first 1000 watt metal halide in late 79...it had a street lamp style hood.....lol
yep ,the good old days..........

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If you can filter through the bullshit thcfarmer is cool is as fuck ....to me it seems like theres three main crowds on one side the group that smashes MISINFORMATION and the DIck SWINGers don't get me wrong im sure some members swing both ways but from what I can see few are like the old school Marijuana PLANT LOVERS That blazed the path for ALL all of us.......

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

It needs to get back to all the great fem lines from the past and start building upon, once again the great S1 lines like N.L & skunk..... Then we can wipe out this hermie epidemic.!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I had the old ''streetlamp'' setup too,first light i ever had,lol.I lived in LA at the time and my neighbor was an old lowrider/carbuilder with the 38th street dukes car club and he coached me on how to grow.He learned from his grandparents who grew it medicinally along with a ton of other plants they had brought from mexico in the 30's or 40's.There were alot of streetlamps that went missing around my hood,lol.I will never forget that guy for so much,con safos my friend.

shoestring

shoestring

Hey i ran them vita twist t12's for years. Something about more surface area. I thought they were it back then. I still have the first 2 seedbank catalogs somewhere buried too. I also remember Hamilton Tech that had those big cover ads in hightimes. The max 89 reflector lol. They went down during operation green merchant. I think they sell aquarium stuff now.

ttystikk

ttystikk

What I dig about the scene now are those golden nuggets you find sometimes, genuine good people, who in their daily lives are chemists, or run a tissue culture lab, or do metalwork, or are engineers.

People are bringing real innovation, new thinking and professional knowledge and experience far beyond what it was like 'back in the day'- and I have my official 'I was there then' card, a felony rap for growing back in '92.

Thanks to HB1284, I can't grow for a commercial op now. And for what? BEING AHEAD OF MY TIME?!

So I let the newcomer's bullshit slide off my back, because I'm here for a reason; that is to put the power of home grown produce back in the hands of the people. At this point, it's about a lot more than just bud; I want to bring the cost of doing it indoors down to the point where we can grow whatever we want to eat, rather than just cash crops.

I'm other words, this is not just what I'm doing for the moment, it's the mark I want to leave.

The golden nuggets I refer to feel the same way I do about what they're doing, and it shows. I am continually amazed at the progress being made in the field- and very few of those making it are 'playahs'...

fractal

fractal

My experience

It was rare to meet another grower.....and because there was no Internet and no EASY way to share...nor WAS IT SAFE TO SHARE like it is now....we were all noobs/doing our own varied approaches from the limited exposure of the day. Grow books were our "online" reference. Rumor played in heavily as well. Things went MUCH slower. Nobody was driving across town to buy a room full of top-notch genetics and then bank em up...much less brag about it online. Because few folks were growers, anyone you met that had the balls to take the risk was an instant buddy.....and sharing cuts was a security move above all, rather than a dick swing/ego kinda thing or a "chosen one" kinda thing as is seen all the time today. In short, the cuts were HARD to get...and you couldn't afford to lose any of em. Wasn't like today where folks are tossing off/away good plants just cus they can't cash crop them at the level needed to keep abreast with the greed du jour. Once the Net kicked in....things opened up all around... and now....the portal of knowledge is wide open and access is a free for all.....and everyone is playing the game

I remember when it was still like that in the late 90's and early 2000's. Things have changed so much and I miss it! Now everyone and their family is growing and giving the hype train more momentum when it comes to flavor of the week and stuff. If I could press a button and go back in time a few years before I ever heard of Diesel, Bubba or OG I would be super happy. When even in California, you didn't talk about pot at the grow store.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Cycle of life
Was gonna be my response , time moves on , different people (generations ) move in , things change as times do - anyone who lurks around the farm / forums anywhere can tell who knows what and who is a quality person/grower just by reading a few post or viewing a grow or a explanation of growing .... times change and nothing gets accomplished whining about it ....kinda reminds me of older people (which now includes myself ) saying when I was a kid ......well your not (i'm not ) anymore .... do your own thing and act the way you seem fit and the times will still keep progression (or digressing) - depending on how you look at it.. but its gonna keep on going its never gonna go back to the way it was before ..... I can remember saying my these kids look stupid with there pants hanging down there ass but I imagine the older crowd thought we looked stupid also with what ever we were wearing also .... just my 2 cent

putembk

putembk

Was gonna be my response , time moves on , different people (generations ) move in , things change as times do - anyone who lurks around the farm / forums anywhere can tell who knows what and who is a quality person/grower just by reading a few post or viewing a grow or a explanation of growing .... times change and nothing gets accomplished whining about it ....kinda reminds me of older people (which now includes myself ) saying when I was a kid ......well your not (i'm not ) anymore .... do your own thing and act the way you seem fit and the times will still keep progression (or digressing) - depending on how you look at it.. but its gonna keep on going its never gonna go back to the way it was before ..... I can remember saying my these kids look stupid with there pants hanging down there ass but I imagine the older crowd thought we looked stupid also with what ever we were wearing also .... just my 2 cent

One thing that has changed for me is the fact that I used to hang out with pot smokers, now I hang out with pot growers.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Im a young dude. My generation sucks. I have more friends in their 40-50's than i do in their 20's. Dont get me wrong, i do hang out with people my age but i find myself not saying much and running to my car to take a puff, not only to escape the most meaningless conversations, but also to stay away from those fucking bums who only smoke if its not theirs... Ive been in the hydro industry for some time and i have lost all faith for the "new" generation.

Forums these days can be lame, its a skill to read through the bullshit. I fucking hate all the repeat posts and how people join a forum just to post their stupid fucking questions. But what can you expect from a class of people that would rather beg for anything than work for it?I mean is it wrong of me to expect an individual to actually do their own research a little bit? like little guppies waiting for food just to fall in their mouths... fuck

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im going to chine in (i have a great buzz right now)
The farm is wayyy better than any of the forums...
A few years ago, I was a 5o year old newbie that wanted to grow for my wife and I.
I didnt know anyone who grew
I joined a bunch of forums to ask questions and share my excitement with this wonderful plant.
None of them came close to the Farm. Knowledge and helpfulness abound!
and from what I have seen, disrespectful posters are put in their place pretty quick.
THC Farmer is a great community too! Tons of great people here..

Im still a newbie...I dont have much to teach anyone yet...
Unless they can learn from all the mistakes i make ...lol :woot:

I forgot what I was orinanaly gunna say :facepalm:

Well thanks for letting me hang around anyway!

Last edited:
fractal

fractal

Im a young dude. My generation sucks. I have more friends in their 40-50's than i do in their 20's. Dont get me wrong, i do hang out with people my age but i find myself not saying much and running to my car to take a puff, not only to escape the most meaningless conversations, but also to stay away from those fucking bums who only smoke if its not theirs... Ive been in the hydro industry for some time and i have lost all faith for the "new" generation.

Forums these days can be lame, its a skill to read through the bullshit. I fucking hate all the repeat posts and how people join a forum just to post their stupid fucking questions. But what can you expect from a class of people that would rather beg for anything than work for it?I mean is it wrong of me to expect an individual to actually do their own research a little bit? like little guppies waiting for food just to fall in their mouths... fuck

It is NOT just a case of the older generation looking for something to justify talking shit about the younger generation. Pretty much if you were born after 1989 you have a way higher chance of being an uninformed douchebag who spends all your time immersed in your little iWorld and just accepts the state of how things are.

Isn't it scary to think that people in their 20's now have not a damn clue about what life was like in the 80's and 90's, before 9/11? They have grown up in a police state and that is all they know.

I really noticed this maybe 8 years ago when emo trends started and the fashion turned to anything about skulls, demons, and the like. It was a symptom of people without any hope manifesting itself in what they covered themselves in every day to face the world. It's as if the younger generation has never had any hope, and will never have any hope that things will change because all they have ever known is the paranoia of the post-9/11 world and the synthetic culture foisted upon us by technology.

Top Bottom