The Microbial Loop Theory: 30 Years Of Cross-atlantic Communication Barriers

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

Like spider mites showing up after the plant gets pissed and releases a stress pheromone.

Edit: thought of a better (or at least different) analogy: like a lion going after the weakest member of a herd of potential prey.
yes, it is likely more this way i think. usually we make our plants scream by mis treating them imagining we know what they want, afterall we read a book that said they need 17 elements, and even tho we dont speak plant, how hard can it be? :) Now the plant is screaming, the pests can hear, so they come to see what the fuss is about...
In nature it is true that fungus will attack the old, once they decay the matter, they will refuse to feed it to other mature trees, holding it back until a young sapling requests it. Its a bit like our own bodies, after a while they stop repairing themselves. There must be a point at which the system of biology and relevant organisms and processes, all communicate and decide to stop helping us. I guess its all about the bang for the bucks mate, even if the bang is us :)

Ecompost

Ecompost

Possibly only attacking plants with a specific infra red due to illness.....
Naz
yup that makes sense, the plant will release a VOC we cant smell many of them because we are limited, we cant see the funnels of chemicals streaming ever upwards because our eyes arent complex enough. Inside the VOC is a manual, or a route map, or any other message, may be the message is for a beneficial, may be it aint.
Bees locate blooms via electrical fields and local variations, makes sense other insects use this and so why not other non sight based organisms. http://www.npr.org/2013/02/22/172611866/honey-its-electric-bees-sense-charge-on-flowers

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

yup that makes sense, the plant will release a VOC we cant smell many of them because we are limited, we cant see the funnels of chemicals streaming ever upwards because our eyes arent complex enough. Inside the VOC is a manual, or a route map, or any other message, may be the message is for a beneficial, may be it aint.
Bees locate blooms via electrical fields and local variations, makes sense other insects use this and so why not other non sight based organisms. http://www.npr.org/2013/02/22/172611866/honey-its-electric-bees-sense-charge-on-flowers
Wow, so i tried to find what voc stands for and hit a dead end. Your responses and follow ups are very much appreciated.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Wow, so i tried to find what voc stands for and hit a dead end. Your responses and follow ups are very much appreciated.
Volatile Organic Compounds mate..not all being equal of course. i am interested in the AHL variants, among others, these being the basis of communication, plant to plant/ plant to microbes etc etc

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

Volatile Organic Compounds mate..not all being equal of course. i am interested in the AHL variants, among others, these being the basis of communication, plant to plant/ plant to microbes etc etc
The rabbit hole is DEEP! PH must have a role in quoram sensing also...best plants ive grown are when i let them do their thing with minimal disruption on my part...i really want to companion garden now. Have you read " "The Backyard Parables" by Margaret Roach? I'm a third way through and actually comprehending some applicable plant intelligence.
Naz

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Bottom line with soil biology is this, We have only begun to scratch the surface ( no pun) when it comes to the world beneath our feet. Many soil majors and researchers have admitted this. We have only just begun. Yes the rabbit hole runs very deep.

As my Lakota brother says Mitakuye Oyasin, (we are all related) The web of life. Gotta love this stuff.

Ecompost

Ecompost

The rabbit hole is DEEP! PH must have a role in quoram sensing also...best plants ive grown are when i let them do their thing with minimal disruption on my part...i really want to companion garden now. Have you read " "The Backyard Parables" by Margaret Roach? I'm a third way through and actually comprehending some applicable plant intelligence.
Naz
not read it, sounds interesting tho. Yes companion planting is worth time I feel plus it means we can get more value from a single plot of land or space. I use beans and peppers but also basil mint garlic etc. I prefer to use plants I can harvest as well as ones that provide other benefit to MJ, eg pest control or diversion, scent distraction etc etc.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Bottom line with soil biology is this, We have only begun to scratch the surface ( no pun) when it comes to the world beneath our feet. Many soil majors and researchers have admitted this. We have only just begun. Yes the rabbit hole runs very deep.

As my Lakota brother says Mitakuye Oyasin, (we are all related) The web of life. Gotta love this stuff.
yes, I try to recruit as many people as I can to the study, I cant do it on my own and not even if we join JC, we need lots of eyes to know the true extent. its hard when we arent even settled on names...many glomus strains are being re jigged, see Rhizophagus irregularis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizophagus_irregularis as an example, not only is this confusing, but its a pain in the arse for labeling etc. Any tomato grower would need to know about this change :-)

Top Bottom