The Microbial Loop Theory: 30 Years Of Cross-atlantic Communication Barriers

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The more forest ecologists learn about plant nutrients, the more evidence accumulates that plants are not simply passive organisms whose chances of survival are based on environmental factors outside of their control. In acquiring basic nutrients from the soil, one may well imagine that a plant’s success is dependent on chemical properties of the soil alone. By simple “luck of the draw”, plants that seed in nutrient-rich spots will grow faster and larger than plants seeding in nutrient poor regions.

In several of my previous posts, I’ve addressed this issue one way or another, talking about plant-mychorrizhal associations and root-grafting as strategies that allow less fortunately placed plants to acquire sufficient nutrients to survive. I’d like to now address an entirely different theory concerning plant nutrient acquisition, one which, despite thirty years of European research, remains hotly contested and represents one of the major theoretical divides between European and American soil/plant ecologists.

The microbial-loop theory is a paradigm developed several decades ago and has become a cornerstone of European thinking about how plants interact with other soil organisms. In essence a relatively simple idea, the microbial loop would, if proved, require the reevaluation of a huge body of North American literature about plant nutrient acquisition, which generally argues that that basic nutrient demands and stoichiometric constraints- most notably nitrogen limitation in temperate forests and phosphorous limitation in the tropics, exert a fundamental control over forest productivity.

It is well known that plants exert significant control over the processes that occur in the rhizosphere, a narrow zone of soil and pore space that surrounds their roots. Here, plants dump simple sugars such as glucose in order to nourish an active microbial community. They apparently do so because microbes exhibit a diverse array of metabolic capabilities that plants themselves do not have. Microbial processes release essential nutrients, such as nitrogen, from complex organic matter in a plant-soluble form. This much about plant-microbe symbioses- trading carbon for nitrogen or another plant-limiting nutrient- is agreed upon by American and European scientists.

We start entering hot water when we look more closely at the actual microbial players in this game- who are they and what exactly are they doing? “Microbe” is really a very generic term that can refer to pretty much any organism that is invisible to the unaided eye. Within this umbrella grouping, two slightly more specific classess of organisms seem to be important in the rhizosphere: protozoa and bacteria. Bacteria are the tiny prokaryotic organisms that are largely responsible for decomposition and the release of plant-available nutrients. Protozoa, however, are single celled eukaryotes. They are larger, have more complex cellular organization, and importantly, feed on their smaller bacterial neighbors. Any soil sample that contains bacteria almost certainly contains protozoa as well. The relationship between these two groups of microorganisms represents a classic and well-studied predatory-prey model.

So, given that plants are feeding microbes by dumping sugar into the soil, who is the sugar intended for? The bacteria, or the protozoa? The classic paradigm would argue that the bacteria, as the important nutrient-acquiring organisms, are the intended recipients of plant carbon exudates.

But what does this make the protozoa? Are they just thieves, stealing a farmer’s corn that was intended to feed his cattle? Numerous studies have shown that protozoan populations increase dramatically in the presence of plant carbon exudates because they are using the carbon themselves. A high-energy, readily available food source is just as appealing to protozoa as it is to bacteria. Why would plants, that have perfected so many survival strategies over evolutionary time, allow this to happen?

The microbial loop theory argues that it is the protozoa that plants are “cultivating”. Why? Protozoa prey on bacteria, and bacteria, remember, are full of the nutrients that plants need. After eating a bacteria filled meal, a protozoa will likely excrete those same nutrients, making them available for plants. The protozoa are a conduit, passing nutrients to plants that would otherwise be locked up in the bacterial community.

There is mounting evidence from various lines of research in support of the microbial loop theory. Experiments have shown that early in development, plant root architecture is dramatically altered in the presence of protozoa. Increased root branching increases surface area, or “real estate” that protozoa can inhabit. “Tracer” studies, using a labeled isotope of a nutrient, are now providing evidence for a flow of soil nutrients from bacteria to protozoa before becoming plant-available. Finally, molecular studies of bacterial communities reveal an increased abundance of less-palatable bacterial species in the presence of protozoa, and an increased frequency of genes involved with bacterial defense. This genetic evidence underscores the importance of protozoan predation in structuring bacterial communities. Soon, perhaps, nano-cameras will be available to visualize what is actually happening in the rhizosphere between plants, bacteria and protozoa.

The importance of understanding this interaction is not trivial. The means by which plants get their nutrients has ramifications for ecosystem productivity, ecosystem nutrient cycling, and responses to environmental change. Should we progress forward in the field of ecosystem science, a critical reexamination (and open discussion!) of what exactly is going on in the rhizosphere between plants and they critters they cultivate is necessary.

A detailed review of microbial loop theory and a paper that addresses some of the important counter-arguments:

1. Bonkowski, M. Protozoa and plant growth: the microbial loop in soil revisited. NEW PHYTOLOGIST 162, 617-631 (2004).
2. Ekelund, F., Saj, S., Vestergard, M., Bertaux, J. & Mikola, J. The “soil microbial loop” is not always needed to explain protozoan stimulation of plants. SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY 41, 2336-2342 (2009).

https://wyrdscience.wordpress.com/2...ars-of-cross-atlantic-communication-barriers/

Moto

Moto

@Ecompost I figure you will love this thread.. Fixing to read and look over myself =)

Thanks for posting

Ecompost

Ecompost

The more forest ecologists learn about plant nutrients, the more evidence accumulates that plants are not simply passive organisms whose chances of survival are based on environmental factors outside of their control. In acquiring basic nutrients from the soil, one may well imagine that a plant’s success is dependent on chemical properties of the soil alone. By simple “luck of the draw”, plants that seed in nutrient-rich spots will grow faster and larger than plants seeding in nutrient poor regions.

In several of my previous posts, I’ve addressed this issue one way or another, talking about plant-mychorrizhal associations and root-grafting as strategies that allow less fortunately placed plants to acquire sufficient nutrients to survive. I’d like to now address an entirely different theory concerning plant nutrient acquisition, one which, despite thirty years of European research, remains hotly contested and represents one of the major theoretical divides between European and American soil/plant ecologists.

The microbial-loop theory is a paradigm developed several decades ago and has become a cornerstone of European thinking about how plants interact with other soil organisms. In essence a relatively simple idea, the microbial loop would, if proved, require the reevaluation of a huge body of North American literature about plant nutrient acquisition, which generally argues that that basic nutrient demands and stoichiometric constraints- most notably nitrogen limitation in temperate forests and phosphorous limitation in the tropics, exert a fundamental control over forest productivity.

It is well known that plants exert significant control over the processes that occur in the rhizosphere, a narrow zone of soil and pore space that surrounds their roots. Here, plants dump simple sugars such as glucose in order to nourish an active microbial community. They apparently do so because microbes exhibit a diverse array of metabolic capabilities that plants themselves do not have. Microbial processes release essential nutrients, such as nitrogen, from complex organic matter in a plant-soluble form. This much about plant-microbe symbioses- trading carbon for nitrogen or another plant-limiting nutrient- is agreed upon by American and European scientists.

We start entering hot water when we look more closely at the actual microbial players in this game- who are they and what exactly are they doing? “Microbe” is really a very generic term that can refer to pretty much any organism that is invisible to the unaided eye. Within this umbrella grouping, two slightly more specific classess of organisms seem to be important in the rhizosphere: protozoa and bacteria. Bacteria are the tiny prokaryotic organisms that are largely responsible for decomposition and the release of plant-available nutrients. Protozoa, however, are single celled eukaryotes. They are larger, have more complex cellular organization, and importantly, feed on their smaller bacterial neighbors. Any soil sample that contains bacteria almost certainly contains protozoa as well. The relationship between these two groups of microorganisms represents a classic and well-studied predatory-prey model.

So, given that plants are feeding microbes by dumping sugar into the soil, who is the sugar intended for? The bacteria, or the protozoa? The classic paradigm would argue that the bacteria, as the important nutrient-acquiring organisms, are the intended recipients of plant carbon exudates.

But what does this make the protozoa? Are they just thieves, stealing a farmer’s corn that was intended to feed his cattle? Numerous studies have shown that protozoan populations increase dramatically in the presence of plant carbon exudates because they are using the carbon themselves. A high-energy, readily available food source is just as appealing to protozoa as it is to bacteria. Why would plants, that have perfected so many survival strategies over evolutionary time, allow this to happen?

The microbial loop theory argues that it is the protozoa that plants are “cultivating”. Why? Protozoa prey on bacteria, and bacteria, remember, are full of the nutrients that plants need. After eating a bacteria filled meal, a protozoa will likely excrete those same nutrients, making them available for plants. The protozoa are a conduit, passing nutrients to plants that would otherwise be locked up in the bacterial community.

There is mounting evidence from various lines of research in support of the microbial loop theory. Experiments have shown that early in development, plant root architecture is dramatically altered in the presence of protozoa. Increased root branching increases surface area, or “real estate” that protozoa can inhabit. “Tracer” studies, using a labeled isotope of a nutrient, are now providing evidence for a flow of soil nutrients from bacteria to protozoa before becoming plant-available. Finally, molecular studies of bacterial communities reveal an increased abundance of less-palatable bacterial species in the presence of protozoa, and an increased frequency of genes involved with bacterial defense. This genetic evidence underscores the importance of protozoan predation in structuring bacterial communities. Soon, perhaps, nano-cameras will be available to visualize what is actually happening in the rhizosphere between plants, bacteria and protozoa.

The importance of understanding this interaction is not trivial. The means by which plants get their nutrients has ramifications for ecosystem productivity, ecosystem nutrient cycling, and responses to environmental change. Should we progress forward in the field of ecosystem science, a critical reexamination (and open discussion!) of what exactly is going on in the rhizosphere between plants and they critters they cultivate is necessary.

A detailed review of microbial loop theory and a paper that addresses some of the important counter-arguments:

1. Bonkowski, M. Protozoa and plant growth: the microbial loop in soil revisited. NEW PHYTOLOGIST 162, 617-631 (2004).
2. Ekelund, F., Saj, S., Vestergard, M., Bertaux, J. & Mikola, J. The “soil microbial loop” is not always needed to explain protozoan stimulation of plants. SOIL BIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY 41, 2336-2342 (2009).

https://wyrdscience.wordpress.com/2...ars-of-cross-atlantic-communication-barriers/
Bacteria are free ranging and dont require plants at all in my experience. When they find them on the surface of mars, we know this for sure.
I suspect the relationships are even more subtle than the microbial loop itself, which is a mere piece in a puzzle of a whole plant of course.
For example, Rhizophagy is the action of roots actively consuming yeast fungus colonies, themselves no doubt covered in bacteria and related protozoa in some active biome. Rhizophagy may well be the process by which Tricoderma fungus, and any relating biome of microbes end up in already sealed seed cases before they fall to the floor.

Productivity by chance, this may be more a case of productivity based on available life at the point of conception, rather than germination? And this may well have extraneous circumstances which at times favour a less ideal state of biology which itself may well be some deliberate response and so design.

Its too easy to say plants farm protozoa imo and so Protozoa are the key to plant nutrition is also bit too solid in a fluid world about which we know little. How many plants, that we use as humans actually have no relationship with fungus? Protozoa likely have no bearing on mycorrhizal colonization for example, but again post the association, protozoa may well be actors for a role as the external digestive system of the fungus, which in turn passes elements onwards to a plant, and or any other plant it might be currently interfaced with. May be the fungus and the Protozoa, or one then the other, may be fungus needs protozoa??? In the event there is no fungus, I suspect the system, just like other form of network, has a back up or failsafe. Direct feeds between microbes and plants eg not fungus when i say microbes, could well be one way plants continue to survive in the absence of more favored conditions.

In my head it works like this, plants farm fungus because fungus wants it too, fungus farms bacteria, protozoa are like sharks, sharks are still fish :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I love the feedback I get from you. Thats why I like to post this type of stuff up and let the debate roll.

For what it worth, I dont always buy in to or believe everything I post 100 %. I do however post to elicit responses from others as it augments the learning process. Thank you for your continued & solid, informative input @Ecompost :D

Moto

Moto

I love the feedback I get from you. Thats why I like to post this type of stuff up and let the debate roll.

For what it worth, I dont always buy in to or believe everything I post 100 %. I do however post to elicit responses from others as it augments the learning process. Thank you for your continued & solid, informative input @Ecompost :D

I enjoy reading it thats why I bring the @Ecompost nerd to the party.. LMAO hahah I love busting his chops either way he is a good friend and very informative and helpful.. Bug him its what I do LOL

Ecompost

Ecompost

its not that I disagree with the loop theory, rather I see it as a theory which has some quality but its a bit of a silo.
I think its vital for us to consider all the options, and there is very little debating RIS visually showing the flow and so its significance in the overall process.

Everything in its place, now if only I knew what that was and where it was...LOL There is so much to do, Harpins alone, I mean wtf, we farm ecoli? As you've already intimated, the requisite Biome of a plant, may in itself have loops of other mini biomes occurring within an overall that when we take a deep look might scare us.
Lets take something like Exophiala sp. Now this microbe dont look good for humanity, see Saxophone Lung, but we have found a strain that is awesome at drought protection in cucumbers, a plant that suffers from drought quickly escalating ethylene production, so I guess its some ACC+ bacteria and its this modulation that provides the environmental stress cover. It like many psuedomonas seem to inhibit ETR1 in times of drought, so this ETR1 being a requisite plant response protein stimulated by many yeasts at times of stress. ADH-1 insertions from yeasts that stimulate ethylene receptor accumulation in plants when plants are suffering intolerable conditions. nature deciding its had enough if you will.
AAC+ bacteria appear to inhibit this ADH-1 gene protein so mitigating the obvious threat of yeast fungus in drought and our plants associations with biology that in times of less stress we really dont notice. So now, is this protozoa eating psuedomonas that releases the AAC which inhibits the yeast, or is this psuedomonas just being psuedomonas, or are plants eating these AAC+ bacteria directly as with yeasts via Rhizophagy, where it acts as a Harpin does to seal gaps of pathogen attacks, between cells spaces for example?
Looking at PSBs like psuedomonas, now are they there because protozoa want them, or the plant needs the AAC-1 to prevent premature maturity, or may be Glomus Intraradices needs them to enable to full capacity of hyphal tips operating as individuals from a central core attached to a plant or plants to scavenge phosphates?

Ecompost

Ecompost

I enjoy reading it thats why I bring the @Ecompost nerd to the party.. LMAO hahah I love busting his chops either way he is a good friend and very informative and helpful.. Bug him its what I do LOL
he does...but hes like a butterfly, and no one hate butterflies now do they

Ecompost

Ecompost

I would agree. Let me know if you find the final release. Peace bro
So today, I have been studying secondary metabolites of Mucor spp. Now my plant wont want the primary decayer for which this yeast mold is more commonly know, but the Chitinase we can use to trigger ISR and so have some additional support from Abiotic stresses eg drought or Biotic eg incognita nematodes. Grazing nematodes may well be the transit vector for this in the wild, or perhaps the Mucor itself is offering the plant some defense in order that it can capitalise in some other way?

So my theory for shits and giggles is, the Mucor denies its primary metabolites during a brief interaction with a plant, which enables a modulation via gene insertion, this mod simultaneously allows the plant to defend against attack whiles its natural actions go on to lure in unwitting victims of the fungus trap. :-) So if you like, the fungus is the gamekeeper the plant is the lure, but the fungus is also poacher, the insects or micro arthropods are the victims. Its a biological card trick :-)
If the plant fails to lure in adequate game, then the poacher turns lumberjack and fells the tree :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

Damn........ Hunter becomes the hunted :(
I am trying to square how a plant might exist surrounded by aspergilus or mucor or ecoli, and yet seem in perfect health. We know these spores are omni present, in every country, in all soils and more. How can it be that some plants fail amid Phytopthora infestans while a plant next door might remain unaffected. has the neighbor plant got protection post infection, or was it protected beforehand?

Ecompost

Ecompost

I was reading recent ACT results in US uni studies, on pathogen control and the data just doesnt make sense. Have you seen any of the field study data? Its really bizarre and lacks any pattern or consistency. More than 1 university several in fact, so it cant be all down to quality control/ production quality of inputs and or equipment. I mean if its that hardcore that universities cant even mix it up, then how much use is it for pathogen control for our community? I think we have to say its a plant growth thing right until someone really proves it to be beneficial as an IPM.
Looking at the secondary metabolites has meant I havent brewed via aeration for several months and I am not sure i will again in hope of getting some worthwhile defense.
I am having far more luck with Anaerobic brews as an IPM
here is a general search on the topic, see the results across the board are unconvincing

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=compost+tea+field+studies&t=h

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

@Ecompost I figure you will love this thread.. Fixing to read and look over myself =)

Thanks for posting
How did I miss this one? Ya I think someone mentioned a book...but for starters maybe we can group up all these links or at least have them in a jumpingcactus forum JAJAJAJA but seriously thanks for all these contributions.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I am trying to square how a plant might exist surrounded by aspergilus or mucor or ecoli, and yet seem in perfect health. We know these spores are omni present, in every country, in all soils and more. How can it be that some plants fail amid Phytopthora infestans while a plant next door might remain unaffected. has the neighbor plant got protection post infection, or was it protected beforehand?

Think it may be different levels of reaistant from different cultivars?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

may be mate....may be its colder than that, and the decayer's are literally taking plants by a series of indicators, so deliberately targeting plants that omit a certain frequency?

Like spider mites showing up after the plant gets pissed and releases a stress pheromone.

Edit: thought of a better (or at least different) analogy: like a lion going after the weakest member of a herd of potential prey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom