The Quest For Trichomes (a Story Of Micro Cultivation)

• Thread starter SMACKA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SMACKA

SMACKA

Just going back through the photos from today, it's sure hard to believe these girls have been vegging for 4 months at this point.

Next steps on the schedule are:

1. Take Clones and get some youngin's growing up. Going back to my first post, the goal here is to run through an entire life cycle of cannabis a couple times with these cheaper genetics before I pop some of my better beans.

2. Get Perpetual by staggering clones into the tent. The current plants are much bigger than most will be, as I simply couldn't fit 6 of those bushes in the tent, plus throwing tiny clones in at 12/12 won't allow them to get that large. Now that the tent's in motion and getting full of those two plants, I'm ready to focus on staggering some clones in there every month or so.

SMACKA

SMACKA

The girls have started drinking a lot more. Three weeks ago they were thirsty every 6-8 days, then a two weeks ago that dropped to 4-5 days, and now they're showing slight wilting (more like deflation) at 3-4 days.

My pH pen didn't need any calibration today, which is promising. Today's feed: pH in 5.85, pH out 6.15

They've been fed 1.5mL/L since Jun 2. At this point they look lime green, which v12 mentioned means they're hungry, but at the same time the tips are looking burnt and the plants continue to look sick, so -- as usual -- I'm waiting to hear back from you guys on my next move.

Here's what they looked like before being fed today... No lights on them so you can see the true colours.

White Widow - light green, purple tips, purple stems, purple veins, splotches on lower leaves

2017 07 24 133117

Purple Kush - slightly droopy (thirsty), purple stems, light green, scorched/yellow tips, skinny leaves with big ripples

2017 07 24 133015

Appreciate all the help. Let me know what you think...

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I haven't seen you mention anything about pH, it's important bro.
It is indeed.even in soil.people say u don't need to ph in soil and you can get away with not phing but the best results will always come from plants that have been given properly phed feeds.in soil id say between 6.5 -7 for best results in soil

Dutch Jon

Dutch Jon

"...properly phed feeds.in soil id say between 6.5 -7 for best results in soil..."

He's in coco base substrate, IDK how different that canna type coco base is but I shoot for a 5.9 in coco @SMACKA their looking better but maybe address the pH issue a little stronger i.e. a good 5.5 pH flush right before your next good feeding.

SMACKA

SMACKA

He's in coco base substrate, IDK how different that canna type coco base is but I shoot for a 5.9 in coco @SMACKA their looking better but maybe address the pH issue a little stronger i.e. a good 5.5 pH flush right before your next good feeding.

That might be the problem. In Post 1 I mentioned it was coco base incorrectly, before @Mr Bee corrected me. Check out his response:

Your not in coco.canna pro plus is a well amended soil.make sure to let the plant dry out a bit between waterings and giv just water for atleast 10 days while small like that.
Canna pro+ is an excellent soil.its what I use also wen growing in soil.it has a nice spongey consistency which roots love.i find it worth paying the few£ extra to get the pro+ over pro terra

Sure enough, when I checked the bag, it is a peat-based soil. The bag says pH 5.8–6.2 so I assume this means we're good in terms of run off.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible the 4mL/L to 1.5mL/L drop was too much, and that pH is fine, but now showing various nute deficiencies?

If not...

2) @Mr Bee has grown in it before so I'm tempted to up my pH even though everyone else is saying to go lower. Wondering if "pH to 6" has been an incorrect mantra this whole time, and that the pH issues we're seeing are because it's 0.5 too low.

NEW THREAD !!!

Since it's just you and I going back and forth at this point, I opened a sister thread in the General Growing forum to see if we can get more traction. Feel free to keep the discussion going here, or to join the other thread and continue it there:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...trichomes-a-story-of-micro-cultivation.90537/

Last edited:
SMACKA

SMACKA

The hunch of nutrient deficiency came from the fact the bag recommends 5.8–6.2 pH and that's where I've been feeding for 10 days with no noticeable change.

The hunch of pH being too low came from the fact that I've dialed nutes back, and there's still a bunch of funky blotches, purpling, lime green leaves, and skinny leaves.

Dutch Jon

Dutch Jon

OK thanks Smack, good to know. It still sounds the pH level of 6.0 is what to shoot for . . There so many factors to narrow down i.e. lighting, too wet, too dry, root development, frequency of watering/feeding yada yada . . I'll check out the other thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom