The real magical additive, Ascophyllum Nodosum

• Thread starter Hashshashin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hashshashin

Well i cnt give you a certain amount because theres so many variables that come into play.. it also depends on how Nitrozime extracts their product. it doesnt seem like anything special to me personally and is more marketing hype. Most of what they stated is just simple facts about sea kelp within itself. It would be hard to burn plants with the seaweed on the other hand, but i think a cup per gallon is more than enough to make a strong concentrate

I don't know how you could make an active dry culture. THere is surely to be a way but the only form i'm aware of is freeze dried. The better cultures are in liquid form. you could probably try and freeze dry your own specimens but i still think theres better sources for all the required work. The only problem with dry cultures is their basically dormant micro's so you have to hope for the best with no chance of being able to check. You have a better chance than others though. I would suggest making compost tea's, you will have more micro life going on than you could imagine. Simple fungal sources really make a great all around tea. Remember that actions within the rhizosphere cycle so more fungi equals more bacteria and so on. There are some good sources of soluble or fungi tabs from reputable fungi growers. This is the only way to ensure you have the proper fungi, which are probably the most important for a working soil.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

are there any ASCOPHYLLUM NODOSUM extracts for hydroponics? I've seen the algen extract from house & garden but that stuff is rediculously pricey. Can you mix the powder into a hydro mix or will it just fall out and end up on the bottom of the res? I'm using the B.seaweed right now, but that's not ASCOPHYLLUM NODOSUM. I'm going for organic hydro utilizing a compressed air diaphram water pump to keep from chewing up turbines. Any thoughts?

H

Hashshashin

i believe the soluble powder i mentioned is HIGHLY soluble. The humic acid powder i have made by the same company dissolves almost immediately. This is the only powder i would suggest, but would check out what they say first about your application. You have the right idea on pumps though. Most organics have a problem with being forced through any kind of pump so i'd try to avoid that at all costs. Theres some super strong water pumps out there also if your interested. The type we use for making teas, not the typical diapraham air pump.

You can always use kelpak, its good stuff and liquid form. Even though i rely on making my own nutrients.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Here's the pump I'm planning on using, maybe a bigger one. I'm ordering a bag of the powder, great deal for $90! Look at the price of the H&G Algen Extract! AAAH!

H

Hashshashin

i heard its not good to buy it in bulk just because it can clump up if you you really dont go through it. If you have a lot of plants though it will prove itself. You only need to use 1/2tsp of the powder per gal. if its the soluble KIS stuff. Lighter if you feed it with every watering. This is per instructions of the seller of the stuff. Thats one beastly pump by the way 2cfm! You can make a helluva tea with that! Things gonna be loud!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
are there any ASCOPHYLLUM NODOSUM extracts for hydroponics? I've seen the algen extract from house & garden but that stuff is rediculously pricey. Can you mix the powder into a hydro mix or will it just fall out and end up on the bottom of the res? I'm using the B.seaweed right now, but that's not ASCOPHYLLUM NODOSUM. I'm going for organic hydro utilizing a compressed air diaphram water pump to keep from chewing up turbines. Any thoughts?

Biobizz Topmax is Ascophyllum Nodosum with Humic acid. The old formula would foam up real bad in rezs and smelled horrible. The new formula is in a clear bottle and is not quite as milky. Also has a Hydro feed chart on it now. Now I havent used the new formula in rezs yet but I have been using topmax for quite a while on soil and just read today what was in it (always thought it was humic and traces). Great stuff and after reading this thread I like it a little more :)

Thx for all the great info and thread.

Also when worried about stuff that falls out of suspension, a-la Floranova for example, in a rez I used a recirculating pump. Best Idea is to locate it outside your rez as you will just be adding extra heat to the rez running it 24/7. That will keep almost anything from coming out of suspension.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I just got mine in the mail today from this place here

It took about 3 weeks to get it, but it's well worth it. About $45 for 11lbs shipped. I blended up just 5 tablespoons in warm water and it made a quart of concentrated liquid fert. 11lbs must be good for 30 or so gallons of concentrated liquid. It smells like a nice japanese seaweed salad. I tasted some and it tastes great. I'm in love with this stuff.

Hashashin, BIG props for turning me on to AN. :hi:

H

Hashshashin

Seems like a good price. Let me know how it goes. Once you start using it you won't know why you haven't been using it earlier.

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Was definitely a good read. I started a thread asking if anyone has tried Maxicrop~1-0-4 soluble seaweed powder. Its a powdered pure AN for hydro application. I mix my concentrate stock solution at 2/3 lb per gallon. I then add 5ml of the stock solution for every gallon of nutrient mix in my hydro system. I'm using it in conjunction with H&G in place of the Algen Extract. Its completely soluble in warm water and costs about $100 for a 10lbs box. Thanx -Keepz

I

Islander

Thanks for this. Is there anyplace to buy a good AN product over the counter in Southern Calif.? I went to the Peaceful Valley website (and even called them) about the 55lb bag of Algit. They were great but cannot guarantee that they can get it to me before I really need it. I have searched the internet and called all over with no luck whatsoever.

D

dican01

maxicrop soluble seaweed powder (1-0-4) is the best i have seen. maxicrop carries liquified seaweed also but it has chlorine in it. i have used maxicrop both outdoors and indoors with amazing results.
maxicrop soluble seaweed is the best their is. good for rooting cuttings, foliar feeding, adding to compost tea, or just water into roots. anyone else love maxicrop as much as i do?

H

Hashshashin

Actually Maxicrop is the WORST i've seen. The best source of AN extract is to make it yourself or by the soluble powder by KIS. I've used many types of AN and i saw no benefits from the maxicrop.

C

cymbaline

no affiliation whatsoever but this is
what I use and while I don't know about the cost vs what everyone else is paying I don't think 5$ a pound
is too bad and certified as well if that matters to you.
Shipping isn't that great if you live far but might not be too bad for you,
going from Oregon to S. Cali..

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Actually Maxicrop is the WORST i've seen. The best source of AN extract is to make it yourself or by the soluble powder by KIS. I've used many types of AN and i saw no benefits from the maxicrop.

So you say that BOTH Maxicrop Soluble powder and their liquid version are the worst? "buy the soluble powder by KIS"... i'm assuming this is Kelpak? A distributor 4 kelpak is hard 2 find locally or even on the net. If u can giv me a link i would greatly appreciate it.
I've been using the Maxicrop in the rez 4 my UC and i've noticed a change in leaf thickness and more branching. Then i decided 2 start alternating between Magic Green and Maxicrop for foliar. I dont minding spending extra money as long as i get the tru benefits of the kelp. Thanx again -Keepz

L

LBZ Farmer

Is the soluable stuff the same as the meal only finer? I was thinking I could buy thed bulk meal and just use my blender to make it a super fine powder. I have the blendtek which pretty much makes anything a super fine powder beyond belief.... thanks for the info good read!

D

dican01

sorry hashshashin, but maxicrop works great and IS the best. what research do you have to say it is the worst? the world's leading farmers and growers would probably disagree with you. i am sure that KIS works just fine and other sources of ascophyllum nodosum work good too. i have used others with good results, but i always come back to maxicrop. i am not the only one who loves this stuff. a lot of the best growers/farmers i have met have used this stuff with great results. i use maxicrop indoors and outdoors with instant results.
maxicrop is completely organic ascophyllum nodosum. research has shown that maxicrop seaweed increases root growth by 60%. this gives your plants the foundation for bigger, better quality fruits and vegetables and more prolific blooms. it also makes plants more resistant to stresses.
maxicrop is probably the leading manufacturer of seaweed extracts in the world. professional farmers all over the world use this stuff with great results.
maxicrop's plant health programs are backed by what is the most comprehensive technical research and development database in the industry.
i would not suggest making your own as the sourcing is what this is all about. maxicrop get's their AN from one of the best sources in the world, off the coast of Norway.
you might prefer KIS or some other brand hashshashin, but don't say maxicrop is the worst. that is just not true. i have used the stuff for years with good results and i am not the only one. this is a good company who has been doing this a long time (over 50 years now). anyone have any good feedback from maxicrop?

C

cymbaline

Dican01 do you work for maxicrop? lol
ascophyllum nodosum should be the same where ever you
buy it at.
Super fine or not it's all the same with a different label
on it. If it isn't, than it isn't true ascophyllum nodosum.
correct if I'm wrong here.. At least that was the reason
I threw a link out there for a different supplier of it.
IF it isn't superfine big deal, make a tea with it.
Same thing..

L

LBZ Farmer

Like anything else.... there are subtle differences in product. My medicine will be different than yours yet they are both weed.. I could see harvest to consumer could have larg differences and that might even change by the season??????

C

cymbaline

Like anything else.... there are subtle differences in product. My medicine will be different than yours yet they are both weed.. I could see harvest to consumer could have larg differences and that might even change by the season??????

I agree with you there; outdoor can be different from
one hill to the next. If we are talking outdoor grown only.

With that said, what makes Atlantic/norwegian sea AN
different than pacific AN?
I read that if there is a lot of human activity(boating)
in the area the AN is harvested from it will have higher
copper concentrations due to the anti-fouling paint
used on boats. So that is one subtle difference.

If the AN has the omri designation shouldn't it all be
harvested/processed the same way to keep that designation?
Shouldn't be any difference there from company a to b.
With extracts yes I could see differences, but than
I need to ask what are they removing and can it really be called AN at that point?
Even labeling it organic I would think would
be gray area since it has been processed.
Or is that being too purist?

Top Bottom