The Skunky Dunk farm

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
What don’t ya like/wish ya had for flower? I mean y the 7?

This is just my impressions of the first round with them.
Im not happy with the final product.
The top of the canopy turned deep purple, the calyxs turned purple as well on plants that have no purple leanings.
All hairs turned dark red but only the top of the canopy.
The ends of the canopy look beautiful and green, same genetics.
But all red hairs at week 7. The Banners are a 10 to 11 week flowering plant.
Down under the canopy green and white pistals everywhere.

Maybe its something to do with the reds.
Might need to turn them off around week 6 or 7.

Nobody116

Nobody116

I've noticed a similar thing with these blurple Morsen lights that I'll be getting rid of soon 🙃

Top of the canopy is great, the rest is kinda pathetic. I almost feel like I should harvest the top maybe 12" and let them go for another week or two?

"Most" of the lights I've looked at over the last few years all state they have a penetration of 24" :(
Anything that has better penetration is super expensive.

I wish I had saved the link now, but I saw one the other day that stated 10' of penetration 😳
It was like $2K for a 1K equivalent, pulled about 500W. Too rich for my blood :(

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The top of the canopy turned deep purple, the calyxs turned purple as well on plants that have no purple leanings.

By that description of the lower buds it almost seems like it doesn't have the penetration of an HPS?

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I've noticed a similar thing with these blurple Morsen lights that I'll be getting rid of soon 🙃

Top of the canopy is great, the rest is kinda pathetic. I almost feel like I should harvest the top maybe 12" and let them go for another week or two?

"Most" of the lights I've looked at over the last few years all state they have a penetration of 24" :(
Anything that has better penetration is super expensive.

I wish I had saved the link now, but I saw one the other day that stated 10' of penetration 😳
It was like $2K for a 1K equivalent, pulled about 500W. Too rich for my blood :(

Im not complaining about penetration, these panels at 30 inches from the canopy kept them green down to the soil 2 feet lower the whole grow.

They are "fantastic" for vegging and flower,i just dont care for the effect it has on flower. The reds may need to be turned off around the middle of flower. Time will tell, they surely arent going in the junk pike! Ill be running 6 of them this round.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I see the same things with both lights mars and kingbrite as far as the purpling affect, I’ve been playin with it for a month of 2 now , so I’m be watching as a more experienced grower solves this issue. I don’t particul care for all the color, strains I like my smoke mean and green. Lol

Moshmen

Moshmen

Mind you I have only flowered one plant with mixed light, but I liked the result of the mars and the kingbrite mixed , my next setup will include both
My opinion is I seem to get denser, heavier buds with the mars sp-250 (all white) and the kingbrite seems to produce more frost, and higher quality Absolutely no science behind this just a 2 round observation

stoner_123

stoner_123

Rock on man ! Keep growing ole grey beard!
I have same issue on certain strains I feel like it’s missin something nutrient wise? I have issues with the mars white light as well
I just germinated 9 seeds that I saved from a trip to hawaii .... ready for this ... december 1981!! Ya boss ... 1981!! so 9/25 sprouted and have now been planted.... This was before the genetics came around .. true hawaiian maui wowie ....

basscaptain

basscaptain

I would just run them 2 hrs morning and 1 hr at night.... you just have to flip the switchs .....

last run I had the same thing happen a little when the buds got to close to the light

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Like anything there is a bit of a learning curve when moving to LED from HPS, the plants do not respond the same ways. Because LED offers a much broader spectrum of light more elements of photosynthesis are going on in relation to plants growing under HPS. What is typically seen is a greater usage of calcium, but I will say that your plants do not look calcium deficient. As for your hairs, they have no bearing on whether or not your plants are done, it should come down to trichome production and maturity; so using them to determine how finished your plants are is inaccurate. I am sure you know this, but are still looking at your plants the same way you would as if they were grown under HPS, this is part of the shift in mentality when growing under LED.

As for the purple showing, all plants are capable of going purple, it is due to the production of anthocyanin. Technically anthocyanin would count as a terpene, and LED lights seem to bring out greater terpene expressions. So seeing the coloring come in is not abnormal. The production of terpenes will have an effect on the flavors and effects of your final product. So, if there are effects or flavors you were not expecting this is likely why you are experiencing them.

Also running those lights 30 inches above the canopy seems quite far for LED units. I know you saw some adverse effects early on, but typically LED units are run closer to the canopy than HPS would be; at the end of my runs my plants are less than 16 inches from the top of my plants, and with one of my units I like to have the plants finish between 8 and 10 inches from the tops. On your next run you may actually want to experiment with keeping the lights closer to your plants and see how that works for you.

One last thing, your plants do seem a bit green for harvest is that normal for your grows? A bit more of a flush may also aid in your final product.

I know you are no newbie, but you are definitely charting new territory for your grows. So keep at it and keep trying things out, but I think eventually you will find what works or you and your plants.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Like anything there is a bit of a learning curve when moving to LED from HPS, the plants do not respond the same ways. Because LED offers a much broader spectrum of light more elements of photosynthesis are going on in relation to plants growing under HPS. What is typically seen is a greater usage of calcium, but I will say that your plants do not look calcium deficient. As for your hairs, they have no bearing on whether or not your plants are done, it should come down to trichome production and maturity; so using them to determine how finished your plants are is inaccurate. I am sure you know this, but are still looking at your plants the same way you would as if they were grown under HPS, this is part of the shift in mentality when growing under LED.

As for the purple showing, all plants are capable of going purple, it is due to the production of anthocyanin. Technically anthocyanin would count as a terpene, and LED lights seem to bring out greater terpene expressions. So seeing the coloring come in is not abnormal. The production of terpenes will have an effect on the flavors and effects of your final product. So, if there are effects or flavors you were not expecting this is likely why you are experiencing them.

Also running those lights 30 inches above the canopy seems quite far for LED units. I know you saw some adverse effects early on, but typically LED units are run closer to the canopy than HPS would be; at the end of my runs my plants are less than 16 inches from the top of my plants, and with one of my units I like to have the plants finish between 8 and 10 inches from the tops. On your next run you may actually want to experiment with keeping the lights closer to your plants and see how that works for you.

One last thing, your plants do seem a bit green for harvest is that normal for your grows? A bit more of a flush may also aid in your final product.

I know you are no newbie, but you are definitely charting new territory for your grows. So keep at it and keep trying things out, but I think eventually you will find what works or you and your plants.

Howdy SG,
Very well said. It took 20 + years to dial my HID grows in. It was basically throw some beans in and come back and harvest it was so cemented in.
Now it is like starting over.
These do everything differant, and the height thing is going to be a challenge.
At 28 inches i was still getting heat damage.
Im going to run my old dependable gauno regiment this round also so less on style change and more focus on the LEDs.

OkieKush

OkieKush

@SkunkyDunk
How did your son do with the Maple Leaf Indica plants you gave him?

Top Bottom