The War on Medical Marijuana in MI Super Thread, NEWS,BUST,LAWS <<<<Updated Often>>>>

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DragonKilla

DragonKilla

Flint mom reports son's pot stash after fight over cake
pot2.jpg

Police in Flint arrested a 16-year-old boy for marijuana possession after his mother showed an officer the drugs following a dispute over a piece of cake.

The Flint Journal reports police were dispatched to a home on Saturday afternoon on a report of a domestic dispute and the woman told them about the argument.

According to a police report, the woman told the officer the boy had marijuana in his bedroom and would smoke it in the home in front of her other children. The woman got the marijuana from the room for police and the officer collected the drugs.

The boy was taken into custody. Names of those involved weren't immediately released.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2014/10/08/flint-cake-dispute-pot-bust/16898393/

Fantastic example at how to fail at being a good mother! :rolleyes:

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Man pleads guilty in UP marijuana school odor case

MARQUETTE, Mich. (AP) - An Upper Peninsula man has pleaded guilty to growing marijuana in an investigation that was triggered by a pot odor on his 6-year-old daughter at school.

Randall Fieck appeared in Marquette federal court on Wednesday after failing to convince a judge that police lacked probable cause to search his Dickinson County home last winter.

He's agreed to plead guilty to growing 50 or more marijuana plants.

Police went to Fieck's home after a school principal reported that his daughter had a strong odor of marijuana on her clothes. The girl said her dad was growing pot in the basement.

Fieck had a medical marijuana card, but the number of plants exceeded the limit.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Attorney General candidate Mark Totten promises to be lawyer 'for the people'
bissell-demrally-06-392fb308ccf144a2.jpg

LANSING, MI – Democratic Attorney General candidate Mark Totten moved back to Michigan to be near family, but his concern now is representing every citizen in the state.

“The AG is meant to be a lawyer for people. Where there are harms that affect people across the state, the AG has the responsibility to serve as the lawyer, the advocate, the voice for people,” Totten said.

Right now Republican Bill Schuette serves as Attorney General, but come Jan. 1 Totten is hoping he’s in that role. It was Schuette’s actions as Attorney General that inspired Totten to run.

“If Bill Schuette had been doing his job, maybe a bit lackluster, but if he’d just been doing his job I don’t know if I’d be running,” Totten said.

One issue he’s been vocal on his disagreement with Schuette on is gay marriage, particularly the DeBoer v Snyder case.

The state constitution has a ban on gay marriage that Schuette has been vigorously defending in court. Totten said that he would have dealt with the situation by being on the other side of the case and appointing an independent special assistant attorney general to defend the provision in the state constitution.

Born in Kalamazoo and raised by his single mother, Totten started delivering newspapers, working at the local library and stocking groceries third shift at Meijer to save for college. He went to Yale, getting a law degree and a PhD in Ethics. He worked for the U.S. Department of Justice before clerking for a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington D.C.

“Then our daughter was born. We wanted to get back to Michigan to raise our family,” Totten said.

He started teaching at the Michigan State University College of Law, and volunteered his time as a federal prosecutor for the U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan.

As Attorney General, he would like to see changes to the state’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) law. He says he would issue an Attorney General Opinion clarifying that government employees conducting state business on personal email addresses would have those person e-mail addresses subject to FOIA.

He would also like to make the Governor’s office subject to FOIA and look at subjecting the legislature as well. He acknowledged those priorities may take legislative action, but said he’d be out on front in discussing the issue.

Totten would like to make the medical marijuana law work, but when it comes to decriminalization he says it’s not his issue.

“I’ve never smoked pot in my life. I think I’ve smelled it a few times, but I’m not the marijuana guy,” Totten said.

He mentored a youth who got into marijuana in high school and wasn’t the same afterward. He said he’s looking at what other states are doing around marijuana decriminalization but doesn’t yet see the data to support such a switch.

When he’s not teaching or campaigning, Totten likes getting outdoors and camping with his family. His wife, Kristin, is also an attorney and they have two children.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/10/attorney_general_candidate_mar.html

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Suspicious fire caused by medical marijuana cardholder 'open blasting' for hash oil, police say

-0169f18a54f1dd5c.JPG

-1f50366fb9992a3f.JPG
-e376f1e3cf5e4333.JPG

-2d73f632621e41c1.JPG
-e376f1e3cf5e4333.JPG

LEONI TWP., MI – A 20-year-old Leoni Township man was attempting to extract hash oil by "open blasting" Wednesday night when he was injured by an explosion that caught his home on fire, police said.

The man suffered burns to his hands and face after a fire broke out in the upstairs bedroom of his home at 4600 E. Michigan Avenue, Blackman-Leoni Public Safety Deputy Director Jon Johnston said.

The man lived in the home with his parents and was transferred to the hospital by his mother after the explosion, Johnston said.

Johnston said when crews arrived at about 9:30 p.m. Oct. 22, flames and smoke were visible from an upstairs bedroom in the residence. Johnston said crews were able to contain the fire to the upstairs bedroom but the structure had smoke and water damage throughout.

"The parents at first were evasive about their son's whereabouts and how the fire started," Johnston said. "Once it was determined that an explosion had occurred and that the mother had taken the son to the hospital we became concerned that it could have been a meth lab explosion."

Johnston said the Jackson Narcotics Enforcement Team was called to the scene and determined that the 20-year-old victim was attempting to extract hash oil from marijuana.

"This is a process called open blasting and involves heating the marijuana with butane gas. Butane is highly flammable and they use a small blow torch to heat up the product. Apparently there was some sort of spark that led to an explosion," Johnston said. "The 20-year-old apparently does have a medical marijuana card."

Johnston said it is unclear if the victim was in any violation of the medical marijuana law and JNET will continue investigating the incident.

Johnston said he did not have an update on the victim's condition but said he believes the man had injures that were not life threatening.

The Blackman-Leoni Public Safety Department was assisted at the scene by Grass Lake Township and Napoleon Township fire departments.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2014/10/suspicious_fire_caused_by_medi.html

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Southwest Enforcement Team raids South Haven medical marijuana dispensary
VIDEO>>>
SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A South Haven medical marijuana dispensary was raided Wednesday on Phoenix Street.

It happened late Wednesday afternoon at The U-Med Center.

It proved to be quite the afternoon for South Haven law enforcement officials and those who work in the businesses in the Phoenix Square strip mall.

The Southwest Enforcement Team has placed two men under arrest, and they have a warrant out for a third in connection with a sting operation on the activities taking place at the U-Med wellness center.

Detective Lieutenant Wayne Edington, with SWET, tells Newshcannel 3 that they have been investigating complaints that the location has been used as a marijuana dispensary, which is illegal in Michigan.

Newschannel 3 spoke with a young man who witnessed the raid, and a business manager next door, who explained that her neighbors' activities were bad for business.

"It was a blue Chrysler van, pulled up just in front of me, and stopped, about 7 officers got out, adn they meant business," said Ken Nash, who works next door. "They went right in the door and at that point they assumed control of what was going on inside, and about 10 to 15 minutes later, they brought a gentleman outside in handcuffs."

"For our cusotmers coming in, it's kind of embarrassing, because they smell it and they think it's us," said Tonya McGee, who works next door.

Det./Lt. Edington says he expects there will be more arrests at more locations over the next 48 hours.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Driver had THC in system at time of Leelanau County crash

LEELANAU CO -- Toxicology reports are in from an August crash that killed 31-year-old Brian Nachazel of Cedar as well as 17-year-old Drake Hendershot from Empire.

Tyler LeVeque, the 17-old-driver who allegedly ran a stop sign causing the crash, had THC, the chemical in marijuana, in his system according to the report.

Leelanau County Prosecutor Joe Hubbell has not charged LeVeque with anything yet. He said he wants to make sure he has all of the facts before he makes a decision.

But Nachazel's family says they hope some sort of action is taken.

“I don't know if I'll ever have peace of mind or feel like things are good enough because honestly all I want is Brian and I'm never going to get that,” said Nachazel’s fiancé, Whitney Chandler.

It’s been two months since Brian Nachazel died in a car crash in Leelanau County. Witnesses told investigators that LeVeque was trying to “get air” over hills at the time of the crash. At the time, the sheriff described that as reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

“It's almost worse that they were doing something so foolish and had drugs in their system,” said Chandler.

According to the prosecutor, because LeVeque had levels of THC in his system at the time of the crash doesn’t necessarily mean that he was under the influence at that time. But he said he will review the report and make his decision about the next steps within a week.

“I am sort of expecting that it will be very soon that something comes of it and that charges are filed or arrests are made,” said Chandler.

And although nothing will bring her fiancé back, she hopes justice will be served.

“I think that that they should have to pay for the consequences of their actions but it's never going to be enough or what I really want,” said Chandler.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=1113869

germinator

germinator

"According to the prosecutor, because LeVeque had levels of THC in his system at the time of the crash doesn’t necessarily mean that he was under the influence at that time. But he said he will review the report and make his decision about the next steps within a week."

“I am sort of expecting that it will be very soon that something comes of it and that charges are filed or arrests are made,” said Chandler.

Pssst....I think what he's saying is if the metabolites in his body are defended in court by a good attorney or not. I'm thinking

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
MICHIGAN ATTORNEY GENERAL BILL SCHUETTE OBSESSED WITH MARIJUANA
schuette.jpeg

By Michael Komorn

This past April, seven Michigan Representatives led by Rep Jeff Irwin (D-Ann Arbor) introduced House Bill 4623, which would reduce the penalties for those caught with 1 ounce or less of marijuana. First time offenders would face a fine of $25, second offenses would carry a $50 fine, and a $100 fine would be levied for subsequent offenses. When asked about our prohibitionist policy toward marijuana, one of the members on the bipartisan committee, Representative Mike Shirkey (R), had this to say, ”The data is clear, we’re spending a lot of money, a lot of energy and a lot of resources in Michigan and across the nation to try to accomplish something that, frankly, we’ve failed at.”

Michigan currently has 128,441 active registered qualified patients and 26,875 active registered primary caregivers. There have also been 402,688 applications submitted to the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs office since April of 2009. Even with a patient or caregiver card, members of the medical marijuana program continue to be arrested and thrown into the criminal Justice System. Bill Schuette, the current Attorney General and leading law enforcement agent in Michigan remains ardently opposed to any measure that would lessen the punishment for the possession of any amount. According to Schuette, ”We should not go down this road of legalizing drugs…It exposes young kids, children, to ever more potent drugs use, and I think that’s not good for the in the future.”

Since he was elected in 2010, Scheutte has issued 14 Opinions, 4 of which have been about Medical Marijuana. Aside from issuing the opinions (all of which have been anti-medical marijuana), Scheutte has hosted seminars for law enforcement across the state. When my office inquired whether I could sit in on one, I was told they were for police and local government officials only. At these seminars, Scheutte instructed officers to arrest patients, confiscate any medical marijuana, and let the courts decide whether a crime had been committed. The AG went on further to explain that if a police officer returned the seized cannabis to the patient or caregiver, they themselves could be charged with the felony offense of delivery of a schedule one controlled substance.

It is unfortunate that the political landscape for the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act finds the attorney general, the leading law enforcement agent of the state, as such an obstructionist for the implementation of the voters initiative of 2008. His opposition to the law passing was well publicized when he was acting as the spokesperson for Citizens Protecting Michigan’s Kids. Despite his arcane and illogical arguments, Michigan voters overwhelmingly passed the Michigan Medical Marihuana act by a 63% margin, totaling 3,008,980 votes. Never in the history of Michigan elections had more votes been cast. Many of the issues that exist in the implementation have been perpetuated by his failed policy of viewing the MMMA as a public safety issue instead of a public health issue.

Michigan voters should take heed of the failed implementation of the MMMA, understand where much of the blame should be directed, and hope for a more rational approach from our next candidates who wish to serve the People of the State of Michigan.
http://komornlaw.com/komornlawblog/michigan-attorney-general-bill-schuette-obsessed-with-marijuana/

Last edited:
Top Bottom