The Worst Wildlife Disease Outbreak Ever in North America

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
neverbreak

neverbreak

i read about this a while ago. very bad news if ya ask me. i love bats, think they're beautiful and amazin little creatures. to hear of something like this devastating their populations...very sad.

yeah sure, they can be a vector for disease, but chances of catchin anythin off 'em is pretty low. not often ya actually come into contact with a bat, right? plenty of other animals are vectors of disease - us included!! but that don't make 'em bad.

i for one hope they bounce back.

neverbreak

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, well, I think the chances of catching something from them vary from situation to situation. If I were living in my grandparents' house, the chances would be very high because there is, and has been for decades, a very large colony that lives in the attic space. Of course, the house is over 400yo, it's full of termites and now that no one's living in it, it's going to just fall down, but that's another story altogether. But, I find myself wondering if my mother's childhood asthma problems might have stemmed from living under a colony of bats. When I would visit my grandparents, there was plenty of contact with bats that flew into the house accidentally, through one of the open windows or doors (Puerto Rico, a town established 10yrs after Columbus' arrival in the New World)

Also, it's not necessarily the animals themselves (unless we're talking about a rabid bat), but the poop that's an issue, especially for people with respiratory and immune system problems.

Here's an old photo of the house, full o' bats, don't know who took it, but the last time I was there the house looked much the same. It's one plaza over from Porta Coeli in the town of San German.

Irizarry Sambolin home
clockworx

clockworx

With winter coming on, many types of animals look for refuges from the cold. Many times this means human habitats that they intend to stay in through the winter. Along with the mice and bugs, many homes will become a refuge for bats. The conventional wisdom to avoid a wild bat is true- they are susceptible to rabies and can spread it even through a very tiny bite. But after they are gone, the danger remains in your home- but not from rabies.
Bat guano can build up in attics and eaves that have been used by bats, and even if the human occupants of the building are not aware of the dung, they can be harmed by it. After guano has lain around for a couple of years, a fungus can grow in it, releasing spores into the air that cause histoplasmosis in humans. The east and central parts of the U.S. are especially susceptible to the fungus that causes this disease.
Histoplasmosis can cause serious respiratory diseases in humans, causing fever and chest pains. If left untreated, histoplsmosis can turn into a chronic lung disease that resembles tuburculosis. In the very young and the very old, or people who already have cancer, AIDS or other serious illnesses, histoplasmosis can be fatal. Histoplasmosis can also travel from the lungs to the eyes, causing ocular histoplasmosis syndrome, which destroys the central vision (not periphreal). The lung problems can many times be cured with anti-fungal medications, but the ocular disease has no cure.
If bat guano is found in a home or other building, it is important to have it removed as soon as possible by a trained professional. A professional will search for any roosting bats that may be inside, then for any passageways that may be accessible to bats. Any points of entry have to be closed so that the bats do not reappear.
To remove guano, a professional will wear a respirator and dress in protective gear. The guano is usually sprayed with water or a fungicide so that the removal process will not cause the fungus to become airborne. It can then be cleaned up via a specialized vacuum, together with cleaning chemicals, or can be collected manually, or a combination of both.
If bat guano has been found in the house, especially if it has been there for a few years, it is important to watch for any symptoms and to get medical attention if any lung or eye disease symptoms begin. Early treatment is extremely important in the ocular histoplasmosis, as laser treatments can stop the vision loss, though they can not restore any vision that has already been lost.

neverbreak

neverbreak

Ah, well, I think the chances of catching something from them vary from situation to situation. If I were living in my grandparents' house, the chances would be very high because there is, and has been for decades, a very large colony that lives in the attic space. Of course, the house is over 400yo, it's full of termites and now that no one's living in it, it's going to just fall down, but that's another story altogether. But, I find myself wondering if my mother's childhood asthma problems might have stemmed from living under a colony of bats. When I would visit my grandparents, there was plenty of contact with bats that flew into the house accidentally, through one of the open windows or doors (Puerto Rico, a town established 10yrs after Columbus' arrival in the New World)

Also, it's not necessarily the animals themselves (unless we're talking about a rabid bat), but the poop that's an issue, especially for people with respiratory and immune system problems.

Here's an old photo of the house, full o' bats, don't know who took it, but the last time I was there the house looked much the same. It's one plaza over from Porta Coeli in the town of San German.

lol well that's a good point. i've never had bats coexistin with me before, so coming from them is fairly rare and exceedingly fleetin.

damn sea, ya grandparents really live in a house that old? far out, that's really something! yer essentially the closest thing to american royalty lol

With winter coming on, many types of animals look for refuges from the cold. Many times this means human habitats that they intend to stay in through the winter. Along with the mice and bugs, many homes will become a refuge for bats. The conventional wisdom to avoid a wild bat is true- they are susceptible to rabies and can spread it even through a very tiny bite. But after they are gone, the danger remains in your home- but not from rabies.
Bat guano can build up in attics and eaves that have been used by bats, and even if the human occupants of the building are not aware of the dung, they can be harmed by it. After guano has lain around for a couple of years, a fungus can grow in it, releasing spores into the air that cause histoplasmosis in humans. The east and central parts of the U.S. are especially susceptible to the fungus that causes this disease.
Histoplasmosis can cause serious respiratory diseases in humans, causing fever and chest pains. If left untreated, histoplsmosis can turn into a chronic lung disease that resembles tuburculosis. In the very young and the very old, or people who already have cancer, AIDS or other serious illnesses, histoplasmosis can be fatal. Histoplasmosis can also travel from the lungs to the eyes, causing ocular histoplasmosis syndrome, which destroys the central vision (not periphreal). The lung problems can many times be cured with anti-fungal medications, but the ocular disease has no cure.
If bat guano is found in a home or other building, it is important to have it removed as soon as possible by a trained professional. A professional will search for any roosting bats that may be inside, then for any passageways that may be accessible to bats. Any points of entry have to be closed so that the bats do not reappear.
To remove guano, a professional will wear a respirator and dress in protective gear. The guano is usually sprayed with water or a fungicide so that the removal process will not cause the fungus to become airborne. It can then be cleaned up via a specialized vacuum, together with cleaning chemicals, or can be collected manually, or a combination of both.
If bat guano has been found in the house, especially if it has been there for a few years, it is important to watch for any symptoms and to get medical attention if any lung or eye disease symptoms begin. Early treatment is extremely important in the ocular histoplasmosis, as laser treatments can stop the vision loss, though they can not restore any vision that has already been lost.

well damn didn't know that! is histoplasmosis only from bat shit or bird shit too? lots of people have pigeons in their roofs. i expect it would lead to similar health concerns?

nevertheless, i maintain we're a greater danger to the bats than the bats are to us. the scales are always tipped in our favor. the reason so many animals seek refuge in human built structures is because we mow down their habitat in the first place. i'm not sayin don't be careful, but i'm not gonna hate on bat just cos they can spread disease.

neverbreak

clockworx

clockworx

Birds also, and the point is not to hate on bats, just warning to be careful if your a harvester of guano. There are people on this site that collect bat guano from caves and under bridges with no mask who happen to be medical marijuana patients, so the attempt to grow organic bud for a more healthy med can backfire, if your already sick your immune system is under stress trying to rid your body of whatever ails you and that's when your body is vulnerable to attack. Just be mindful is the message.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Like the article says tho, bats are deadly sick and you should be careful handling guano, always wear a mask and wash your hands. You could get a lung infection from that shit and with that deadly fungi killing them rite now who know what else.....
Thanks for the heads up
We still have bats living on our porch at night
They shit all over and make a mess
I sweep it into the flower bed
I'm going to be more careful
And see about getting rid of the bats!
maybe build some bat houses finally

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the heads up

Go batshit and bust out with the bat-condo business, batman! Relocating them will be a boon for everyone, since your farm will benefit from insect eaters roosting there and you'll have a supply of organic guano free for the harvesting.

neverbreak

neverbreak

^ lol

Birds also, and the point is not to hate on bats, just warning to be careful if your a harvester of guano. There are people on this site that collect bat guano from caves and under bridges with no mask who happen to be medical marijuana patients, so the attempt to grow organic bud for a more healthy med can backfire, if your already sick your immune system is under stress trying to rid your body of whatever ails you and that's when your body is vulnerable to attack. Just be mindful is the message.

very good points bro, thanks for puttin it out there. hopefully some of those ya talkin about will hear this message.

Thanks for the heads up

bat houses! awesome idea. ttystikk is on the money.

neverbreak

clockworx

clockworx

Hahaha, try and tell me you didn't look around and then read that in your best Vader voice !!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom