Theory Of Mine

• Thread starter Two.Bears
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I am thinking of getting two bins. A large bin that holds 5-10 gallons, and a smaller 1 gallon bin making 1/8 inch holes 1/4 inch from the bottom all around the small bin.

The larger bin will have two concrete blocks for the bin to sit on.

The smaller bin will hold worms and compost material. Every now and then when i need to do a feeding pour a liter of bottle of water over tge worms and compost material. The watee will pour out the holes washing tge worm castings with the water

Any thoughts?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I am thinking of getting two bins. A large bin that holds 5-10 gallons, and a smaller 1 gallon bin making 1/8 inch holes 1/4 inch from the bottom all around the small bin.

The larger bin will have two concrete blocks for the bin to sit on.

The smaller bin will hold worms and compost material. Every now and then when i need to do a feeding pour a liter of bottle of water over tge worms and compost material. The watee will pour out the holes washing tge worm castings with the water

Any thoughts?
I'll show you mine I use my Guine pig cage straw news paper and poo to feed mine I've got a bucket with holes like you describe with a 70 lt drum under I've made wormtea and castings for years best juice out give me a minute I'll put up some pics , you are on the right track .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
My only tip is to but shade cloth inside the bucket with holes to stop all you bio mass dropping through good luck keep us posted mate

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I'll show you mine I use my Guine pig cage straw news paper and poo to feed mine I've got a bucket with holes like you describe with a 70 lt drum under I've made wormtea and castings for years best juice out give me a minute I'll put up some pics , you are on the right track .
Thanks. I thought the idea was sound

I was going to put crumpled news paper in the bottom inch and worms and biomass on top of the paper

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thanks. I thought the idea was sound

I was going to put crumpled news paper in the bottom inch and worms and biomass on top of the paper
Cool but the thing is you want the water to pass through the bio mass quiet quickly to help draw oxygen through so that's why I use the shade cloth or fly screen material . Here's a pic of the list of goodies that I had tested years back I hope it helps mate props to you going this road I feel in my latest grow using my own compost and teas for food I'm reducing my carbon footprint, my next mission is to use solar & wind to power my small indoor set up

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Cool but the thing is you want the water to pass through the bio mass quiet quickly to help draw oxygen through so that's why I use the shade cloth or fly screen material . Here's a pic of the list of goodies that I had tested years back I hope it helps mate props to you going this road I feel in my latest grow using my own compost and teas for food I'm reducing my carbon footprint, my next mission is to use solar & wind to power my small indoor set up
Of course i want the water to drain quickly or The worms will drown.

I was planning 1/8 inch HOLE spaced about 1/4 inch apart.
I also thought of using a smoldering iron so the holes will be smooth, and less likely to tear the plastic

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Im good at poking my finger, heres something found with my talent...
http://modernfarmer.com/2013/05/how-to-build-a-worm-farm/
I stay right away from using food scraps they tend to attract flys and there maggots ruin your castings if your wormtea smells really bad it is and it's not good for your plants it should have no smell I know I was the first farmer in Australia to supply certified Agrade wormtea and castings I had a lot of hydro growers come to my farm to buy as well as the market stalls and rural supplys stores . .

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I stay right away from using food scraps they tend to attract flys and there maggots ruin your castings if your wormtea smells really bad it is and it's not good for your plants it should have no smell I know I was the first farmer in Australia to supply certified Agrade wormtea and castings I had a lot of hydro growers come to my farm to buy as well as the market stalls and rural supplys stores . .
What did you think of the design, would it be worth building that way? My grandpa used to have a worm farm in his basement and he fed them newspaper, thats about as much as I know about worm farms.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Just go out to a farm and ask for manure and straw i use totes with lids no need to make holes on sides just on top . make a decent medium , and spread couple pounds of worms then lay manure and straw on top of it then damp some news print and cover the top
Use screen material , and place damp news print on top.
that is it people are way over thinking there worm bins
Goal is keep it all moist not to wet and proper temps my worm bins are in basement. i feed them weekly with ground up green waste with also coffee grinds that's it
i started a worm bin last summer and now have 4 bins in 30 gallon totes and about million worms

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
What did you think of the design, would it be worth building that way? My grandpa used to have a worm farm in his basement and he fed them newspaper, thats about as much as I know about worm farms.
Looks ok here in Australia you can buy in recycled food grade plastic that you stack there feed trays on each other I use to have 30 x 7 layer farms I just keep mine simple in the two black bins I showed in the pic but again it's best to only feed them straw , newspapers and cardboard the worms love the glue cardboard is stuck to get her with its full of Boron which is the worms Fav food to find first . Good luck with the building of your farm .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Why worms go nuts over news print is because of the starch in it
It's my way of recycling waste that I would have to pay my council to take it away , no way I'm from Irish decent and way to tight to pay the council fees plus to me it's a prime sorce of ground cover when I start a new garden I lay out all the paper & cardboard on ground and within a week it's got worms munching there way through .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
It's my way of recycling waste that I would have to pay my council to take it away , no way I'm from Irish decent and way to tight to pay the council fees plus to me it's a prime sorce of ground cover when I start a new garden I lay out all the paper & cardboard on ground and within a week it's got worms munching there way through .
This is my little house i own in the burbs of Hobart I am slowly turning it into our food bowl as well as our house and property on Maria island I only grow plants that can be eat or used in medical use I don't waste time or effort on anything else .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
irish huh or Gypsy lol better go check if my holiday trailer is still in my back yard J/k
Hahahah nice one I do feel like a Gypsy sometimes and we have just signed the papers for two 5 five acre blocks side by side down on the South Arm we are going to build and live in one and run olives on the other 5 so I can sell the olive leafe for extract . By then I'll be 60 and 5 years ahead of time to retire fully from all work .

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Hahahah nice one I do feel like a Gypsy sometimes and we have just signed the papers for two 5 five acre blocks side by side down on the South Arm we are going to build and live in one and run olives on the other 5 so I can sell the olive leafe for extract . By then I'll be 60 and 5 years ahead of time to retire fully from all work .
send me olives i like olives specially garlic sauteed with onions and herbs buddy who is Egyptian makes a killer dish

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
send me olives i like olives specially garlic sauteed with onions and herbs buddy who is Egyptian makes a killer dish
I won't grow the fruit ill halve at the leaf way quicker to get a return and all I do I cut the limbs off and the company comes and picks it all up to do there process of leaf extraction I just want a easy crop to handle I'm getting older and sometimes fell 100 ..... Hahaha oh and I'll do garlic as well its a easy crop plant in Anzac Day Galveston Xmas day .

Bannacis

Bannacis

Ant type of foods that you're going to put in your worm bin you will need to let it sit out and dry some before adding.
coffee grounds, egg shells, banana peels (dried some) are good worm food. A mix of greens and browns also, greens as in plant material, brown as in dead leaves. The food you feed them dictates the quality of the castings....

Last edited:
Top Bottom