These Led Lights Just Might Be The Future

• Thread starter salmonslammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VGI

Check all the ones I mentioned, those are good enough to replace HPS...just depends on if you can afford the initial $ to save $ in the future is what it comes down to

V

VGI

Yes if you buy the strongest one possible/enough of the ones that I have listed above. Google GreenGenes Garden and checkit, he has a very professionally done Garden/Spot

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings

Maybe kinda funny tho , but get the right one baby...uh huh...
Super grow LED sk 450 full spectrum
Peace cw

KIMG0025
KIMG0331
Junk

Junk

I have seen 4 LED's aside from my own
Mine is a Mars Hydro 1200
I've seen the one above, Supergrow SK450
I've seen the generic eBay ones that were designed to look like the original Mars Hydro Series
I've seen the Spectrum King 400's (two actually)

The Spectrum King 400 in my opinion is the future. That thing is bad-ass, & will change your mind about LED's. I don't work for them, I don't even own one, but after seeing what they do, it's next on my list of things to get. It will genuinely keep up with a 1000 watt hid. The growth is a little different too. The flowering stretch looked much more controlled, but I don't know if the grower did something to achieve that (he is very paranoid, so he doesn't share much, he has also been growing since 95, he knows a lot!) But he has two of these, & I'm telling you, you have to see it, to believe it. He only runs a single 1000w & it's for a couple mother plants in a separate area, so I didn't get to compare directly. But he had them right next to some 600's (Hortilux Blue's) & the 400's raped the HID's, in every possible respect.

I run an LED, & all I can say is seeing those 400's kick the spit out of those HB600's, is just bizarre. It doesn't look right. It almost looks like a trick. Actual draw I think is closer to 450w, but that's about all the "trickery" involved. The light is also significantly whiter, which I think mimics the sun better.

The Supergrow is also really good. It's in second place because I've not been able to see one next to an appropriate rival. But if one could afford a couple of them, they are really good. No fans on those either as I recall. Light is also whiter. It's a really good light. I just wish I had gotten to see it, next to an HID. My immediate thought when I saw it was, "Two of those would rock the hell out of a 4x4 (or 5x5) tent." Really well made too. Both of the lights I just mentioned were in fairly large rooms, 2 of them in 1200 sq ft, so I can't really comment on how much heat they made.

The Mars Hydro 1200 is decent for the money ($450 or so) It does create a fair amount of heat. Not like HID's do, but because the design does not allow for venting in a closed system (I use co2), or should I say it doesn't have a way to directly duct out the heating like HID hoods, it still creates a fair amount of heat. The only way I could change that is to build a custom duct for it, which wouldn't be that hard, I just don't have the time right now. In the winter, the heat it throws is actually helpful.

If I were to purchase it over again (& didn't know about the other lights) I would definitely get the 1600. The actual draw on the 1200 is 592(iirc, that's what mine is) so you have a 600 watt light. In a 4x4 tent, the plants could really take more than it is giving. I supplement with side lighting, so I'm at an actual draw of around 1100 or so. I've not seen the 1600 in person, but it's the same as mine, just larger. As lights go, mine is fairly heavy, so I would imagine the 1600 is even more so. Nothing "tent crushing," but if you are hanging it by yourself, & trying to avoid touching the surface, it can be tricky. I know you don't need to avoid the surface, I'm just a perfectionist.

The 1200 vs. an HID, the HID creates denser buds. That is strain to strain, the HID's are denser. I have a Sugar Black Rose running at the moment & those buds are going to be dense! So, if the strain is known for dense buds, the 1200 will get it done. Once dried, mine are pretty compact, but not at the level of HID. Oddly, strains that tend to be stringy, fluffy, whatever you want to call it (think Haze) end up coming close to the same. But for the most part, they aren't close in density, it's a noticeable difference. But I grow legit, for my own meds (I don't sell product) so it's not that big a deal.

I don't believe, however, especially after seeing the Spectrum Kings, that this is a byproduct of LED in general, but rather, just the overall intensity of the light. So I would get the 1600 if my price forced me in that direction. I think actual draw is 790. I like that you can easily replace the fans in it. In fact, you could have quite an upgrade if you removed the existing fans & put in some Scythe Typhoons (quieter, & move a TON of air). In the most advanced computer systems I've built, those are the go to fans.

The eBay lights are terrible. The only reason I would use one is if I had it laying around for supplemental lighting. Even then it's not worth the trouble of hanging it. I would use a T5 array instead.

That's what I've seen. To come back around to topic, I think those Spectrum Kings are the future, or at least that is the path...I really do. They get rowdy. Prices are still very high, I think my friend paid close to $2500 for two of them, but in a room like his, 1200 ft2, he starts to make up for initial costs very quickly. I forget how many lights he has, I want to say 30-40? & generally has about 100 plants going at all times. (His room is absolutely beautiful) But selling his current setup & replacing when he can with more LED's...for him, returns come quickly.

For the average "Home Grow Joe," I still think they will do well with a decent LED. The Mars 1600 would kick butt in a 4x4 tent and save you quite a bit of dough when compared to the HID options. But at this point, startup cost will deter most people. Once those start to come down, I think we will see a pretty massive shift.

**Edit** Sorry, the last LED I saw was a Kessil (sp?) I didn't get to see plants grown with it, but it was extremely expensive. It was very well made but you had to buy the lights separately from this "chandelier" looking thing that would move them around. Like I said, very well made, but in my opinion, the simpler the design the better. More moving parts, to me, is a step in the wrong direction. However, the light looked really cool. Also, I think he said the most wattage he could get from it was 300? (Research that if u r interested in the light, I'm going from memory) IF he was correct, the fixture takes up a lot of room but not putting out a lot of watts.

Last edited:
Junk

Junk

Greetings

Maybe kinda funny tho , but get the right one baby...uh huh...
Super grow LED sk 450 full spectrum
Peace cw

That is actually one of the led lights I have seen, it was very good. Like I said, it's the second best one I have personally seen.

DIY, imo, is the wtg ;) But for many people, myself included, I get lost in all the specs, don't know which led has the best overall specs/compromise, what to drive it with etc.

Constructing it is not the problem, it's knowing what to put together that is confusing to the people who would like to go DIY

Bowski

Bowski

I just purchased two Kind K5 750's Its bright, it has IR you can control the sprectrum but, it dose not cover like they claim. 3x4 at best. I will use them for supplemental. then they will be used for vegging.

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings all
Just chiming in on led lighting, the sk 450 is doing nice and creates a nice canabinoid profile in plants... 250 w of usage for a 4x4 area, as junk says is good for a couple or table of clones...overall I think the light is good but find that nutes need higher k than avg... My usually grow I flower with MH lights, though I'm concerned about yield, quality I look for... another thing the strain now growing is Lionheart x mikado ...and this light weighs like an anvil, very heavy...
Peace cw

B

Ben Marc

i saw beautiful light arrangement on a workshop arranged by Aeon Grow.those were blue an yellow ,the blue were of big size .i searched in my near by market those were expensive too.

Desertboy

Desertboy

I'm working for an large LED manufacturer/assembler in Asia at the moment with heavy development in grow lighting and the conclusion we are both reaching is that the current wavelengths offered do not produce reliable results for fruiting crops and until a wider spectrum is available they will not either!

Great for salad crops crap for fruiting crops and no amount of hype is going to change that only a more expanded wavelengths since we have to order a large multi million dollar order for every new wavelength we produce that is not going to change any time soon. Also light needs to be better mixed which is complicated and probably only going to happen with multi chip LED's which are still in their infancy. A lens simply doesn't cut it.

We are not producing for the MJ market only for large scale commercial growers and so unlike the bullshit you read daily on here written by people trying to sell LED's we have to deal with the truth our customers are much more demanding and are making very large scale orders if we lied to them we would be sued and our reputation would be ruined.

And yes we have tried every LED chip available on the market there is no wonder chip no matter what people say.

Me and the engineering team think it will be at least 10 more years before we start to see viable LED grow lamps for fruiting crops and recommend our customers to use HPS for fruiting crops and LED's only for salad crops/green leafs.

2g/w is possible with a standard HPS and no co2 3g/w -4g/w is possible with co2 and environmental control.

Wisher619

Wisher619

?? What does a "more expanded wavelength" mean....Spectrum King already has a full spectrum..measured it is actually 3 points from being full sun....if the rest of these company's would start using the same then they might be putting up better #'s IMO

Desertboy

Desertboy

?? What does a "more expanded wavelength" mean....Spectrum King already has a full spectrum..measured it is actually 3 points from being full sun....if the rest of these company's would start using the same then they might be putting up better #'s IMO

The LED chips aren't producing those wavelengths they are coated to shift the wavelengths that are produced and are not efficient not that they tell you that. A lot of energy is lost in the shifting of wavelengths.

Also stupidly over priced the cost of the 440w is equivalent to 26000 hours at 10 cents per unit or 6 years at 12/12. Commercial (Non MJ growers) are paying more like $40 per MWH. So 15 years payback time. The growers we sell to all generate their own electricity and do not buy from the grid. Our my main markets are in Europe where far more food is grown under lights than the US.

LED's have very long lifespan but power drivers do not it's unlikely they will last 15 years hence the 5 year guarantee. The HPS ballasts we sell come with 25 year guarantees, lamp costs are very low I think we charge around $2.20 a lamp for large scale orders.

Last edited:
Wisher619

Wisher619

what ever they are doing they have a CRI of 95 a LUX from 18" of 120k
since you work for the industry could you steer me in the right direction....are those measurements BS or is your company not in the know??? I am not talking shit...I would like some actual input into what I am seeing on this video...I already have seen what they can do grow wise....just trying to figure out why these aren't for real in so many peoples eyes

Last edited:
chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings
I may have to concur with db on that the LED lighting has a way to go, but for what I've seen with the sk 450, has been OK, but flowers lacked a density not unlike an halide but close...hps lighting produces thicker, tighter flowers, but the canabinoid profile drops... I usually flower with mh warm deluxe sun master with added red/orange spectrum... I DID notice the canabinoid profile was very good with this sk 450 super grow LED... my past photos were lion heart x mikado and had beautiful natural growth, and aromas were good like orange and lime... The sk 450 has a 4200-4400k white light and red , no yellow or orange...I think this light used with the right nute regimen could rock the house but still need tweaking...
Peace cw

Wisher619

Wisher619

I believe that people are confusing 2 differ company's...Spectrum King And SupergrowLed

SpectrumKingLed
http://www.spectrumkingled.com
SupergrowLed

Completely different....

I would like to know what DB thinks of the Real Spectrum King

chillywilly

chillywilly

Yeah, ur right, two different systems... I've had for about six months ...

Wisher619

Wisher619

which one do you have....

The SpectrumKingLed SK400+ is Rediculous .....from what I've seen runs better then HPS

chillywilly

chillywilly

I have supergrowled SK450 the panel... I've seen Spectrum Kings u tube video and yeah it's deff nice... For a comm grow... That thing looks beast but much more electricity use by double or more. The sk450 uses 250 watts but area lighting equivalent of 500 w hps...I've seen some but no lenses like this... these are 3 w dots , 5 rows of red and 10 of full spectrum white... But I think that part of the key with this light is tweaking the nutes for more k than normal ...another is that when I was using the original OTT lites were that full spectrum super brites T10 tubes similar to the light I'm using now...

Junk

Junk

I believe that people are confusing 2 differ company's...Spectrum King And SupergrowLed

SpectrumKingLed
http://www.spectrumkingled.com
SupergrowLed

Completely different....

I would like to know what DB thinks of the Real Spectrum King

I didn't look back to see if I posted in this thread already, but I have seen both. (You are right though, it's very confusing)

They were both very good. Like I said with the supergrow, it's good for about 2 plants. 4 at the most, but that is pushing it imo. The SK400 has a really wide throw.

Here is the thing with the SK400 (I've seen two of them) The place I saw them at, is a grower who has been growing for well over 20 years. He built his house, and made the entire basement 10 ft ceilings (extremely unusual). At the time, he did this because he made his entire basement a grow space, 40'x30' (1200 sq ft). He put all the plants on carts so that he could work on them w/o bending over a lot. He hung the lights in rows over the carts with a really impressive system (at the time) to raise and lower the lights.

So, he has a couple mother plants he wants to keep and he puts them in a separate room, and that is where he put the SK's. So they are hung really high up.

I didn't realize though that they need to be mounted up high like that. I just assumed he mounted them there until he figured something else out. (He had just gotten the lights) So, that is something to factor in.

This guy is a master grower. I mean aside from some stuff I've gotten from Amsterdam, he has the best product I've ever had. The problem is, he is a coke head, so he is extremely paranoid. I could be a master grower much faster if he would just tell me what he does, but he won't. I've seen his space 3 times in my life, 2 of those times, I was not growing. But even now, I send him pics, ask him for opinions etc...he won't even answer me. So until the next time I catch him in the right mood, there isn't much else I could find out for you.

All I know is he likes the lights. And he has unlimited funds to buy anything he wants (between him and his wife they make over $400k a year, not counting whatever he makes from the med sales. He sure as hell isn't smoking all that) Whether the light is as good or better than anything else you can buy, lots of people will debate. All I can say is I've seen them in action, they were pretty amazing, and the guy who bought them was happy with them.

Same with the supergrow, but the SG does not throw a ton of light. It will kill it with two plants though. I've seen it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom