Thinking of using UV light

• Thread starter 2Bad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

2Bad!!,
Molasses, Yes. We did a similar study in a soil microbiology class. It will dramatically increase all soil microbial populations, yes. But after a very short period, as levels of carbohydrate begins to wane, the populations crash and return to normal.

I don't see the value in applying sugar, molasses to potting soil or garden soil. It does nothing beneficial for the plant. But it costs almost nothing. If it makes others feel good go ahead and use it.

Zill.
I’m curious to know what you use to grow your cannabis.
Unicorn blood😂

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ty Zill @Moe.Red what do you think about sugars
I think the plants can't use them, so it is only about microbial life. But personally I would not even use it for that in my grows. Maybe an organic soil grow, dunno. But I would want to be feeding whatever the right microbes first to get a colony established. Feeding microbes directly on purpose - you might also be feeding the bad ones.

I prefer to keep my microbes hungry and the colony in place without the boom and bust cycles massive feedings create.

2Bad

2Bad

I think the plants can't use them, so it is only about microbial life. But personally I would not even use it for that in my grows. Maybe an organic soil grow, dunno. But I would want to be feeding whatever the right microbes first to get a colony established. Feeding microbes directly on purpose - you might also be feeding the bad ones.

I prefer to keep my microbes hungry and the colony in place without the boom and bust cycles massive feedings create.
Yeah i've never fed mine. How do you guys feel about mykos expiration date.. I got a bag of mykoz from amazon and it gives me 6 months to use.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I mean... it is a weed. It will grow without nutrients lmaoo
Even Lord Voldemort had to drink unicorn blood to sustain life so something is definitely making it grow, maybe not unicorn blood but I was just curious to hear what @Zill uses

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I just put up two uvb reptile bulbs. They arent very strong (24w). and I am not sure itll be of any benefit, but I like to experiment. Since they are weak, theyll be low, and im going to move them around the tent weekly for next five to six weeks. And vary light schedule as well. No more then 2/3 hrs at a time.
I also use a very little 1/2cupish molasses when brewing my teas. The girls seem to like it. I doubt I answered any questions, but theres my 2 cents✌🏻

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I just put up two uvb reptile bulbs. They arent very strong (24w). and I am not sure itll be of any benefit, but I like to experiment. Since they are weak, theyll be low, and im going to move them around the tent weekly for next five to six weeks. And vary light schedule as well. No more then 2/3 hrs at a time.
I also use a very little 1/2cupish molasses when brewing my teas. The girls seem to like it. I doubt I answered any questions, but theres my 2 cents✌🏻
I also use bs molasses when brewing teas, now I’m curious about that 🧐 I’m gonna go search my garage for old reptile lamps 😂

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

These are from my first indoor grow. Sometime feb. 22. In the second pic you can see the two reptile lights in the middle. Man I had screwed those plants up!

FFF3A63C 455D 427F 850F 8013522EE690
CCC01D13 8027 4CD0 B68C 4F6B51FBFCF0
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

These are from my first indoor grow. Sometime feb. 22. In the second pic you can see the two reptile lights in the middle. Man I had screwed those plants up!
Nice,
I killed my first 12 plants😂 man, how far I’ve come since then. I think I’m at student level now🥹

Z

Zill

JerseyMike,
Copied from John's article abstract these are the parameters he used for UV-B irradiation of cannabis:

"Terminal meristems of vegetative and reproductive tissues were irradiated for 40 days at a daily dose of 0, 6.7 or 13.4 kJ m-2 biologically effective UV-B radiation."

Results indicated a dose 6.7 or 13.5kJ resulted the same increase in THC.

Zill.

2Bad

2Bad

JerseyMike,
Copied from John's article abstract these are the parameters he used for UV-B irradiation of cannabis:

"Terminal meristems of vegetative and reproductive tissues were irradiated for 40 days at a daily dose of 0, 6.7 or 13.4 kJ m-2 biologically effective UV-B radiation."

Results indicated a dose 6.7 or 13.5kJ resulted the same increase in THC.

Zill.
Idk what that means Zill ill be honest

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Same. Zill can you break that down for me? I like that these are weak, makes me feel lime i wont f’em up too bad if i leave on or something. And as far as moving around, that is more for coverage in my head atleast🤣🤣🤣

Z

Zill

Absolutely,
I'll private email you two. There was no leaf or cell damage evident at these levels. The plants were very healthy with incredibly deep green leaves. I'm sure there were a number of preliminary experiments done to identify these two exposures for use in his research.

Zill.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The most recent thing I read (or saw in a youtube video, more likely) is that you want the obscenely powerful fluoro tubes for UVB, but pulse them on/off for "short" intervals. By short, I got the impression they were talking about 5-10 minute periods, but it wasn't explicitly defined.

The powerful fluoros will burn the living fuck out of a plant, if left on for, oh, say about 4 hours. So don't "pulse" them that long. I think I'll try this method next.

Z

Zill

2bad and JMike,
I think one of you mentioned you are using UV now. If you can send me the bulb rating,

Mystic,
Just saw your note. No. The plants were not dosed like that at all. Bear in mind the dose used in that research is typical of the UV radiation found in its naturel clime. I'll send you the same info I'm sending to 2Bad and Jmike.

Zill.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

@Zill serious question, do you even grow cannabis or are you just a bored Botanist trolling forums playing cannabis guru? 😂

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The most recent thing I read (or saw in a youtube video, more likely) is that you want the obscenely powerful fluoro tubes for UVB, but pulse them on/off for "short" intervals. By short, I got the impression they were talking about 5-10 minute periods, but it wasn't explicitly defined.

The powerful fluoros will burn the living fuck out of a plant, if left on for, oh, say about 4 hours. So don't "pulse" them that long. I think I'll try this method next.
I've seen this mentioned too, not tried it. I can kinda see it tho. You need X amount of UVR8 stimulation in a given day to create the response, but if you give it all at once, plants respond negatively and tissue burns.

I have burned the fuck out of my plants with 2X 40W floros in a 4x4 area. I'm sure I gave them skin cancer.

The other thing that I learned from Dennis - founder of Solacure - UVB is not a thing. It is a spectrum. There is no such thing as a UVB light that produces only UVB at a specific wavelength. You get some above, and some below, including UVA. So the UVB bulbs all produce UVA too, but YMMV based on manufacturer, phospors and pigments used, etc. Any directions that say "Turn on UVB for X amount of time at X distance" should be taken with skepticism and perhaps used as a starting point, but the grower will have to adjust based on how the plants respond. These instructions may be wildly off for your genetics / growspace.

When it comes down to it, seems to me this is only for advanced growers that have everything else dialed in perfectly and plenty of experience to fall back on. New growers will probably only get frustrated, and there is no step by step manual on how to use this stuff.

From what I have read, studies have shown a max increase of 4% THC boost. Others show none or negative. It's a lot of work and risk for 4% IMO, and should be attempted after all the other normal grow improvements like CO2 are in place. I'd much rather have 20% more weed guaranteed than a chance at a THC boost.

Top Bottom