Third Grow. First Journal. Reserva Privada Sour OG Kush Feminized.

• Thread starter ClassV
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ClassV

ClassV

Well, starting week 10, and I ran into the same weird yellowing thing, starting in week 6. Being able to add more calmag on this run seems to have helped a little bit, but I still saw the same thing. Starts out looking like an S deficiency, then eventually Mg locks out as well. The problem seems much more pronounced with the taller, SD looking pheno. I suspect at this point that the abundant K released by coco might be the culprit, given that they feed so lightly anyway.

The buds look pretty good, but on this run I was determined to keep the leaves green going into week 9, come hell or high water, and it was an epic fail. At this point the problem fascinates me more than it frustrates me. I know I’ll get sticky, potent buds, but I also know I am not getting the best from these genetics. I have seen a UK thread where guys are just killing it with this strain, and I don’t see reports of those guys seeing this phenomena. I also wonder about my well water, but coming in at 0.05 EC, how bad can it be?

The good news is that training them for 8 tops worked out nicely. I’m getting the hang of training the plants. Now if I could just figure out what the deal is in the medium… I still have much to learn! o_O

RG420

RG420

Dam bro! I wish I could help you out more on this, but I know sweet FA about the nutes ya use and also growing in coco. Now if it was in compost and organic then you'd be winning I think! ;)
Have you tried upping the PK as in it may just be a case of she's sensitive through veg then turns into a feeding frenzy monsta canna plant in flower lol. When mine showed similar probs I dosed with calmag from week 4 - 6 and just upped my bloom feed and it sorted the problem, but again I'm in dirt so a diff ball game.... Keep trucking on bro this is what it's all about and makes us better growerS! You will get her dialed in I know it! :D

ClassV

ClassV

Have you tried upping the PK as in it may just be a case of she's sensitive through veg then turns into a feeding frenzy monsta canna plant in flower lol.

Hi RG! I actually tried that, even though it seemed odd that it would get much hungrier in Week 6 than it was during stretch. It seems to be an uptake problem. I think there are enough nutes available to the roots, and my PH is good when it starts, and for all the world it looks like an S deficiency when the festivities begin. I didn't have this problem with NL or AK48. But I am pretty sure these light feeding girls have exposed a gap in my developing game. Lot's of folks do great in coco with GH nutes, so I am confident that I am missing something. I like the strain, so playing with it some more to figure out what's up is fine by me. I have a feeling that if I can just get a handle on what's happening here, I'll have made real strides as a grower.

Just out of curiosity... do you use RO water?

Orcaman

Orcaman

Well, starting week 10, and I ran into the same weird yellowing thing, starting in week 6. Being able to add more calmag on this run seems to have helped a little bit, but I still saw the same thing. Starts out looking like an S deficiency, then eventually Mg locks out as well. The problem seems much more pronounced with the taller, SD looking pheno. I suspect at this point that the abundant K released by coco might be the culprit, given that they feed so lightly anyway.

The buds look pretty good, but on this run I was determined to keep the leaves green going into week 9, come hell or high water, and it was an epic fail. At this point the problem fascinates me more than it frustrates me. I know I’ll get sticky, potent buds, but I also know I am not getting the best from these genetics. I have seen a UK thread where guys are just killing it with this strain, and I don’t see reports of those guys seeing this phenomena. I also wonder about my well water, but coming in at 0.05 EC, how bad can it be?

The good news is that training them for 8 tops worked out nicely. I’m getting the hang of training the plants. Now if I could just figure out what the deal is in the medium… I still have much to learn! o_O
Hey ClassV, Once again looking awesome and great detail in your grow. After reviewing this post I think I can help with your feeding issues with the GH three part and your Coco. I think you need to add Humic Acids to help balance your nutes. I'm using the whole General Organics line and have learned a lot about plant intake with the breakdown of feeding. Here is information on Diamond Black liquid Humic Acids.
Diamond Black® is derived from 100% pure Leonardite, a naturally occurring form of carbon drawn from prehistoric peat bogs. Diamond Black contains an exceptionally high percentage of plant-active humates. These organic compounds improve nutrient absorption, stimulate microbial activity, promote soil structure, increase nutrient retention and reduce water usage in the landscape. Use with all kinds of plants during all phases of growth. Additionally, Diamond Black can also be utilized as an additive for making compost. Use Diamond Black with any garden soil, potting mix, or other soil-based medium.

ClassV

ClassV

Good thought, Orca! Your input is always appreciated! The Black Diamond looks interesting. I like the CaMg+ from that line. I'll give Black Diamond a try on the next run! The plants definitely show the symptoms of a PH issue given the S Def symptoms. And GH flora series comes without chelates.

I'm also wondering about that .05 EC/25ppm well water, and what that ppm is composed of. Time to trace out that system. It's an old house... There might be some kind of softener inline. Hard to believe the previous owners put in a softener given the water quality in this area, but you never know. 25 ppm is damn near RO... But if that 25ppm is NaCl.... :eek:

ClassV

ClassV

A couple of pics from the second run. Day 68. They are on straight water now. Plenty of room for improvement on my part. More aroma this time, but the foliage is rough and the buds could be better. Based on the first run, I expect to pull some potent meds, so I'm good to go. The taller pheno is finishing better this time. Real happy with the way these girls respond to training. If I can solve the week 6 riddle I'll be cooking with bacon fat.

A

A-Roe

A couple of pics from the second run. Day 68. They are on straight water now. Plenty of room for improvement on my part. More aroma this time, but the foliage is rough and the buds could be better. Based on the first run, I expect to pull some potent meds, so I'm good to go. The taller pheno is finishing better this time. Real happy with the way these girls respond to training. If I can solve the week 6 riddle I'll be cooking with bacon fat.

View attachment 504290
View attachment 504297
View attachment 504299
okay bro see you are having problems so here we, go coco is a medium that you always feed in no watering without nutrients and not going over 1000 ppm and thats late in flowering along with youre bloom boosters. Seems like you trying to do too much as far as nutes go trust me bro spend al little bit more money and buy the GH Flora Nova series it'll save you the headache of trying to get the right mix. All I use is Flora Nova Bloom, Florlisous Plus (however its spelled), CalMag( up to the end of week 3) for you it'll probable be better for you to use it after that but at 1/4 of strength, and BudCandy ( if you aint got this you aint got shit fuck all other flavor enhancers) for smell and taste. You can pm me and I can tell you what bloom booster I use and what strengths at each week. Oh and by the way the longer you use cal mag the more your buds will stretch and foxtail.

ClassV

ClassV

It’s time to grow again, and I thought I would update this thread from last season with a conclusion.

I definitely had some frustrating problems with these grows. But I want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with this strain or with the GH nutes. After doing some reading this summer, I’m pretty sure the problems ordinated from the root zone, and showed itself at around week 6. The final yield was not too terrible, though the second batch hermied a bit. Some of the buds were very potent, but most were nothing to brag about, and none of them burned well or had much aroma. There is no way I got out of this strain what it can really do. Adjusting nutes, including Ca and MG supplementation made no difference.

I thought about root rot at the time, but I never did detect a rotten egg smell. Another consideration is my well water, which comes in very soft a > .05 EC. I’m not sure what is in that .05 EC, but there can’t be much of it. The last possible culprit was bugs.

So…

I simplified my nute system to GH cocotek A and B. I’m not chasing mysterious deficiencies with nutes this time.

I’ve taken steps to monitor and maintain my root zone temps and avoid “wet feet” in my watering cycle.

I have begun to monitor PH in the runoff to look for unexplained swings. I know runoff PH in Coco can be misleading. I’m just watching for patterns.

Last but not least, I added sticky traps… and low and behold… Fungus Gnats. My little tent is a windy place, so I don’t really notice the fliers, but it turns out they are there. So I am taking steps to deal with that little community, and any other critters that make it in from outside.

I have a journal going right now for a couple of DNA Lemon OG Kush. Nothing fancy, and I am unconcerned with yield. I’m just looking to dial in a good grow with a decent product at the end. These girls are starting week 2 of the flower cycle today. Many thanks and much respect to the skilled Farmers who offered assistance during these two SK grows. You know who you are.

For those interested, I have a grow journal going here:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/cocotek-a-b-nutrients-lemon-og-kush.76215/

Top Bottom