this ak-47 is unstable!

• Thread starter peter tosh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

peter tosh

i bought some serious seeds ak-47 and its goin crazy showing sex while still in veg (under a mh running 18/6). i only had three plants i grew from seed and the first incident was about a month into growth when one showed it was male with the balls and all so i chopped it down. now today, a few weeks later, i found another one is showing female and actually starting to flower! anyway, i chopped it too because im looking for a stable mother plant. whats up with this? i have 24 plants in veg, like 8 strains, and the only one doing this is the ak. im down to one now and if it does the same crap i am never buying serious seeds again. everybody says this ak is easy to grow too!:wazzup:

marski420

marski420

Sounds like an auto flower issue bro.. How long have they been in veg?

S

Seaweed

Peter - your post caught my eye. I, too, had ordered directly from Serious the AK-47 - some White Russian too. I took just 4 to grow out, saved the rest. The females from these were incredible plants. I kept these as mothers, and after several years the AK just decided to start flowering. I was really disappointed, ;(because I've heard of people keeping mothers going indefinitely by just recloning them.

When I gave her up, I started some new seeds from the original order - sprouted right up, got the female, and started cloning. This one wasn't half the plant the other one was - different shape, flowers not as dense. And, worst of all, it behaved like a hermaphrodite. About 4 weeks in I'd see tiny little bananas sticking out of some ovules - not even a true male flower - along with a tiny white "pretend" seed! :sign0065: I thought it was me, my nutrients, some unknown stress.

I went crazy trying to figure it out. After a whole bunch of doing and reading and pulling my hair out, I emailed Simon at Serious. I described the problems, and asked if the age of the seeds could cause this (I'd kept some from the original order several years, in the fridge). He responded and said what I had was definitely a "form of maleness", but that he believed his seeds wouldn't do this. :evilgrin0040:He also said the age of seeds wouldn't cause this.

I had the same experience with the White Russian later on. Some fantastic plants, some terrible.

I'm glad you wrote - your experience lends weight to what I was thinking - it isn't stable enough. I think F1 hybrids are what are usually sold - and they're good strong plants, and some variation is supposed to be expected. But IMHO, I think the amount is too great on these varieties, and needs to be dialed back somehow - especially if money is tight and we don't want to sprout up our entire order all at once, then grow it all out, flower it, keep clones of each before they flower, and go back and keep those that were best after the results are in!!! Lotsa work - maybe my expectations are out of whack, but when seeds cost so much, I would think one wouldn't have to go through quite so much.

If you have some other seeds from your order, I'd say get'em goin'. You'll probably find a star in there.

P

peter tosh

marski - the plants are about 2 1/2 months old now from seed

seaweed-thanks for sharing your experience. good to know i am not alone. i knew it wasnt my fault! i think some of these genetics are just unstable. i have also been having issues with this cash crop ken nuken (kish x godbud). the leaves are coming out all curly and retarded, i think i need to flush it good then try less nutes. as for the ak, i am just gonna see what happens, but all 3 i grew have been weak growers which supposively is not very ak-like. its supposed to be the shit i thought, thats why everybody does ak crosses! whatever, im just waiting for these cuttings in my ez clone 60 to take off and then everthing in veg is on to flower. i still have 5 seeds left of the ak, so if this last plant goes crazy or turns out to be a male, i will start over with those. its been a pain in the ass trying to find a mother from these 4 new strains i have going. its gonna be such a relief to finally finish everything out and see what ive got. i wish so bad i was in cali or somewhere so i could just get clones of badass genetics and not have to go through all this seed crap. btw i will say of the four strains, subcool's jillybean has been the best grower by far. 5 of 5 seeds made it and they all have looked happy and healthy the whole time. i might have to try vortex next, yo big ups to sub! lastly a side note, i am now in week 7 of flower with this feminized seed i grew (strain is magus - motavation)and i just noticed its now hermied out with seeds on most the buds! i hate that, i didnt even catch those sneaky seeds until now! the other plants in my room are perfectly healthy, in fact this is my best lookin grow yet. so i know it's that strain and not the environment. oh well, at least i have a fantastic harvest comin up soon! i just am gonna have to be patient with everything else.

P

peter tosh

update - the last one messed up too. a few days into flower it started showing male sex on some branches and female on the others! Serious Seeds seriously suck! talk about a disappointment. i dont think im even gonna mess with those leftover seeds i have, im sick of wasting my nutes and time!

FLB

FLB

Feel your pain. Bought some serious white russian and two out of the three nannnered. pathetic and smoke mediocre at best.

P

peter tosh

word. thanks flb. i was thinkin i want to try that white russian, but not after all this crap!

Z

Zissou Intern

AK now is not what it used to be when the name became famous.

move on, as

garth - "live in the nowwwww!"

cause finding stuff from then that lives up to the name is very few and far between.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Your best bet is finding an old Ak-47 cut. There was a lot of good ones to be found. I know i used to have one. I also made some hybrids and a bx from the cherry pheno. Shes potent as hell. Typical AK-47. Never had any issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom