This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Evening farmers. Thought I'd give you all a glimpse Into dirtbags garden!
This is a licensed medical grow, 9 plants in flower. 4 platinum cookies and 5 Pre-98 Bubba.

Right now they're under 2x 1000w eye hortilux lamps semi (but not quite) stadium style, temps 22-26c, 40-50% humidity. 8x8' canopy.

Growing in 7 gallon pots of proterra peat/perlite mix amended with half a cup of gaia green 4-4-4 and a cup of worm castings each. Feeding is floranova grow/bloom and massive bloom for a total of 1.6ec, 6.2-6.3ph, on a feed-feed-water cycle.. But I'm going to run the grow formula and massive for the rest of the run and cut out floranova bloom. Just to see what happens.

I'll update as things progress.. just rounded the corner on week 3. And they're starting to pick up a little frost already which is nice to see. The burnt pistil tips are from my sulphur burner... I send them off into week 3 with a good burn.

This be how dirbag do
This be how dirbag do 2
This be how dirbag do 3
This be how dirbag do 4
This be how dirbag do 5
This be how dirbag do 6

Nugg

Nugg

A licensed medical grow....hmm..here anyone with 100$ could get a license to grow medical mj..all it did was make doctors alot of money...now we are recreation legalized...no more license for me.lol...do you have to crawl to the back plants to maintain?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
A licensed medical grow....hmm..here anyone with 100$ could get a license to grow medical mj..all it did was make doctors alot of money...now we are recreation legalized...no more license for me.lol...do you have to crawl to the back plants to maintain?

Lol... it went the other way around in Canada. I've never given a F**k about having a license until Canada legalized. Our sentences for breaking the cannabis act laws are very serious now. And I'm not handicapping myself to a 4 plant limit when a doc apt is a Skype call away lol.

For maintenance... yeah, I crawl between the rows. For pruning i can push the middle row to one side so i can stand up if need be. But honestly once my flower prune is done the only thing that goes in there is the watering wand.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Did you just use rough drywall for the room or paint it with kilz?

I just went with OSB and Killz paint. I originally planned on lining the walls with fiberglass reinforced paneling, I still do at some point. I just started running low on money for the build by the time I got to wall sheeting lol.
And I used OSB instead of drywall so I can run reinforced wires, hang stuff from it a bit easier and staple netting to the walls. Even though I ended up just using stakes and not bothering with netting. That shit drives me crazy lol.

Last edited:
Freshone

Freshone

Stick with OSB and kilz flat white and you will be happier than the FRP,Ive done it both ways.You may also benefit from some adjustawing reflectors over those parabolics,been there also.
Nice job!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Stick with OSB and kilz flat white and you will be happier than the FRP,Ive done it both ways.You may also benefit from some adjustawing reflectors over those parabolics,been there also.
Nice job!

Yeah the FRP was just so I could actually sterilize the room. Hasn't been necessary with the sulphur burner in there.

And yeah, I've had a love hate relationship with horizontal lamps over the years... I just prefer vertical, and I've come to accept that. Horizontally mounted lamps just have too much of a hotspot below the bulb, and with the 1000's vertically I get very even light distribution and it's all reflected light. So almost zero chance of radiant hotspots in the garden.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This thing is rolling out of week 3 with some toit nugs! And they're just absolutely covered in trichomes already. The sugar leaf is just caked. Very unusual for this strain, the massive seems to be really causing incredible growth. So far, Me likely.

20190227 162207

Gweedo

Gweedo

What kind of reflector is that sir ive got a 400w mh magnetic ballast i built that runs a vertical style bulb been wanting to try an auto or 2 and that seems like it would be perfect

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
56 is the cheapest i can find gonna have to order one i know that thing has to be better than the batwing my ballast came with
Everyone seems to like batwings, I just prefer reflected light as I get both even light distribution and more importantly for me, is I dont get any hotspots.

I do plan on upgrading to Gavitas at some point because my ceilings are so high. Then I'll go horizontal. But close to the plants I prefer vertical.

The interesting thing is, I've been running these on 750watts lately and getting just as good growth. In an 8x8 that's only 23w per square foot. Which sort of goes against conventional thinking, but there it is..

Gweedo

Gweedo

Thats basically why i built my cob light with 8 instead of 4 bigger cobs the 8 points just seems more logical if its within your means. Working light in at every angle possible makes sense to me.And i ran about 30w per sqft with it and i think it did great, but the scale will be the true test. How much distance do you normally run those at from the canopy?

Top Bottom