This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man you are stacking some serious flowers in there. Fantastic work! And looking improved over the other methods huh?

Thanks man! I never got deep enough into rockwool to say if coco is better than that or not, but compared to any other soiless media I've used, yeah 1 gallon fabric pots of coco is pretty extraordinary to grow in. Blows anything else I've half ass succeeded at out of the water.

I've gotta give credit to my buddy, this room looks a lot like his do. Both him and another pro grower I know swear by the technique of pruning off all the growing nodes except the very tip, once a week all throughout veg to promote strong branches and a tidy plant during the stretch. And I cant speak for both of them about this, but the one guy who's been helping me out insists that hitting them with that bit of extra P and K one week before flip is key to inducing the heavy bud stacking and strong healthy branches that develop during the stretch. That's when P is actually needed the most. Adding it after the stretch is pointless if not detrimental. His words, not mine. But at this point I'd almost believe him if he told me he was the real Santa Claus.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You can't ask for a nicer looking canopy bro... Fucking amazing and they are seriously scary stacking for 17 days. Shit is getting real and fast in here.

Thanks dude. The stacking is really what's blowing my mind. But its amazing the canopy worked out like this considering that there is 5 different strains in here.

Im telling ya, try it and see for yourself with the added PK. Start a week before flower, you'll see preflowers just explode everywhere and after you do, that's when you flip. Theyll stretch like crazy and stack buds the whole way up.. Some even say after the pk preload, you should even give them a 24-36hr dark period before going 12/12. I'll try that one on my next cycle. ;)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The stacking is really what's blowing my mind.

Im telling ya, try it and see for yourself with the added PK. Start a week before flower, you'll see preflowers just explode everywhere and after you do, that's when you flip. Theyll stretch like crazy and stack buds the whole way up.. Some even say after the pk preload, you should even give them a 24-36hr dark period before going 12/12. I'll try that one on my next cycle. ;)
Yeah 24 will imo speed the shift to flower and bud onset. Especially I feel in higher light grows.

The pk I am convinced been hearing this a few places.

Now my only concern is the pruning being in soil the recovery will likely be longer bit I'm not sure if that will pose an issue. But I'm game to give it a go. This whole grow is one big experiment for me and as you ALL manage to point out I belong in hydro lol. Bit I'm going to try to get a mom or 2 out of this and that just to much of a pita to run regs in hydro... Need clones and would like a few strains to run now that I have more space.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah 24 will imo speed the shift to flower and bud onset. Especially I feel in higher light grows.

Now my only concern is the pruning being in soil the recovery will likely be longer bit I'm not sure if that will pose an issue. But I'm game to give it a go. This whole grow is one big experiment for me and as you ALL manage to point out I belong in hydro lol. Bit I'm going to try to get a mom or 2 out of this and that just to much of a pita to run regs in hydro... Need clones and would like a few strains to run now that I have more space.
I think you'll be fine with the pruning bro. The whole point to that technique is it's very low stress, you nip the little suckers as they emerge. It's not like topping at all and doesnt slow them down whatsoever. It actually promotes axial tip growth. Partly why they get big so fast I think.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter

there has to be some science to it... advanced nutes loads up thier bud ignitor with it along with a few other lines with similar shit and says to run it the first 2 weeks for faster and increased number of buds... It would stand to reason making it available before flip would be even more beneficial as long as it doesnt burn the plants... and in this case it clearly didnt

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also worth pointing out another recommendation he had which I implemented, but havent mentioned is I'm maintaining a 6" open perimeter around the room between the plants and the walls to improve airflow. Seem to be really helping, all the leaves have obvious air movement right down to the bottom of the plant.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also worth pointing out another recommendation he had which I implemented, but havent mentioned is I'm maintaining a 6" open perimeter around room between the plants and the walls to improve airflow. Seem to be really helping, all the leaves have obvious air movement right down to the bottom of the plant.
I 100% agree and personally I feel airflow to the underside of the plant is sooo much more important than at or above canopy level.

That makes perfect sense about doing it weekly. I'm game for this.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Also worth pointing out another recommendation he had which I implemented, but havent mentioned is I'm maintaining a 6" open perimeter around the room between the plants and the walls to improve airflow. Seem to be really helping, all the leaves have obvious air movement right down to the bottom of the plant.

I have been convinced that space between plants and the wall have much to do with my plants budding up top to bottom. Which i need keeping plants to 30” over the pots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have been convinced that space between plants and the wall have much to do with my plants budding up top to bottom. Which i need keeping plants to 30” over the pots.

Probably as much for reflected light as it is for airflow

I've always "tried" to get adequate airflow through the canopy, and I have a long length of 4" perforated ducting on the floor being fed by an inline fan too that delivers air below the canopy. But I've certainly noticed a bit better overall airflow since I've pulled them away from the wall the last couple grows. Last cycle it was because my plants were small though lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Probably as much for reflected light as it is for airflow

I've always "tried" to get adequate airflow through the canopy, and I have a long length of 4" perforated ducting on the floor being fed by an inline fan too that delivers air below the canopy. But I've certainly noticed a bit better overall airflow since I've pulled them away from the wall the last couple grows. Last cycle it was because my plants were small though lol.

Im bringing in air from the lungroom with 2 6” inline fans spaced like the lampsnext door blowing into semi rigid flexible duct through the wall bent down to let the conditioned air spread out under the plants evenly across the space and taken up through the canopy to a carbon filter in between and above the lights. 4 circulation fans at the corners pointed up some help create the upflow.

I basically copied a 4x8 tent but in the open room.

The light doesnt need much help with 2 600’s in deep focused air cooled lamps and only 30” of plant height.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Im bringing in air from the lungroom with 2 6” inline fans spaced like the lampsnext door blowing into semi rigid flexible duct through the wall bent down to let the conditioned air spread out under the plants evenly across the space and taken up through the canopy to a carbon filter in between and above the lights. 4 circulation fans at the corners pointed up some help create the upflow.

I basically copied a 4x8 tent but in the open room.

The light doesnt need much help with 2 600’s in deep focused air cooled lamps and only 30” of plant height.

Perfectly highlights how different rooms, all of them, need to be setup differently for their own conditions. I dont have the benefit of a lung room. Wish I did but It played a big part in figuring out how to ventilate this shed. It sucks in whatever is outside, which usually isnt an issue in BC but it can present condensation issues if the ducting is run indoors etc. And obviously i didnt want to be delivering near freezing air below the plants either lol. So it gets blown just below the lights comin in. The recirculated air I deliver to the floor comes from my header house through a carbon filter. It's also how I recirculate air between the two rooms.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I'm gonna quit lookin' at y'alls threads before I convert my garage into a massive forest. You're doing work here man! One of these nights I'll have to start at page one and read through everything, there's some gold buried in here.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm gonna quit lookin' at y'alls threads before I convert my garage into a massive forest. You're doing work here man! One of these nights I'll have to start at page one and read through everything, there's some gold buried in here.

There is a few lessons I learned in these pages for sure. Almost wish I hadnt made a seperate hydroponics thread so this one would be consistent and include my last grow. But it's fun to look back on and see how much I've changed from my usual promix game that I ran for almost 20 years... Learned a lesson about sulphur burners as well lol.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
There is a few lessons I learned in these pages for sure. Almost wish I hadnt made a seperate hydroponics thread so this one would be consistent and include my last grow. But it's fun to look back on and see how much I've changed from my usual promix game that I ran for almost 20 years... Learned a lesson about sulphur burners as well lol.

Funny you mention promix. I picked up a bag of sunshine mix #4 today (total impulse), and am now going down this rabbit hole of seeing if I can just amend with bone meal + blood meal. My want for plants got ahead of my available resources for taking care of said plants and now I'm panicking haha. Not to threadjack; you came up in a few of my searches here on the farm for promix.

newh

newh

Thanks dude. The stacking is really what's blowing my mind. But its amazing the canopy worked out like this considering that there is 5 different strains in here.

I follow the Canna coco nutrient schedule,it says week 4 or 5 for the pk boost but I think your on to something here with the earlier boost.Im ready to flip soon Im gonna try the early boost and see what happens.You flower development is amazing for 17 days in,nice job

Valleyterps

Valleyterps

Sorry
Eaves,,,,trough

I have my pots in pans, catches the water sure enough, then just sits in it's own funk
Wanna set up a collector like yours.

I am to lazzy to shop vac my spill pans,, I could (probly) empty a bucket once and a while.

Idk if you ever figured anything out but if you’re still using saucers I came across this today

And you won’t have to shop vac anything. There’s also “Farmer Square Risers” that are a saucer with built in risers so your plants don’t sit in their run off

They’re pretty expensive from their site though, if u can get a local hydro store to carry them I think I paid 2.50 or 3$ a piece

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

No need to have any concern with pruning and in soil, I do my heavy pruning day 9 - 12 after flip depending on strain , and I prune hard , never have issues with recovery or anything, as long as your doing your part right and consistently and the plant is happy it won't miss a beat.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Idk if you ever figured anything out but if you’re still using saucers I came across this today

And you won’t have to shop vac anything. There’s also “Farmer Square Risers” that are a saucer with built in risers so your plants don’t sit in their run off

They’re pretty expensive from their site though, if u can get a local hydro store to carry them I think I paid 2.50 or 3$ a piece
I don't like the looks of those square lifters, too much space on the sides if its not centered right I can see tipping over. I like the idea of better drainage and air under the pots like that but round pots on that sq. looks iffy to me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No need to have any concern with pruning and in soil, I do my heavy pruning day 9 - 12 after flip depending on strain , and I prune hard , never have issues with recovery or anything, as long as your doing your part right and consistently and the plant is happy it won't miss a beat.
Thanks for the reassurance bro. In my hydro they may droop for an hour if that on a decent prune. Wasn't sure about soil.

I'm going with @dirbags new method on this one. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Top Bottom