This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Pretty much just like a tomato plant ,,ifya dont have a full field of em
Yeah man, I prune each branch pretty much how you would prune a hothouse tomato plant, for basically the same reason. To encourage a very strong fast growing branch instead of several smaller ones.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah man, I prune each branch pretty much how you would prune a hothouse tomato plant, for basically the same reason. To encourage a very strong fast growing branch instead of several smaller ones.
But won't those smaller branches eventually reach the canopy to produce buds if given enough light?
I see how clipping off the shoots encourages the main stalks to grow but is all you want out of the plant tops? No side branches or lower buds? Do the pro warehouse growers use that technique to get the most out of their plants?

😀 I'm just a small basement grower & you guys are the only growers I know ( other than a couple friends that hack along ) I watch and read but the chopping off large leaves while its small just seems so contrary to every thing I've done, I just couldn't bring myself to do that to the poor little things.😀

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But won't those smaller branches eventually reach the canopy to produce buds if given enough light?
I see how clipping off the shoots encourages the main stalks to grow but is all you want out of the plant tops? No side branches or lower buds? Do the pro warehouse growers use that technique to get the most out of their plants?

😀 I'm just a small basement grower & you guys are the only growers I know ( other than a couple friends that hack along ) I watch and read but the chopping off large leaves while its small just seems so contrary to every thing I've done, I just couldn't bring myself to do that to the poor little things.😀

Normally cutting suckers will make bigger top buds but not increase yield like with tomatoes. I usually encourage every side branch like you say to maximize yield of each plant. But i dont get much larf in my system. Smaller but good lower buds mostly keeping the plants spaced out and only 30” above the pots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Not just tops. Tops and mids though yeah, you end up with about an 18-24" deep canopy full of buds and like I said, I'm told their yields went up when they started pruning this aggressively, and I have no reason to doubt them. They have no reason to BS me on this, they make decisions based on the bottom line not confirmation bias.
Also it's not chopping off large leaves from small plants lol, its removing very small new shoots, and leaving the leaves Intact. But their rooms like my room are a lot more packed than something like MiMed's perpetual or your grow. Having all my plants in the same stage of growth presents different challenges.

Anyway, personally I dont really care if anyone wants to try it or not, and if some of you think its retarded that's cool too lol, it doesnt really matter to me. But I dont want to debate whether this way is better or letting every branch go natural is the right way. I dont care how anyone else want to do it. This is just how I'm doin it.

I find it a very interesting and valid technique, and I'm liking it a lot.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Not just tops. Tops and mids though yeah, you end up with about an 18-24" deep canopy full of buds and like I said, I'm told their yields went up when they started pruning this aggressively, and I have no reason to doubt them. They have no reason to BS me on this, they make decisions based on the bottom line not confirmation bias.
Also it's not chopping off large leaves from small plants lol, its removing very small new shoots, and leaving the leaves Intact. But their rooms like my room are a lot more packed than something like MiMed's perpetual or your grow. Having all my plants in the same stage of growth presents different challenges.

Anyway, personally I dont really care if anyone wants to try it or not, and if some of you think its retarded that's cool too lol, it doesnt really matter to me. But I dont want to debate whether this way is better or letting every branch go natural is the right way. I dont care how anyone else want to do it. This is just how I'm doin it.

Thats all i was trying to say. With a looser grow or with plants at different stages is quite different than a packed room of uniform plants. The techniques are all tools to be used when proper. I am as interested as you and am learning how to grow a good full room here.

I have a 4x8 shorty tent not ever set up yet and when i get some more lighting i plan to do a full grow in it. Curious if i can monocrop a good BLT plant to 3 lbs of quality with 2 600’s.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I think my wife took my balls a few years ago. It was a slow extraction then after a while you realize something is missing and go FK what happened. They're still in place but they don't have the power they once held. Hence my inability to change old habits .🏋️‍♀️🧘‍♂️

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Hey Dirt, I'm interested if you would ask your buddies a question, I understand their pruning concept how they do it , but I'm wondering if they ever did it the way I do on a large scale and compare both ways , wondering if there is a difference., I don't prune until in flower , depending strain 8/9 day mark or 11/12 day mark depending on how long the stretch is, I prune the entire plant at once leaving a few nodes at the end of each branch, but they still add another node or so anyhow in the last week of stretch , in the end we end up with the exact same thing , their doing it over time i'm doing it all at once, without question it makes for a better product with a lot less trimming time, I wondering if they did both ways in a big room and noticed any difference in weight or size of plant in the end.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

It's very strain dependent. It will help yields most of the time. Sometimes it will will hurt it. All depends on how much of a stretcher it is.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Thats all i was trying to say. With a looser grow or with plants at different stages is quite different than a packed room of uniform plants. The techniques are all tools to be used when proper. I am as interested as you and am learning how to grow a good full room here.

I have a 4x8 shorty tent not ever set up yet and when i get some more lighting i plan to do a full grow in it. Curious if i can monocrop a good BLT plant to 3 lbs of quality with 2 600’s.

You def can with a strain you know. You got it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hey Dirt, I'm interested if you would ask your buddies a question, I understand their pruning concept how they do it , but I'm wondering if they ever did it the way I do on a large scale and compare both ways , wondering if there is a difference., I don't prune until in flower , depending strain 8/9 day mark or 11/12 day mark depending on how long the stretch is, I prune the entire plant at once leaving a few nodes at the end of each branch, but they still add another node or so anyhow in the last week of stretch , in the end we end up with the exact same thing , their doing it over time i'm doing it all at once, without question it makes for a better product with a lot less trimming time, I wondering if they did both ways in a big room and noticed any difference in weight or size of plant in the end.
I actually just talked to my buddy today about a few things including this.

They do 9 plants in the same space I do 4, so they dont veg as long.
They top them small with 5-6 nodes and dont fully strip until they move everything into the flower room. But they're only vegging for 2 weeks, just long enough for the branches to get 6-8" long so there isnt as much to strip. He said he recommended I do it weekly after I top because its lower stress seeing as I veg twice as long and my room is really small, it's more easily doable. He said I could get away with biweekly but weekly is better.

Another interesting thing he said which I never noticed is sometimes the plants will apparently regrow a node after it's been pulled already. You'll go in a week later and a bunch have regrown. thought that was interesting. Happens if you pull them when they're too small apparently.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's gotta be the yucca lol. Sudsing up the ol rootzone.
20200508 191037

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I actually just talked to my buddy today about a few things including this.

They do 9 plants in the same space I do 4, so they dont veg as long.
They top them small with 5-6 nodes and dont fully strip until they move everything into the flower room. But they're only vegging for 2 weeks, just long enough for the branches to get 6-8" long so there isnt as much to strip. He said he recommended I do it weekly after I top because its lower stress seeing as I veg twice as long and my room is really small, it's more easily doable. He said I could get away with biweekly but weekly is better.

Another interesting thing he said which I never noticed is sometimes the plants will apparently regrow a node after it's been pulled already. You'll go in a week later and a bunch have regrown. thought that was interesting. Happens if you pull them when they're too small apparently.

That's interesting. I take it 9 plants per 1k/4x4? Kind of about the same I go at. Top at 4th node. Strip before flower then strip after stretch. Stain dependent then its either none or up to 2-3 times.

How long are you vegging for? Around a month right?

This is about how big I flip them at unless it doesn't stretch and then it's 17 per 4x8 3 rows 6/5/6
IMG 20200509 001749

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

That's interesting. I take it 9 plants per 1k/4x4? Kind of about the same I go at. Top at 4th node. Strip before flower then strip after stretch. Stain dependent then its either none or up to 2-3 times.

How long are you vegging for? Around a month right?

This is about how big I flip them at unless it doesn't stretch and then it's 17 per 4x8 3 rows 6/5/6
View attachment 970514

yeah I grow different, just thats what works best for me, I grow digger plants so I want the least amount of veg time, I shoot for 3 weeks veg , I expect 2 inches of growth a day anyhow, so I don't touch them in veg, plants that stretch a lot get 2 weeks of veg or a hair more plants that don't get 3 weeks or a hair more. I like them to be 30 -36 inches at flip, however I have one strain I have to keep about 24 inches it has a lot of stretch . I prune once after flip, they don't miss a beat, if the plants doesn't stretch a lot i'll leave 4-5 nodes on the branches closer to the top lower side branch 2-3 , a plant that stretches a lot I'll only leave like 3 nodes on the top branches because it will add another 3 or so etc , top cola's and first row anyhow of branches don't get touched. For me this maximizes my yields for all strains and produces the nicest buds 4x4 area I shoot for at least 2lbs

Top Bottom