Tips For Growing Outdoors In The North East

• Thread starter BostonFisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BostonFisher

Hello! I'm growing some bag seeds in MA. They started to flower a few weeks ago and look like they have a long time to go. I'm getting a bit nervous it will get too cold before they are ready to harvest. Is there a way to see if the cold had damaged your plants and you need to cut and go with what you have?

Also, as I think about doing it better next year do people have a recommendation on strains that grow well outdoors in MA or similar environments? I need something that buds fairly early as late September can sometimes be a bit cold out here.

Anything else to keep in mind growing in MA?

Thanks!

R

redlife215

Id inagine tge rains woyld cause a big mold issue

B

BostonFisher

Thanks I haven't had any mold problems (yet). Is that an issue in MA? It was a wet Spring but fairly dry second half of the summer. I watered them a lot but so far no mold.

Madbud

Madbud

Hi neighbor, i also am enjoying our new freedom in the Bay State and have my "dirty dozen" at various stages of flowering, 21-90 days. My concern is moisture at this point ( even lugged a couple five gallon plants in to warm and dry them the other night with a little fan). Any sign of black rot on a bud will be the death sentence. Couple shots of where i'm at.

MW7945

MW7945

Tbh, if they're just starting to flower, you may run into issues with freezing. And if that happens the plant is gone.

I guess idk if this applies, but for "regular" gardens, your biggest concern is the morning dew freezing and frying them. I'd recommend covering them with an old bed sheet or something at night. Should prevent this from happening.

Monster762

Monster762

Rock em til the frost hits. First actual frost. It'll be mentioned on news when it happens. They may survive first frost but not much longer. Once the cold starts hitting the plant knows what time it is. It'll kick out everything it's got. Let em rock out. Then chop at night I'm on east mid- northeast. I know the weather is crazy. Don't rush em. Nature will do its job. You'll start seeing it as the nights start dropping. Probably showing you now. If trichs aren't ready let it rock. I say October. May get lucky n go little more over here.

Monster762

Monster762

Ma is Maine? If so you'll get cold a bit sooner. But still let em rock out. I'm closer to pa area. Which usually is good til October. But sometimes we get that little cool n a summer til December.

Monster762

Monster762

Ma is Maine? If so you'll get cold a bit sooner. But still let em rock out. I'm closer to pa area. Which usually is good til October. But sometimes we get that little cool n a summer til December.
No ma must be mass as the name Boston fisher. Not as bad as Maine. Maine gets cold lot sooner.

B

BostonFisher

Yes it's Massachusetts. Glad I'm not up in Maine that must really be a short season. I'll keep an eye out for frost and cold days. I've use cheese cloth in my regular garden to help on cold nights so I can do that if I'm not too baked and get it together :)

NHWhites

NHWhites

Temps dropping and all this damn rain we're getting is what worries me. I've been pulling my plants under my deck at night during rain showers and shaking the excess moisture off in the morning/night. As others have said, watch for the first frost, usually within the first week or two of October. Indicas and autos are the easiest to cultivate in our region

Madbud

Madbud

Agree NHW, using a dart to look inside and underneath the buds. Drop of water and a spec of fly crap sounds like a recipe for bud rot. We know what happens to wood in new england weather. I'm lucky enough to have steady breezes but they were soaked with rain and dew this week.

NHWhites

NHWhites

Love the purple hints well done!
I was excited when I saw the color...and from an old bag seed no less!! I just wish it didn't get so f'ed up earlier in the summer. Hopefully it's good smoke. I might actually try and reveg some of the lowers

Madbud

Madbud

Found a little black spot today, think this girl has given all shes going to. Just a small bit but deep in a bud and no sense waiting longer.

IMG 2506
IMG 2507
NHWhites

NHWhites

Damn. I'm going to give mine a good look tomorrow. It would be a shame to chop anything right now

Madbud

Madbud

More bud rot but no caterpillar, found one of those yesterday deep in the bud. Buds are so dense, its time

IMG 2524
IMG 2525
Madbud

Madbud

Or top it like the one on the left, let the bottom branches gor for "couchlock" :)

IMG 2529
Top Bottom