Tired of Seeing Breeders Only Offering Fem Seeds

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kolah

They're probably sick of people complaining about getting males! Still you think they could offer both and that would negate any complaining...

I hear dat..although most peeps should know that it's a 50-50 ratio on males to females..and some breeders who sell often mention it. I guess I've been lucky as I have always had more females than males....and very few non-poppers....and zero hermies. knock on wood.

Last edited:
manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Most breeders are selling fems because thats what sells. Its all about Elite clone only cuts these days. That's where all the hype is. So, you combine 2 elites or self them and bam, that's where the hype is, so that's what sells. They are cone only's for a reason. Because people like them.

With that said, I've found feminized seeds are far more likely to find something special then regular seeds. That's been my experience at least. In fact, I just popped at least a dozen different fem crosses and can't wait to see what they hold!

20kwDreamer

20kwDreamer

Years ago you'd self a female to get beans and you could bet that the offsprings would be susceptible to nanners.

Why is that seemingly not the case anymore?

Myth

Myth

The nanners still apply. A friend that pays top dollar for beans now pays people to thin out the hermie phenos of all the fucking S1's. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online place that can ship to the US and be regular? I do not feel like using collidal silver to get hermie pollen. Im just looking for a good bean source. I've been afk for some time, but I would have never thought that the nanner beans would take over the market in such a huge way.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
The nanners still apply. A friend that pays top dollar for beans now pays people to thin out the hermie phenos of all the fucking S1's. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online place that can ship to the US and be regular? I do not feel like using collidal silver to get hermie pollen. Im just looking for a good bean source. I've been afk for some time, but I would have never thought that the nanner beans would take over the market in such a huge way.

You can purchase seeds right here on THCBay or from one of the companies that advertises here.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter

Im sorry, but this is just completely false.. Seeds that were made by chemically reversing a female to create pollen are NOT going to increase your chance of hermaphrodite tendencies in the offspring. This is a myth..I've grown thousands of seeds in my lifetime. The percentage of hermaphrodite tendencies have always been higher in regular male/female seeds than with feminized seeds. At least in my experience...

Now if a female plants naturally produces male flowers(commonly referred to as a hermie), the odds of the resulting seed having hermaphrodite tendencies will likely be higher. As they tend to be genetically prone to this type of behavior.. There's a huge difference between the two.

ArthritiSux

ArthritiSux

Im sorry, but this is just completely false.. Seeds that were made by chemically reversing a female to create pollen are NOT going to increase your chance of hermaphrodite tendencies in the offspring. This is a myth..I've grown thousands of seeds in my lifetime. The percentage of hermaphrodite tendencies have always been higher in regular male/female seeds than with feminized seeds. At least in my experience...

Now if a female plants naturally produces male flowers(commonly referred to as a hermie), the odds of the resulting seed having hermaphrodite tendencies will likely be higher. As they tend to be genetically prone to this type of behavior.. There's a huge difference between the two.
So true, its all about proper breeding an selection of what is feminized IMO.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Yes that's so true, if fems are made with a solid non "hermie" female then the resulting beans should more than likely be "herm" free! Most breeders selling f'ed up fems are usually the ones who are quick to rush these "elite" clone only strains/crosses out to the masses to $$$$$ in off the hype .....the OGs, GSC, and a few others come to mind (.....we already know the Glue is next lol!) Femming a "herm" plant and selling the beans for up to or more than $200 is fuckin' bullshit!!
Sometimes the genetics do play a part in it but most of the time people see "herms" in their garden they have more to do with em! Now that's a hard pill to swallow for many of these self proclaimed master growers out here nowadays lol, not every plant grows alike or likes the same conditions that's one of the reasons I don't grow hydro. The soil you use, your enviro, nutes, etc, etc it's all about finding the plant's sweet spot and not pissing it off!

Most of the time when you find sacs on your gal try to trace back a week or two, I'll bet the barn something happened in that time frame to cause them ....remember now cannabis plants #1 goal in life is to produce seeds, not sinsemilla, it's all about survival and that's a mechanism/trait that probably shouldn't or never will be bred out!

tipz

tipz

The gene pool is taking a beating
Anyone that tells you that chemical inducement doesn't alter
The genetic structure is just full of crap. Its called wallet
protectionism. Tipz

tipz

tipz

Next time you see a pregnant woman, tell her its alright to drink and smoke and expose herself to chemicals. So give them
Plants a xtra dose of the harshes chemical u can find, then tell yourself it didn't matter, and see what the seed landscape looks like in 5 yrs. Herms were once the exception rather than the rule, and now so pervasive. Wonder why that's so?

tipz

tipz

So when demand from the public trends toward the reg beans, these shithacks will all of a sudden have the reg beans, but when u put them in your garden same old herms. The buying public will be treated just like a mushroom.....kept in the dark and fed shit all the time. Bon apetite

MrBanjo

MrBanjo

Being selective about which breeder you patronize helps. I'll never run another CC bean in my life.

I recently ordered some fem beans, from Inspecta, hopefully those will be solid. Generally though, I order regular beans. I've been ordering reg beans mainly to stash, so that in the near future I can supply all my own beans.

It'd be interesting to hear what crosses other non-breeders are working on.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
One reality is that alot of breeders do not want you finding a male and making seeds from them and quite a few breeders are tired of people finding males, making tons of crosses and starting seed companies off the backs and long hard work of the original breeder..no need to create undue competition with your own genetics if you can get around it..

K

kolah

Good point TK. I have always wondered when breeders would start patenting their genetics. ( ie Monsanto) I think there is a lab test (called Gas Chromotography) that can easily identify a specific strain and it's molecules and it can even pick out the specific terpene compositions as well.

The thread has taken on many different opinions regarding the pros and cons of fem seeds. For me, being kinda a "natural" guy I don't know where that line in the sand should be drawn and at what point do we go beyond our limits and risk problems...and maybe problems we won't be able to undo. I definitely see many benefits of fem seeds but as I stated before I'd rather see some softer and kinder ways to produce them. Because I think when it's all said and done Mother Nature always bats last. We will never outsmart her.

Anyway, I'm digging all the comments and I hope we can keep this a civil informational thread.

Last edited:
manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
I've had much less male flowers pop up in my garden in the past 10years than I had in the previous 10. So my experience has been less "hermie" genetics not more. Maybe im the exception, not the rule.

Tips, do you have any info or studies that back up your statement of colloidal silver changes the genetic structure of a plant. I'd be very interested in that research...

Yes, when the buying public demands non feminized seed, that's what the seed sellers will produce. If at that time, the resulting seed has hermaphrodite issues, im sure the company selling the seed wont be in business long. Capitalism at its finest. Demand drives production..

K

kolah

MG's question to Tips (in red) That's a good piece of homework to do. I'd be interested to know as well.

I've had much less male flowers pop up in my garden in the past 10years than I had in the previous 10. So my experience has been less "hermie" genetics not more. Maybe im the exception, not the rule.

Tips, do you have any info or studies that back up your statement of colloidal silver changes the genetic structure of a plant. I'd be very interested in that research...

Yes, when the buying public demands non feminized seed, that's what the seed sellers will produce. If at that time, the resulting seed has hermaphrodite issues, im sure the company selling the seed wont be in business long. Capitalism at its finest. Demand drives production..

SpiderK

SpiderK

i do not have studies but i also recall many, many issues in threads over the last few years with peeps talking about hermies with fem's ..... yesterday, i was in a thread and altitude farmer or another grower just gave up on fem's , i think from c.c. because of so many hermie issues the last 12 months in his garden .....

how do you explain cali connection and raskal having so many issues then .... ?

wifi is a known hermie strain, so many threads with bunk seeds and hermies over the years. but peeps pluck them off and now breeders use it in crosses not caring about the damage thats being passed on ....

even oregon kids S1 drop was chalk full of garbage ..... and what if a guy self's og plants. he's got a built in excuse, oh those hermies are genetic, built into the foundation. and look at all the S1 " elite " clone only's that herm or nuts whatever. it a nice " guess " saying its pre-ordained into that clone but maybe just maybe it because it was selfed in the first place. so peeps can ask for study's , and i wish we had some, but i can flip that one around and say the S1's clone only's toss nuts / herm's because of the selfing thats been done ....

tipz

tipz

IMG 20140904 101432

Try this for starters, and if research fails, Google, tons of info in the university libraries. Just ask yourself what sts does to those tender supple branches being sprayed, and what it does after absorption. Its all there in scientific research. A simple search of....the chemical effects of sts in plant breeding might be a good starting point. In sorry for the rant, it is the single most important issue at least to me in plant genetics

tipz

tipz

One reality is that alot of breeders do not want you finding a male and making seeds from them and quite a few breeders are tired of people finding males, making tons of crosses and starting seed companies off the backs and long hard work of the original breeder..no need to create undue competition with your own genetics if you can get around it..

I agree with most u said, but if you think enough of your long
hard work, then don't sell them. You relinquish any expectations when u sell the beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom