Tired of trainwrecking other peoples threads? Well then, come party at the captains! Trainwreck this thread with…….trains? Anything goes here……….

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sourorangedieselkush

sourorangedieselkush

Think I’ve had an issue with drainage this whole run. Every time I water they seem to be thirsty after a day or two. Water is settling in middle of the pot I think. Zero water reaches the bottom of the fabric pot. Leaves seem droopy all the time even after tea brews and feeding. I stuck the soil meter to the bottom of the pot and it’s bone dry even after watering. Anyone agree that may very well be causing the leaves to droop? I can post a video of the soil meter if needed. It goes from wet to zero quickly

Edit *****
The soil is wet in random spots but the bottom is bone dry. I can’t water again bc the pot is wet in certain spots above it

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Think I’ve had an issue with drainage this whole run. Every time I water they seem to be thirsty after a day or two. Water is settling in middle of the pot I think. Zero water reaches the bottom of the fabric pot. Leaves seem droopy all the time even after tea brews and feeding. I stuck the soil meter to the bottom of the pot and it’s bone dry even after watering. Anyone agree that may very well be causing the leaves to droop? I can post a video of the soil meter if needed. It goes from wet to zero quickly

Edit *****
The soil is wet in random spots but the bottom is bone dry. I can’t water again bc the pot is wet in certain spots above it
I use rice hulls in my soil , I mix a bunch in. Might help

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

Edit *****
Try to bottom water the next time you water it might take a while and be more labor intensive but it’s the best way to ensure that the saturation is even. After ten minutes anything that wasn’t absorbed can be collected and run through the top. If you don’t get any run off when you top water, water it until you do.

PooToe

PooToe

Edit *****
Sounds like you're watering too quickly. When I'm running only a couple of plants I like to use a 2 liter water bottle with holes poked in the lid to water the plants. In a 7 gal cloth pot I'll sprinkle about a 1/4 liter over the entire surface and let it soak in for a few minutes. I water in another 1/2 liter and wait a few minutes more to allow capillary action to do its thing. If water starts coming out the side of the bag I'm watering too much at one time and I'll back off the amount and give it a little longer to soak into the soil. I continue watering a 1/2 liter at a time until I see runoff.

Another way to improve media saturation would be to use Matrix plates and pads from FloraFlex. I use these on my automated system and they work great. I also used them for hand watering and got the same even saturation all the way down to the bottom of the pot

BTW IMO, soil meters are junk. They are only relevant to the couple inches around the probe. The only way I've seen soil meters actually work the way they should is to use multiple meters stuck through the side of the bag at different soil levels. As was mentioned, dry spot readings will give you false dry readings and raise the chances of overwatering. Light pot method has been the most reliable IMO.

sourorangedieselkush

sourorangedieselkush

Sounds like you're watering too quickly. When I'm running only a couple of plants I like to use a 2 liter water bottle with holes poked in the lid to water the plants. In a 7 gal cloth pot I'll sprinkle about a 1/4 liter over the entire surface and let it soak in for a few minutes. I water in another 1/2 liter and wait a few minutes more to allow capillary action to do its thing. If water starts coming out the side of the bag I'm watering too much at one time and I'll back off the amount and give it a little longer to soak into the soil. I continue watering a 1/2 liter at a time until I see runoff.

Another way to improve media saturation would be to use Matrix plates and pads from FloraFlex. I use these on my automated system and they work great. I also used them for hand watering and got the same even saturation all the way down to the bottom of the pot

BTW IMO, soil meters are junk. They are only relevant to the couple inches around the probe. The only way I've seen soil meters actually work the way they should is to use multiple meters stuck through the side of the bag at different soil levels. As was mentioned, dry spot readings will give you false dry readings and raise the chances of overwatering. Light pot method has been the most reliable IMO.
Appreciate everyone’s replies. I will use all that on this next run!

Latest posts

Top Bottom