Tired of trainwrecking other peoples threads? Well then, come party at the captains! Trainwreck this thread with…….trains? Anything goes here……….

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

so after mulling it over the last few days I decided it time to make a video about the eccentricities, and differences between up potting a photo and an auto.
I feel like this needed to happen, because it can get really confusing. So follow along. And see if this helps you in the future.
Man I was stressing on that auto. It almost ate my lunch.

BEHOLD.
I can seperate 30 pepper starts from a cube and up pot and never lose a one. never understood people freaking over an auto

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

These squash daddies are demanding to get out of these cups so I have to build them a house today so they don't get too chilly at night.
my pickling cucumbers are doing the exact same. Begging me for the ground outside pretty hard, still getting some nights in the 40s some days though

Im having to water them every other day already, will be every day once theres a little more surface area to them. You can see some of the consequence of my water quality in this photo, as well as just on the edge of the photo to the left -_-

440004769 3673834372869203 6414259710185175957 n
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
got out of the shower and drying off and was damn how'd I get that big scab on my leg....nope. It is kinda satisfying to eject one of those fuckers though. (aka mustard plug)
It’s like your skull is taking a shit

Bc man, it feels great to shoot that stalagmite anywhere at that point.

Fucking refreshing

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
my pickling cucumbers are doing the exact same. Begging me for the ground outside pretty hard, still getting some nights in the 40s some days though

Im having to water them every other day already, will be every day once theres a little more surface area to them.
They grow so damned fast when I run them in the winter inside under led, they loooove that shot. So does any vine I’ve supplemented over freeze season. Nice veggies man.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

They grow so damned fast when I run them in the winter inside under led, they loooove that shot. So does any vine I’ve supplemented over freeze season. Nice veggies man.
I grew a 60lb watermelon from a dwc bucket under a single 120 actual watt led panel once lmao. In dwc, across the board, your intensity of light doesn't play nearly as big a roll in plant size and development. They dont need to manufacture nearly as much through photosynthesis as a soil based plant does. (not saying thats a pro, nor a con, just a trait of the method, for fruit and flower end quality, it's a borderline con, for yield its a pro)

Ima try and dig the pics up. It wasnt super sweet, and it was over watery, but it was still a really cool thing to see

(i got stormed out of work today, currently working at a country club, so now you guys are stuck with me for a bit)

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
got out of the shower and drying off and was damn how'd I get that big scab on my leg....nope. It is kinda satisfying to eject one of those fuckers though. (aka mustard plug)
Pay you 20 bucks to dry it, chop out a rail and offer it to the most annoying person in your circle. Sell it as some super rad cannabis nose powder. 40% weed 60% not my snot…..

Do it

IMG 8371
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Is it weird that after I’m always really wanting to dry up some scrapple? The lizard
Brain
I will just pick up my tits and go fuck myself then 🙋‍♀️

Good day sir!
you see, you may get more
Poontang that way.

I tell folks who are being subhuman asshholes for no reason to nice people all the time

“go fuck yourself, you will certainly get more pussy that way”

It works .👊🏻🤡

TreeBee

TreeBee

Im having to water them every other day already, will be every day once theres a little more surface area to them. You can see some of the consequence of my water quality in this photo, as well as just on the edge of the photo to the left -_-
yeah still pretty chilly here should be able to maintain 50f for the last few cold nights.

My tomatoes have been out uncovered for over a week. They got a wee bit of cold damage but I just told them to walk it off. They will be fine lol

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I can seperate 30 pepper starts from a cube and up pot and never lose a one. never understood people freaking over an auto
It’s really just weird, I honestly don’t even know how that got to be so pervasive in the online info base.

Aside from people looking for a scapegoat bc they did something to cause a a lady to faceplant

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

It’s really just weird, I honestly don’t even know how that got to be so pervasive in the online info base.

Aside from people looking for a scapegoat bc they did something to cause a a lady to faceplate
i think the root of stressing out over topping and transplanting autos is just how quickly they start going into flower once growing. But they all dont go straight into flower right away either. Some will veg on for a good bit first.

Technically, every piled up stress factor is GOING to damage end yeild in one way or another on an auto, thats just how it is with them. Technically thats just a fact, and you dont have the ability to prune and continue vegging or clone and try again like with a photoperiod. This creates paranoia in newer growers i think. Not 100% sure, but its def the root of that.

Ive never stressed it much the few times back in the day i grew autos, but i do recommend to new growers especially, to just start them in whatever pot you want to finish them in, and to just let them grow however they want to grow aside from some LST if you so desire. Probably leave the sc and topping/fimming out of the equation, but there are some autos that will respond nicely to it out there, they just arent the more common "tiny plant under a single led panel at 18/6" variety of auto done 8-10 weeks after the seed first pops pulling an ounce or two at finish.

A newer grower would also take a statement like ^that^ as if it were the law too most likely.

Last edited:
Leoman

Leoman

Im losing my mind over here trying to get a damn digital PH meter.

My water is below neutral to begin with, and im having to use an RO filter. My shits probably around 5 or so, not sure because i only have damn test strips saying anything between 4.5-6

The only hydro store in this area.... no handheld digital ph meters. Just those soil probes. (!?!?!?huh?!?!) or those huge systems for large scale hydro reservoirs with multiple probes.

Ive ordered a couple now. One tracking never updated, got a refund, the second one was in my town on saturday, as of this morning its several hundred miles away near Virginia beach. Just ordered another one. I need an adequate way to read ph and EC. at least for a little bit, ive never mixed anything with this water before and my babies are waiting on their first real feeding now.

Ill prob just wing the first feeding assuming my water is around the 5.5ish usual for RO (its going to be on the lower side of normal for RO pretty sure) . It's not hard ime to set the ph WAY out of whack when your only mixing up a gallon for a bunch of babies though.

Im pissed off and mad about it this morning lmao. The post office is legendarily incompetent these days. And people wonder why they hemorrhage money in every direction. Multiply this mistake by a few tens of thousands or so, and thats just the amount of their own time wasted every single day.

I ended up getting this one and it seems accurate. Apera is supposed to be one of the better affordable brands. Never had to calibrate it since it always reads correct in the testing solution. I tried one of those cheap ones that comes with calibration powder and it was always off.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I read the plant, not the gadgets lol such an overlooked aspect of growing is knowing what your plants are telling you
i have plants telling me that my water is woefully inadequate from this well. I know when i run tap water through the RO it comes out at 5.5-6.

Well i have test strips reading this water, that started at about 6 ph with about 900ppm, at anywhere between 4.5-6 out the RO.

I also know from using these strips in my hot tub, that they do usually read pretty consistent and accurate.

My well is dug to shallow.

There are absolutely, 100% times and places for using a digital PH meter, and without having one, you will straight up kill your plants. Im currently dealing with one of these times and places lmao.

I wont be necessary for very long for the soil plants, not at all for the outdoor plants. But ive never worked with water anything like this before and im already dealing with some definite soil ph too low issues almost right off the bat. Im gonna be putting a little potassium bicarbonate in today's watering based on my past knowledge of doing such with tap water, but with the inconsistency of its measurments, landing where i need to be for treating a soil thats already drifted too low is going to be a total crapshoot.

Im also using my own compost, because i had it, and coir, because i could get it in store out here (mega boonies lol) and thats not going to help the low soil ph issue thats starting to present one bit either. there was a good bit of wood chip and fruit scrap into the compost. Its probably pretty acidic to begin with. I did wash the coir qith neutral spring water before using, but i already know from past experience compost can be pretty acidic, and in the past when using homemade compost i have also had to take some water and runoff PH measurements so i knew what i was going to be doing mixing a feed.

If the feed you are using doesn't have inbuilt ph stabilizers and you arent using plant treated tap water, its a lot easier then you'd think to inadvertently dose up your soil plants with a PH as low as 5.5 when there is feed in it.

Ive gone long periods of time without ever touching a PH meter yea, but i would strongly advise keeping one around in certain growing contexts. Even if just as a wobbly table shim lol. I can already tell its gonna be a good buddy to me at this place with this water. Especially when i kick back over to DWC.

Last edited:
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
i think the root of stressing out over topping and transplanting autos is just how quickly they start going into flower once growing.

Technically, ever piled up stress factor is GOING to damage end yeild in one way or another. Technically thats just a fact, and you dont have the ability to prune and continue vegging like with a photoperiod.

Ive never stressed it much the few times back in the day i grew autos, but i do recommend to new growers especially, to just start them in whatever pot you want to finish them in, and to just let them grow however they want to grow aside from some LST if you so desire.
Yeah my issue with that, is most new folks don’t have proper watering know how, and I couldn’t even count at this point how many people end up in this situation here, let’s say a two week plant starts to show
A little bit of n fade , maybe hot soil, maybe the light, but more often then not, they go straight into ph yadda and folks chime its most likely hungry yadda yadda and a well intentioned novice starts throwing nutes at it early they ph a basin of water too high, then too low ect. wanting to be a reactive/proactive grower, let’s say. 3g fabric pot, they water one day, don’t see much improvement, start thinking too much and hit it with some other solution, BUT , now we foliar spray, all types of different shit , but that whole time, new guy is flooding root zone, and the majority of that food goes right past the roots and settle at the bottom. After a while the saturation is usually so bad, that roots will turn around go elsewhere and boom now we are stunted to, at the same time no new growth can penetrate it no oxygen, and what litttle did make it down there usually dies, then they chop,
And go to remove the rootball and 3/4 of the dirt used, is just wet pot that never got used anyways. I see that a lot.
and I get the different viewpoints, yesterday, I pointed out that, indeed people have success that way. But it’s not ever folks who are just starting out. In my experience Because also, if they are too heavy handed, since a saturation in the medium is present and not drying out proper, they will try to do weight checks, and man when nothing is taking anything up, that can causes a plant topside to exhibit a dry back wilt, which is crazy deceptive because new guy has thrown the entire tool box at it and now it’s wilting. as well as feeling fed, mass confusion over a simple thing ensues. I seen it alot. So I always try to tell folks who find they’re in that situation to pot down if you aren’t a bull in a china shop, unwinding some roots will help everything usually works out. Or if they choose to stay in the big pot, I try to steer them to a sprayer application at the stalk to allow for that pot to dry back while not adding more to it , and keeping the kiddo hydrated at the same time. that’s how I rollski
There’s a million ways to skin this cat bro! 👊🏻🤡

TreeBee

TreeBee

i have plants telling me that my water is woefully inadequate from this well. I know when i run tap water through the RO it comes out at 5.5-6.

Well i have test strips reading this water, that started at about 6 ph with about 900ppm, at anywhere between 4.5-6 out the RO.

I also know from using these strips in my hot tub, that they do usually read pretty consistent and accurate.

My well is dug to shallow.
Do you have a filter at all? Even a carbon filter would help a lot with the heavy metals and smell. For your shower if not your plants lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom