titanium nail

• Thread starter Steve Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steve Gray

Steve Gray

i just bought a ti nail off my boy. it has some blue and green segments of color but he said its from oxidation. also he said its bad to get this nail red hot. is it truely bad to get my nail too hot?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Haven't tried it myself but have heard of 'seasoning' the ti like iron cookware. Torching it red after that would defeat the effort, but not sure otherwise how it would be bad (i've been around a lot of ti welding, pretty high temps at play, can't imagine a butane flame doing much to it).

Landfishd

Landfishd

I get mine red hot, but then let it cool down a bit before using it for taste reasons. I'm not sure you can damage it with too much heat, but like El Cerebro mentioned maybe it defeats your seasoning efforts.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

for taste reasons exactly. could it be harmful in any way?

Graywolf

Graywolf

If you have a Ti nail, the very first thing you should do is get it red hot and let it cool down several times to build an inactive alpha case layer on the surface. I would then coat it with reclaim oil and cook that off a couple times to season it, before sitting back to savor the taste with fresh oil.

Titanium by itself is highly reactive when heated and until you build the alpha case, you will definitely taste the hot Ti.

The alpha case will be composed of Titanium dioxide, and nitrides, which range in color from light straw through the reds, into the blues, and then to grey. They are extremely inert once they tie up all the Ti.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

ok well ive been blazin on it for awhile now so how shuld i build up this alpha case now? and idk if its v1, v2, or v3 soooo yeaaa

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

pretty sure v1
If you have a Ti nail, the very first thing you should do is get it red hot and let it cool down several times to build an inactive alpha case layer on the surface. I would then coat it with reclaim oil and cook that off a couple times to season it, before sitting back to savor the taste with fresh oil.

Titanium by itself is highly reactive when heated and until you build the alpha case, you will definitely taste the hot Ti.

The alpha case will be composed of Titanium dioxide, and nitrides, which range in color from light straw through the reds, into the blues, and then to grey. They are extremely inert once they tie up all the Ti.
I will partly agree w that statement GW. You see one reason we consider vaping off Ti vs other metals is for the fact that aluminum sheds off its electrons at a relatively low temperature, while Ti holds together rather well and stays intact w out losing electrons. Aluminum has also been associated w alztimers or however you spell it, and since we know better, we tend to pass the offers of old school Al bullets w screw on caps. Thats just as ghetto as can smoking. Once caked w gunk of lower grade waxes, oils, or other concentrates, its time to wire brush and hot EtOH the nail until its new like. Then it works rather well. The red hot is my preference as its partially combustion and partially vape, gives a richer vapor/smoke combo than letting it cool a bit. Its really a matter of preference.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

i rea;lly dont care im just worried about health. is it harmful in any way? i like mine new too. well not new but a nice clean surface to contact the oil str8 to ti

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

I will partly agree w that statement GW. You see one reason we consider vaping off Ti vs other metals is for the fact that aluminum sheds off its electrons at a relatively low temperature, while Ti holds together rather well and stays intact w out losing electrons. Aluminum has also been associated w alztimers or however you spell it, and since we know better, we tend to pass the offers of old school Al bullets w screw on caps. Thats just as ghetto as can smoking. Once caked w gunk of lower grade waxes, oils, or other concentrates, its time to wire brush and hot EtOH the nail until its new like. Then it works rather well. The red hot is my preference as its partially combustion and partially vape, gives a richer vapor/smoke combo than letting it cool a bit. Its really a matter of preference.

M

montroller

If you really want to hit it clean then just do the heat and cool step a couple times without coating it in reclaim.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

yea thats what i figured. thanks a lot guys. all these forums that every1 has helped me out on will help out tons of people im sure

Graywolf

Graywolf

Sorry, been on vacation!

Two things; all you need to do to clean the nail is heat it above 750F and it will reduce the carbon deposits to C02 and light white ash.
Secondly, the only way to remove an alpha case, once it is formed, is by mechanically grinding or chemically milling it away, usually using a nitric/hydrofluoric acid. Normally chemically milling is used, as the act of grinding may initiate a crack.

In aerospace, alpha cases are the bain of Titanium, because it is brittle and initiates cracks, which propogate into the parent material. The specifications that we supplied Titanium parts against, required that all alpha case be removed prior to final inspection and shipment.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

so building up this alpha case will help keep the ti nail taste to itself ;)

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

ok thanks for your help. one lastttttt question (i say that a lot) is it unhealthy in any way? im sure thats the biggest concern of a lot of people

Graywolf

Graywolf

ok thanks for your help. one lastttttt question (i say that a lot) is it unhealthy in any way? im sure thats the biggest concern of a lot of people

I'm not a doctor, but vaporizing doesn't produce the carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis that smoking does, and I'm unaware of any studies showing any harmful effects.

It is salubrious enough that I've chosen it as one of my own medication methods, knowing full well that at any minute a new study may show that it causes us to grow a third nipple.

As far as the Titanium, it is one of the choices for implants in the human body.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

ahhh very true, i just thought that getting the titanium hot would release some kind of chemical that would mess up my lungs, more than all the weed and oil ;)

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

they prob wouldnt be selling it on the open market if it released some noxious shit...def lawsuit even if it is a weed prod...
pretty sure co goes through prod dev before its released to the masses...
maybe not tho..lol

Graywolf

Graywolf

ahhh very true, i just thought that getting the titanium hot would release some kind of chemical that would mess up my lungs, more than all the weed and oil ;)

No chemicals to release. Ti is an element.

Top Bottom