Tmv

• Thread starter SkyHi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SkyHi

How common is Tobacco Mosaic Virus in marijuana? anyone have any experience, links, info, etc.

S

SkyHi

THe guy at the hydroshop near my house swears its easy as hell to give your plants TMV this why i ask. He said even smoking blunts in the same room give it to them.

M

mikeexpo

Only heard of it .never seen it. can't help you.smoke and smoke some more

G

GigZ-16

TMV is a virus. Therefore it can only be passed by another virus. Smoking a cigar in your grow room will not give your plants TMV. Scientifically impossible. Unless you live on or close to a tobacco farm I dought you will ever encounter it.

C

cway

Certain strains carry the Virus... I had a plant out of a OG Kush Bx1 F2 population that showed the TMV..Culled it and it hasnt showed again...

S

SkyHi

Is is it pretty much safe to smoke blunts and cigs near plants, the only way of passing TMV is between ispecies. ANyone have contradicting info on this?

C

Core

IMHO....its more common than most people think...i did a bit of research on this subject and i found out that it is not dfficult to pass the virus...only by handeling tobacco you can pass the virus to your plants.....more so if you don't wash the hands afterwards while taking cutting is the most vunerable time....also cutting tools can be a hazzard for passing the virus...
and as i gathered ,even sterillization won't help with removing the virus completly from the tools...

G

GigZ-16

even sterillization won't help with removing the virus completly from the tools...

I learned in my mushroom growing studies that to completely kill everything on an object you need to pressure cook it for 60 minutes at 15 lb PSI. Then if you want to get rid of the last .01% of life on the object just wait exactly 24 hours and repeat.

That will leave your tools 100% sterilized. But who has the time to do this everything they trim the plant, ya know?

L

Limeygreen

TMV requires very high temperatures to kill, ToMV (Tobacco mosiac) is even harder to kill. I would rather have TMV than ToMV, but smoking could pass it onto another plant as the combustion isn't a high enough temperature to eradicate it, assuming it had the virus. I would think that any plant that was severely enough affected or even a bit affect by ToMV wouldn't be harvested due to the aesthetics. TMV on the other hand is Tomatoe Mosiac. A plant could carry it even though it was resistant I suppose but the chance of smoking a cigarette with TOMV and then another plant becoming affected is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, smoking near plants would make me more worried about clogging up the stomata of the plant/s. Robert Clarke et all in their book hemp pests and dieseases say that there are no visual symptoms of TMV or ToMV the only thing that was noticed was reduced vigor and yield. If you really believe you have these viruses, take a leaf (wearing gloves and all) and break it a bit and scratch say a tomatoe plant (that isn't resistant, say an heirloom) and rubbing the leave onto the plant and see if symptoms appear then you can easily identify it. I have a hard time believing tmv or tomv infects hemp with mosaic symptoms, I would be more inclined to believe it was alfalfa or cucumber mosaic, just my opinion. I have tried contacting hemp researchers about this and only one said they didn't have any information on it.

S

SkyHi

I learned in my mushroom growing studies that to completely kill everything on an object you need to pressure cook it for 60 minutes at 15 lb PSI. Then if you want to get rid of the last .01% of life on the object just wait exactly 24 hours and repeat.

That will leave your tools 100% sterilized. But who has the time to do this everything they trim the plant, ya know?
Lol, let me fire up the autoclave. Lol i dont think my cheap ass scissors would survive, let alone any virus hahahha jk.

TMV requires very high temperatures to kill, ToMV (Tobacco mosiac) is even harder to kill. I would rather have TMV than ToMV, but smoking could pass it onto another plant as the combustion isn't a high enough temperature to eradicate it, assuming it had the virus. I would think that any plant that was severely enough affected or even a bit affect by ToMV wouldn't be harvested due to the aesthetics. TMV on the other hand is Tomatoe Mosiac. A plant could carry it even though it was resistant I suppose but the chance of smoking a cigarette with TOMV and then another plant becoming affected is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, smoking near plants would make me more worried about clogging up the stomata of the plant/s. Robert Clarke et all in their book hemp pests and dieseases say that there are no visual symptoms of TMV or ToMV the only thing that was noticed was reduced vigor and yield. If you really believe you have these viruses, take a leaf (wearing gloves and all) and break it a bit and scratch say a tomatoe plant (that isn't resistant, say an heirloom) and rubbing the leave onto the plant and see if symptoms appear then you can easily identify it. I have a hard time believing tmv or tomv infects hemp with mosaic symptoms, I would be more inclined to believe it was alfalfa or cucumber mosaic, just my opinion. I have tried contacting hemp researchers about this and only one said they didn't have any information on it.

No i dont have any symtoms i just wanted to know becuase i smoke blunts and cigs near my garden all the time.:animal0057:

T

tribeca

In my opinion,TMV is passed to plants threw its root system.Next question I ask myself is how?I only started hearing or seeing TMV when growers begun using molasses and other cane sugar byproducts.Check the label on some of your additives.Just my opinion though, does not mean its factual but think about it for a second.How does a plant eats?

L

Limeygreen

I think you are right that it can be passed through the roots, but it will move through foliage or other plant material. In the roots I think there would have to be injured roots to become infected easily, but otherwise I could imagine it could get in around the root cap.

K

koopa troopa

TMV is TOBACCO MOSAIC VIRUS. It was the first plant disease they found which happened to be on tobacco plants. Insects are the most common vector for transmission for the TMV. Not every tobacco plants has this virus either. One very important thing is that tobacco DOES NOT show signs of TMV for every affected individual. The best crop to test if your plants if they have TMV is cucumbers... They exhibit very noticeable TMV traits unlike many infected plants do.

M

Magoo

I was experiencing some issues with plants, getting a twist or a curve laterally on the fan leaves, a little discoloring, sporadic yellowing, no pattern to it....

Just from doing some looking we all were thinking it was TMV, or maybe ToMV Limeygreen that's the first I've seen that acronym so I'll do some more digging.

Core has some great photos over at another sight, maybe Core you could do a couple here, I know I had some good leaf curl pics of the Chemdog D when she did it to me.

The issue I think I was having was with some winged aphids. That was the only issues I was having with the plants, aside from the occasional pm hickup, I wonder if the winged aphids brought the tmv or whatever it was?

Weirdest thing about it, it eventually went away/recessive.... I flowered out those ladies and they did quite well, aside from some crooked leaves and even my schrom, (which went bleach yellow) came back and did nicely.... hope more heads can come together and maybe we can get a lock on this.

Good info everyone!!!

M

MIZZ ELVIS

I would think that most viruses are too big to pass through the casparian layer of the roots. The size of most plant viruses range between 20nm - 80nm. There size alone prevents them from invading through the roots. TMV enters mainly through wounded vascular plant cells.
www.apsnet.org/education/lessonsplantpath/TMV/images/fig10.jpg

Transmission from plant to plant
TMV is very easily transmitted when an infected leaf rubs against a leaf of a healthy plant, by contaminated tools, and occasionally by workers whose hands become contaminated with TMV after smoking cigarettes. A wounded plant cell provides a site of entry for TMV. The virus can also contaminate seed coats, and the plants germinating from these seeds can become infected. TMV is extraordinarily stable. Purified TMV (Figure 6) has been reported to be infectious after 50 years storage in the laboratory at 4°C/40°F.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Lil more info...

TMV enters the plant cell through minor wounds. Once TMV enters the cell, the virus particles disassemble in an organized manner to expose the TMV RNA. The virus RNA is positive-sense, or "+ sense", and serves directly as a messenger RNA (mRNA) that is translated using host ribosomes. Translation of the replicase-associated proteins (RP) 126- and 183-kDa) begins within a few minutes of infection.

As soon as these proteins have been synthesized, the replicase associates with the 3' end of the + sense TMV RNA for the production of a negative sense, or "- sense", RNA. The - sense RNA is the template to produce both full-length genomic + sense RNA as well as the + sense subgenomic RNAs (sgRNAs) (Figure 8)

TMV uses its movement protein to spread from cell-to-cell through plasmodesmata, which connect plant cells (figure 10). Normally, the plasmodesmata are too small for passage of intact TMV particles.

The movement protein (probably with the assistance of as yet unidentified host proteins) enlarges the plasmodesmatal openings so that TMV RNA can move to the adjacent cells, release the movement protein and host proteins, and initiate a new round of infection. As the virus moves from cell to cell, it eventually reaches the plant's vascular system (veins) for rapid systemic spread through the phloem to the roots and tips of the growing plant.

K

koopa troopa

think about it, what do fungus gnat larvae feed on? what do the adults feed on? they can penetrate plant tissue which is the same as open wound scenario.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

check this out

Transmission of tobacco streak virus by Thrips tabaci a new method of plant virus transmission RATANA SDOODEE 1 D. S. TEAKLE 1 1 Department of Microbiology, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4067, Australia

When adults or nymphs of Thrips tabaci were mixed with virus-carrying pollen from Lycopersicon esculentum infected with tobacco streak virus and then placed on Chenopodium amaranticolor test seedlings, the virus was regularly transmitted. The virus was also regularly transmitted when virus-carrying pollen was placed on the leaves of C amaranticolor test seedlings and the thrips then introduced. No transmission occurred when test seedlings were exposed to virus-carrying pollen in the absence of the thrips or to the thrips without pollen. Further, no transmission occurred when the thrips were fed on virus-infected leaves and then transferred to test seedlings in the absence of virus-carrying pollen. The evidence indicates that the transmission of tobacco streak virus by Thrips tabaci depends on the presence of pollen-borne virus, which presumably infects via wounds made by the thrips. This method of virus transmission has not previously been reported.

Latest posts

Top Bottom