Tnelz thread about whatever!

• Thread starter Tnelz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tnelz

Tnelz

I find testing stuff that way to be difficult as well. I can't test some stuff, & try some taken a few days later & notice a difference. It may be just that my tolerance is so high that minor changes.

I see...could you put some sort of reducer or series of reducers (technically, I mean the opposite of a reducer) to a cap filter? That way the exhaust the AC is putting out, the air getting into your cars, would be filtered? Those AC's usually have 4" ducting no? If so, it would just be a converted to a 6" & use a centrifugal fan to help the ac fan. Those portable units aren't designed to have a lot of air pressure exhausting, so if you were to run it to a cap filter, I think you would need to give the ac fan some assistance.

Double that.

Some other forums are active & have a lot of people on them, but I find most of them to have a lot of flame wars & cliques. If this was the first & only forum you go to, you nailed it from the start!

How long did you veg them?

In that case the way we can best help you is to see the area, or give us dimensions (LxWxH) of the room, what the ambient temp/RH is. Where the room is located in the house etc. Just for an example, if you were just running in a 4' x 4' (& cash wasn't an issue) the Kind K51000 would be fantastic. If you think you may alter the room size, HID is a good way to go. It's easy to daisy chain hoods. My electric rate may play a role, but even running 3k of hid light, my electric bill is under $250

What a dump! ;) I will look into those nutes, those look mighty fine!

I have a hood like that now, the Raptor dual bulb. I have a 1k HPS & a 400 watt MH in there for veg. This is an experiment for me, so I don't have a lot of answers for you right now.

A couple things I can say right now are the hood says not to go over 1k. It doesn't specify if that is total? Or each bulb? The sockets are completely separate. Separate wiring, separate ballasts everything. So the only reason I can see for the 1k limit is if the aluminum won't take the heat. Which is totally possible. I've not looked into it, but I have heard from people that the stuff made overseas (by Hydrofarm & Sun Systems) has a higher tendency to catch fire. My shop won't carry the chinese made stuff because of it. Like Sun Systems has hoods that are US made & some that are Chinese made, my shop won't sell the Chinese stuff. But I have about 1500 in there right now & it's fine.

I can say that what you are talking about with the first two weeks & last two weeks of MH, works much better with the Horti Blue. But they rape you on the bulb.

Also, at my local shop the other day they have the Raptor now without the glass & external stuff. It's basically just the aluminum part at a good discount. I will def be grabbing one.

I don't know if there are others. But I've seen the SS & Nano in person & the SS feels better built.

With some strains, I have not flushed before & not noticed a difference vs flushing. That was with organic (fairly organic lol) With bottled nutes, even organic, with other strains, it seems almost intolerable if you don't flush it. Others, aren't so bad. I haven't figured that out yet, but to me, it just seems like a good practice to flush it...knowing you may create really bad cough weed.

Indeed.

How much mag are you using? Still Cali-magic?
I have and haven't flushed but there is no question one should flush. However once the nutrients are in the plant they are in the plant. You can't really get them all out. Point being I flush to get as much chlorophyll out. Really inhibits Flávor. And couldn't agree more flushing should happen. There are different methods to that as well though.

Tnelz

Tnelz

@THCdurk ...unless you are putting the seedlings straight into flower without any veg time I would suggest getting a 400w MH bulb for veg, that is if your ballast allows both MH and HPS....just a thought
400 vs 400 doesn't make a huge amount of difference. They will veg a plant pretty close performance wise. I used to do it and a ton of peeps here do as well. I'm just of the mind if we are talking a 400 you don't need to waste the doe if you don't really want to. At that wattage the results are close to the same minus the expense of the extra bulb. So before I'm gone for a day or so. Can you pm me with a schedule for stuff. Respect man.

Tnelz

Tnelz

What are the big differences between digital and mag I know one you can adjust the strength of the light I believe? Other than that I'm not to sure. And it's funny how it says 400 watt on it and the person was still confused about the light and how much it was for some reason....
Digital is more efficient than mag runs cooler and produces a little more at the bulb. However I use mags because they never break and if they do it costs pennies to fix where a digi goes and you might as well just buy a new one.

Tnelz

Tnelz

are you saying that you feel that both get the same result or just that an hps will work? I ask bc I was just reading today how a big cause of seedlings getting too stretchy is bc of too much red and not enough blue specttrum...just asking

i used that info and logic to guess that vegging the whole time would give you this lanky plant with nodes that are far from tight...
At 400 watts there isn't much difference. So it more than works it works really well vs a 400 metal halide.,Think of this you see way less than 400 watt CFL vege pics all the time. A 400 watt hps will work so much better than any 3 cfms unless we are talking the big ones. Seedlings or any age plants under that light if you can keep it fairly close. So in an air cooled set up where either bulb can be placed at the sa,e distance the hps will do a fine job as to make the my an unnecessary expense. Just one mans opinion.

Tnelz

Tnelz

How are these root bound when these lady's are way bigger and in solosView attachment 559319View attachment 559319 View attachment 559319
Ok first question is it the same medium? Are they the same plants? Do you know what those roots look like? Unless you are late into bloom and the plant is yellowing that is a classic nitrogen def caused by being root bound. Not every plant is as tolerant to being root bound. There is any number of reasons why one plant is and another isn't. So again if it's not just normal bloom fade to me they are root bound. Simple way to find out man. Dose them with nitrogen and if it stops 100 percent and doesn't come back then you know. If it doesn't and I'd be willing to bet it will minimally help temporarily then it will start again.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Please tell me your running coco
I was going to say the same thing. Lol. You can grow nice size plants in a solo in coco but soil it's going to get rough soon. I grew a couple plants in 1 quart coco Hempys a couple years ago just to see. I did pretty good but I'm a hand waterer so I just couldn't keep up. However still got 27 grams of some pretty good stuff and had a blast with the test. Funny how we find weird ways to have fun.

Wildill

Wildill

Finished product..

Tnelz

Tnelz

@Lazerus00 my answer to your question is absolutely. It's my opinion one is the direct cause of the other. If you remember about 50 pages ago I was bitching about my rks plants giving me fits. What was happening was exactly the symptoms we are seeing in those pics. Yellowing from the bottom up indicating n being short. Well they weren't to big so being root bound wasn't on my mind. So I threw a little extra n at them and it was a minimal increase. Well I ended up with burnt tips just a bit and the problem was still going on. So I ultimately came to the conclusion they were root bound so I up potted and whap everything is fine. Dialed the n back and they showed zero issues. So based on that experience and a few others like it I feel that that's what we are seeing.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

I have and haven't flushed but there is no question one should flush. However once the nutrients are in the plant they are in the plant. You can't really get them all out. Point being I flush to get as much chlorophyll out. Really inhibits Flávor. And couldn't agree more flushing should happen. There are different methods to that as well though.
you think flushing is just as important in soil? running organic in soil?

Junk

Junk

@Junk View attachment 559294 View attachment 559291 View attachment 559292 View attachment 559293

taking clones in flower increases pistil production.

this is the original run. notice less pistils than top picture?View attachment 559295

I probably only got about 2 weeks worth of veg maybe 3. just had shitty spectrum fluros now I got the right ones they slowed down on their stretching. Remer these are just for fun while I'm getting shit ready. got my first portion of the insurance policy today, a nice 10 grand $$$! still waiting on another 40...
Stumpy,

You gotta learn to tie a bitch down dude! (lol)

I'll cut a bitch. :opps:

I never noticed increased pistil production & I've taken monsters back to flower a few times. I think you might just be getting a better feel for the plant. Most people run plants many times. The last....hmm, 4! rounds I did were all the same cuts. A couple different strains, but each time I kept making adjustments. Each round, the plants looked better & better. That said, I could be totally wrong, I just never noticed more pistils (& I was looking). So it could be anything...it could be that whatever recipe/soil they are in now is working better for you than the hydro was. Soil is the nuts, I just find it to be a lot more work, & my health is not good enough to keep up with it.

If you've seen those pics Pimp T has been putting up, he has been running most of those plants for a while. He is dialed. I think the higher pistil production is just you getting better with the plant. It's not an easy crop to grow. You don't have to "master" tomatoes to grow good tomatoes. To grow really good cannabis, there is not a lot of room for error.

That stretch is a combination of things. First being monsters taken back to flower, they stretch more. I don't know why, but I've documented it. The second is the light strength & spectrum (in my opinion) There is def some light stretching going on there. I know you are just goofing around with the plants, figuring out what causes what...that's how we learn. But whoever was asking, that stretch is part of re-flowering a monster crop clone, & I think some extra because of the light. So now you know what light stretching looks like. I looked at your first plants & they didn't have that much stretch. By the way, for your first & second round, you are absolutely killing it brother. I've never seen anyone do that well with their very first plant. You got a knack for this.

Hmu about your light situation or room. I have access to a professional room designer, & some hints to help you get it right. I've done...7 rooms now. Which is not a lot, but I can tell you what pitfalls to avoid. I also have another suggestion for you on the lights. The largest factor noobs do not account for (imo) when building their room is size/coverage vs temps. I've seen a lot of people want really good coverage, so they get high powered lights, & a small, reflective room/area. Now they have constant temperature issues. Temps are one of THE most important aspects of growing good meds. Many people (not in this thread, but many) don't do the calculations ahead of time to see if they will run into heat issues. 85*/65 rh is great for veg, most plants will love it. I don't think it's a huge compromise of the final product. But you can't flower in that range & expect as good a result. & if people are running 85 right now, imagine the struggles in the summer.

Junk

Junk

you think flushing is just as important in soil? running organic in soil?
I agree 100% with what T said. That being said, the first few rounds I did was very organic. Teas, my own composted soil & nutes/dressings. I flushed some, & others I didn't. & I didn't really notice a difference. To the point where, in a blind test, I probably couldn't have told you which was which.

Once I moved to bottled nutes (being completely organic is a lot of work) I noticed the difference immediately. The stuff that wasn't flushed was harsh, made you cough. In hydro it's even worse if I don't flush.

But if you are not using bottled nutes, & truly organic, I have done it & not noticed a difference with flushing. But my palette might just suck.

One thing I keep trying to do is see if my flushing can get rid of the chlorophyll smell when drying. That's a lil side experiment I'm working on.

also I'm leaning towards the gavita pro equipment.... first company to make their own bulb to match their hood. that's something that sticks out to me... that they are the first to make their own bulb that matches their hood.. but thank you all for all your love and support!

Hmu, or I'll get you, whichever is first.

@Ned Kelly what do you mean a conversion metal halide?
It's a bulb that will work in your current ballast.

Junk

Junk

one you can fix repetitively and when the coil shorts out or something you cannot fix, you have a pile of copper to recycle

the other you cant really fix much on and when it fails it goes to a landfill, also you can get busted by the fuckin cable guy because of line interference.

@THCdurk ^^ x 2. Mags are cheaper too. If you are even the least bit handy, you can get kits for mags & build them yourself. HTG has them in fact. You can build like a 1k ballast for $100 or so. A digital is going to cost you at least twice that.

The mags run way hotter, so most people keep it outside of the space. Digi's you can have in the space, but I prefer to keep them out too because of the humidity. Digi's can often be dimmed, but I never use that feature personally. I want max light al the time.

I have two digitals & one mag right now, & I'm actually sorry I spent the money on the digitals. The mag I had from previous runs.

Oh, & the mags are also deceptively heavy, but I'm strong like bull.

Edit** If i recall correctly, mags also lengthen bulb life a little bit

sixstring

sixstring

Stumpy,

You gotta learn to tie a bitch down dude! (lol)

I'll cut a bitch. :opps:

I never noticed increased pistil production & I've taken monsters back to flower a few times. I think you might just be getting a better feel for the plant. Most people run plants many times. The last....hmm, 4! rounds I did were all the same cuts. A couple different strains, but each time I kept making adjustments. Each round, the plants looked better & better. That said, I could be totally wrong, I just never noticed more pistils (& I was looking). So it could be anything...it could be that whatever recipe/soil they are in now is working better for you than the hydro was. Soil is the nuts, I just find it to be a lot more work, & my health is not good enough to keep up with it.

If you've seen those pics Pimp T has been putting up, he has been running most of those plants for a while. He is dialed. I think the higher pistil production is just you getting better with the plant. It's not an easy crop to grow. You don't have to "master" tomatoes to grow good tomatoes. To grow really good cannabis, there is not a lot of room for error.

That stretch is a combination of things. First being monsters taken back to flower, they stretch more. I don't know why, but I've documented it. The second is the light strength & spectrum (in my opinion) There is def some light stretching going on there. I know you are just goofing around with the plants, figuring out what causes what...that's how we learn. But whoever was asking, that stretch is part of re-flowering a monster crop clone, & I think some extra because of the light. So now you know what light stretching looks like. I looked at your first plants & they didn't have that much stretch. By the way, for your first & second round, you are absolutely killing it brother. I've never seen anyone do that well with their very first plant. You got a knack for this.

Hmu about your light situation or room. I have access to a professional room designer, & some hints to help you get it right. I've done...7 rooms now. Which is not a lot, but I can tell you what pitfalls to avoid. I also have another suggestion for you on the lights. The largest factor noobs do not account for (imo) when building their room is size/coverage vs temps. I've seen a lot of people want really good coverage, so they get high powered lights, & a small, reflective room/area. Now they have constant temperature issues. Temps are one of THE most important aspects of growing good meds. Many people (not in this thread, but many) don't do the calculations ahead of time to see if they will run into heat issues. 85*/65 rh is great for veg, most plants will love it. I don't think it's a huge compromise of the final product. But you can't flower in that range & expect as good a result. & if people are running 85 right now, imagine the struggles in the summer.
i gotta disagree with your tomatoe theory lol.to people who like tomatoes theres is a big dif between a poorly grown one and a nice sweet plump tomatoe.plus we tend to not grow tomatoes indoors much.and we tent to just stick it in the dirt and water it once in a while,but with pot plants we tend to hoover over them too much and dump endless bloom boosters on it to make it better and alot of times it ends up creating problems.you bring a tomatoe indoors and use bottled nutes and hps and you will find out pretty quick you must be on your game in order to harvest enough food to cover the light bill.plus they are a major pm magnet indoors lol.i guess what im sayin is with a good strain and good soil,marijuana can be super simple to grow.my largest pot plants to date are still all outdoor stuff that was in great soil,where all i ever did was water 2 x a week and hit em with a lil kelp 2 x during august.thats it,my people went ape shit crazy over that stuff.

Junk

Junk

I'll say this not to be disagreeable but there is nothing wrong with vegging under hps. Seriously there isn't some major difference man. I've literally used everything and find plain mh to be very over rated veg wise. I wouldn't waste the money. In saying that if you do def go buy a lowes or Home Depot joint. Cheap as hell and work really well. But equal wattage hps or mh isn't going to be immensely different. Keep your hps a little closer if you can but it will veg really well for ya.

Preface:I think you know I'm never trying to be disagreeable with you, or anyone. I might disagree, but that's not my focus...

Given your above statement, I think maybe it's strain dependent. I've tried it twice before, & just because of current circumstances, I'm trying it now (don't have the cash to pick up another bulb) So I have 3 hoods. A Horti Blue on one end, an HPS in the middle, & the Home Depot MH on the other end.

I've had to rotate the plants around because the ones under the HPS get a long stretch. Exact same cut under the blue or mh & the node spacing is much tighter. The plant is considerably shorter (4" or so).

If you say it works just fine, you certainly know more than I do about it. I can actually attest to it working. The plants look great....they are just taller.

Now I'm wondering if for some reason it's light stretch? You said to keep the HPS a lil closer, mine is the same height as the other lights, so maybe that is the reason? Either way, it will grow the plant.

Also, I'm currently running an MH bulb from Home Depot based on T's suggestion. It was very cheap, & it works very well. I think I'll stick with Horti for my other bulbs, but their MH....I got no complaints.

BlackSheepOG

BlackSheepOG

i gotta disagree with your tomatoe theory lol.to people who like tomatoes theres is a big dif between a poorly grown one and a nice sweet plump tomatoe.plus we tend to not grow tomatoes indoors much.and we tent to just stick it in the dirt and water it once in a while,but with pot plants we tend to hoover over them too much and dump endless bloom boosters on it to make it better and alot of times it ends up creating problems.you bring a tomatoe indoors and use bottled nutes and hps and you will find out pretty quick you must be on your game in order to harvest enough food to cover the light bill.plus they are a major pm magnet indoors lol.i guess what im sayin is with a good strain and good soil,marijuana can be super simple to grow.my largest pot plants to date are still all outdoor stuff that was in great soil,where all i ever did was water 2 x a week and hit em with a lil kelp 2 x during august.thats it,my people went ape shit crazy over that stuff.

Damn I was just bout to say something bout tomatoes! There's a huge diff! I love to garden and I love BLTs even more! Gardening with my grandma is what got me into pot growing lol. Probably the reason I got 2 20x40 gardens with raised beds lol.

Top Bottom