To Vert or not to Vert?

• Thread starter LordOfThNugz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I did a search on here and didn't find a vert information thread. I have found that wisdom is in the counsel of many. If there is a thread of such, someone please point me that direction. If there is not..... Well, I guess I 'll start one up.

VERT 101

There are many growers that prefer vertical to horizontal growing. There are many reasons for this. Just to start off I will throw up some pics to illustrate some of these ideas and possible benefits when Vertical systems are properly implemented and built....

I will be borrowing from the web as a source for this information. I would assume that anyone that has posted some of these systems elsewhere has shared their knowledge for the benefit of the Movement and Mankind as a whole; however, if that is an incorrect assumption and you wish for your systems picture to be removed, please PM me and I will take it down ASAP.

Green Peace friends!

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

User45118 pic490852 1285017421
User45118 pic490844 1285017368
User67 pic321 1242645673
User67 pic64 1232280697

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

One of my favorite benefits for vertical setups is the removal of reflectors. This leads to less trapped heat, more even light distribution, and less initial cost. It also helps to make airflow, ventilation, and cooling more streamlined.

That's all I have time for right now. Feel free to add theories, experiences, and questions and pictures either FOR or AGAINST Vertical growing.

Green Peace friends and as always, stay civil please!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Always wanted to change my rooms to vertical growing. I think it would take up allot less space. Unfortunately, I was sure that converting would result in an entirely new learning curve, which, at this point is impractical.

Bo0m

Bo0m

#TempleOfBoomMagikBeanCo
Supporter
It looks difficult to maintain. Hows it compare? Maintaince wise.

J

Jalisco Kid

I use vert lighting for trees . I grew trees because of the number game. I see some heath inspires sys there. I prefer my plants growing straight up if I was going to do massive number. So I would run 6" pvc 20' and tier it 3 high as an aero unit. JK

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I use vert lighting for trees . I grew trees because of the number game. I see some heath inspires sys there. I prefer my plants growing straight up if I was going to do massive number. So I would run 6" pvc 20' and tier it 3 high as an aero unit. JK

When I was still in Texas my grower friend tried it with Aero like that and always had problems dialing in RH--- but that was down in Houston where the air is thicker than a snicker.

I had a few runs experimenting with shelves where they grew straight up and down. I found that it was a lot of work training everything to the trellis to get the budsites the most light. If they are tilted --- not too much, but tilted forward it is easier to create a more even canopy.

I am designing and building a rack system that will be unveiled as soon as it is tinkered with and operational.

I do not think that the plant # in the octagon is practical either. When lowering the plant number you cannot have just a SOG anymore either or there will be wasted light. When faced with having to grow them bigger they start growing into each other in the corners. This made the 8 sides unnecessary. I have designed and am building a system that is 4 sides of 3 shelves top to bottom with 4 medium bushes per shelf grown into a scrog. With the four sides they do not compete in the corners any more.

As far as maintenance, It was not too difficult at all on my last shelf setup. I had 3 walls with the shelves and had a 2 shelf rack on casters for the fourth wall that could roll out of the way. The bulbs were on a small pully system to raise them out of the way to work on the plants, when done working on them I just lowered the lights back down into place.

As far as Heath Robinson-- yes, pioneer in the field. Mad respect.

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

Always wanted to change my rooms to vertical growing. I think it would take up allot less space. Unfortunately, I was sure that converting would result in an entirely new learning curve, which, at this point is impractical.

I thought it was going to be hard to convert, But once you have a system set in place and adjust it as you learn to dial it in, it is much better in my experience. I never have to worry about yield if for nothing else just the number of plants that are receiving care. Numbers dictate yield more than anything else. Once you work your system though, it is MORE practical because you yield more per watt, hence better efficiency.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I thought it was going to be hard to convert, But once you have a system set in place and adjust it as you learn to dial it in, it is much better in my experience. I never have to worry about yield if for nothing else just the number of plants that are receiving care. Numbers dictate yield more than anything else. Once you work your system though, it is MORE practical because you yield more per watt, hence better efficiency.

You can say without a doubt in your mind that vertical growing will yield more?

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

I would assume using both sides of the bulb would create 2x as much yield. Anyone took a lumen meter to see what the dropoff rate is on a vertically unreflected bulb compared to a horizontally reflected hood? I'd imagine that's all it would take to answer that question wouldn't it?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I like 9 verts and 12 trees. The 4 corners of the room are reserved for equipment.

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

You can say without a doubt in your mind that vertical growing will yield more?

I am saying that through years of growing the only thing that had ever yielded more gpw than vert is vert trees with months of vegging, in MY EXPERIENCE. With a vertical system and higher plant numbers there is MUCH less overall veg time and nutrients dedicated toward the veg structure, and in my experience is the most efficient way I have been able to implement to date as far as overall cost and time compared to smokeable dank flower yield.

I am limited as every grower is to only my personal experience, which is always developing. Vert is the only way I have been able to get close to the 1 gpw threshhold. I believe that my rack system should do better than 1gpw of keeper nugz once dialed in and monocropped after mother selection.

Your experience may lead you to a better way or may have already, so I cannot say without a doubt that vert will yield more..

Peace!

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I would assume using both sides of the bulb would create 2x as much yield. Anyone took a lumen meter to see what the dropoff rate is on a vertically unreflected bulb compared to a horizontally reflected hood? I'd imagine that's all it would take to answer that question wouldn't it?

You are using the entire circumference of the bulb and it's output.

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I like 9 verts and 12 trees. The 4 corners of the room are reserved for equipment.

Nice! I keep my equip in the corners too with an angled reflectix flap to hide it and reflect closer than the empty corner. Helps with a top and bottom vortex to happen with fan positioning too. With an upfaced fan under the bulbs. Makes temps easy as hell and cheaper to dial in too with no heat gathering in a bulky reflector.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

What is the standard plant height a vert tree grower would shoot for with 1 rows of bulbs? I'm guessing double stacked would be 7'+ canopy?

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

What is the standard plant height a vert tree grower would shoot for with 1 rows of bulbs? I'm guessing double stacked would be 7'+ canopy?

I have not done that so I am not sure. When I did trees i had 4 x 2 stacked and vegged and flowered in the same room cause that was all of my lights I had at the time. I had to veg those for 3 months and yes they ended up about 6 1/2 " tall bushes. I didnt like all the time spent on vegging though. I'd rather grow flowers than a gigantic flower support system. Now I veg for 4 weeks in veg chamber, topped once after 5th or 6th node. Put them in the rack for one week under 24hr light, flip to 12/12 train the tops to trellis squares exposed to light. 2nd week in flower, take the next round of clones from the ones that didn't fill into a trellis spot. Put the clones in with the other vegging clones and or mothers after they root. Cycle cycle cycle.

Top Bottom