Too dry?

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

If you're supposed to wait until the stem in the middle of the bud snaps then wouldn't that mean that the bud is completely dried out? Is that the only way to store cannabis in jars? It always gets harsh tasting when it's dry.

S

SweetIndica2

The Curing Proccess should start before they are able to snap. Infact the snap is when you know they are done curing. And there are a few different types of snaps, it's sort of hard to describe but there is still probably a very tiny amount of moisture in the bud somewhere. With practice you will get the snap feel down and know exactly when they are done curing.

C

CheebaMonkey

so you put them in jars before the stem snaps? But if they are in jars they won't dry out so how would the stem crack after curing?

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

When in jars the moisture in the plant fiber disspearses into the air inside the jar. Then by burpping you allow moisture out of jar till it slowly goes down.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Just make sure you air out the jars and turn the bud once a day if it is still not bone dry.

JH420

JH420

What do you do if you waited too long? Like when the stem snaps you jar them but they're more dry than you planned/hoped they'd be.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Take a hot shower. Seriously. Put your crispy buds on an open tray and get your bathroom steamy. The buds will soak it up. Good luck!

CC :ridinghorse:

JH420

JH420

How long you keep em in there for? I'm not sure I can get my bathroom very steamy...any other techniques to re-hydrate?

D

d420

Premium Member
Supporter
dj short says you can add a some fresh leaves or some lettuce leaves in a bag for an hour or so.... he also says by doing this you will weaken the potency and flavor..

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

How long you keep em in there for? I'm not sure I can get my bathroom very steamy...any other techniques to re-hydrate?

Depends on how dry and dense they are. Just keep checking and turning them until they're where you want them and don't let them get overly damp.

Gotta give credit where it's due. This is not my technique. IllegalSeed on another forum gave me this tip and it worked great for us.

We have a large bathroom so we run hot water in the shower, turn it off, put the buds in the shower and keep it closed. We check them every few minutes.

If you have some fresh buds you can put those in with the crispies and they'll pull the moisture from the fresh buds.

No matter what method you use, I'm sure you probably already know, keep an eye out for mold. :-)

Best...

CC

G

grow4food

:hi:
I have used orange peels, bread and lettuce to add moisture with stuff got too dry. The lettuce worked best for me. I store my product in gallon glass jars that hold close to 1/4 lb. I take 2 or 3 of the large outside leaves from a head of lettuce and put them in the jar for 2 - 3 hours with the lid on. Has work well for me.

S

scoobydoo

I dont know why people who grow use bread, orange peels and lettuce to add moisture. Next time you chop a big branch just throw it in the freezer, cut off a inch or two as needed and toss them in the jar. Why add anything other then what you want to the mix? Ive also had good luck throwing the jar in the freezer for half a hour then pulling it out and leaving the top off so moisture can condense on the walls, then I seal up the jar and the buds take it all in.

JH420

JH420

The lettuce idea worked great! I like Scooby's idea of puttin the jars in the freezer to let condensation build-up, I'll try that as well. The Boveda packs look promising too.

5tickynubz

Drying is the most importent part of growing IMO as you can ruin months of hard work. With that being said, I've found you really have to figure out what works best for your situation and enviroment. For me 2-3 days hanging then to brown bags for maybe 3-5 days, then to jars burping often for the first week and less frequently there after.
I've also heard good things about those boveda packs.

T

THC Toker

I like to take of the fan leaves when I harvest, it is then hung to dry for 2 to 3 days to remove some of the moisture. At this point I trim the buds but still leave them on the stalks. The trim goes on a big flat cardboard box with a fan over it to dry off. The buds are left to hang in a dark room until the stem just about snaps, they are then removed from the stems and bagged or jarred up for curing and storing.

H

HolyMunchies

I had some old buds from an outdoor grow that had COMPLETELY dried to a near touch and crumble level of dry. I have tried lettuce and shower which works fine if theres still some moisture in there but if your bone dry and need to re hydrate I was able to get them to a completely fresh state again.

I put two humidifiers in a small closet on high ran the temp at around 60 degrees about 80% humidity in there and they went back to a completely fresh state.

St3ve

St3ve

As for the stems, they are thinner than the bud so they dry out first. Usually the smaller stems snap first, then the larger ones, then the bud is too dry. I usually aim for right then.. when the smaller ones are snapping, and the larger ones are still bending. By that time the buds usually feel dry on the outside.

As for getting a little moisture back into the buds? I have a little tiny jar, probably 1" in diameter and 3" tall. I will put a small amount of water in the jar, like 1/8 to 1/4" and then place it in the curing container. Come back after a day and the water is magically gone from the jar. If it needs more, I add more but usually thats enough to get a little "bounce" back into the buds.

I don't like using lettuce or rinds because if I forget about it for a little too long it tends to get stinky and messes up the smell of the nice bud.

Top Bottom