too late to start seeds for indoor to outdoor grow in the northeast?

• Thread starter prop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

prop

in the suburbs of nyc . daytime temps steady mid 50`s to 60 plus. i have a germination kit from amazon and also a light stand with full spectrum adjustable lights. i have some seedlings now that i germinated mid april and transplanted to bigger pots.last week and they seemed to have stalled in growth.i have lights on 16 hours. the seeds were from a herme i had last year. i`m thinking of ordering some more seeds and don`t know if it1s too late to start. appreciate any help .thanks

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Not too late, but you better get some quality seeds asap.

Cooler temps could cause mold and bud rot going into october, you already have cooler temps to begin with though so that could be an issue.

l just edited in some photos from my friends balcony last season.

Chronological order, first 2 pics are from October 8th and the plants were growing all season to get to that size.
The rest of the pics range from October 20th, and then at the end around November 9th.

We were losing some buds because the wind and cold was so much, and the first day it really rained, thats when we saw a bit of bud rot on a couple of the tops so decided to take it down.

Strain was White Widow, and the ones that were more in the shaded less windy area developped small colas but more finished buds.

Little nug from the fruit loops smelling plants, all the plants were the same strain, but the ones on the table that got a lot of wind and more intest like decided not to flower as quick.

I'll try to post a small video of how windy it was getting.

20221003 181556
20221003 181607
20221011 150326
20221011 150351
20221018 174901
20221018 174905
20221021 093149
20221102 130131
20221109 133912
Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Not really, no......of course, depending on how long it would take to order/receive/pop seeds, you might miss that "head start", but unless there's an unusually early fall freeze, or you're looking do do sativas you should be just fine. It may affect how big they'll end up being more than how they finish. Seedlings take a while to get rolling, especially in cooler weather, and transplanting will often give a little pause until they establish........after these bits of time they should catch up and take off....

Last edited:
ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Not really, no......of course, depending on how long it would take to order/receive/pop seeds, you might miss that "head start", but unless there's an unusually early fall freeze, or you're looking do do sativas you should be just fine. It may affect how big they'll end up being more than how they finish. Seedlings take a while to get rolling, especially in coolet weather, and transplanting will often give a little pause until they establish........after these bits of time they should catch up and take off....
There is for sure time to get seeds and have plants grow and finish out by late october. Results will be mediocre, but pruning and getting rid of bottom buts can help some nice colas develop a bit quicker.

The strain I posted is an 8 week strain, and it wasn't able to make it through the last 2 weeks we wanted, got too cold, windy, and damp.

It rained a few times only during the course of the grow, but when it did, things started to come apart quite quickly.

Hope this helps, let's git it!!!

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
There is for sure time to get seeds and have plants grow and finish out by late october. Results will be mediocre, but pruning and getting rid of bottom buts can help some nice colas develop a bit quicker.

The strain I posted is an 8 week strain, and it wasn't able to make it through the last 2 weeks we wanted, got too cold, windy, and damp.

It rained a few times only during the course of the grow, but when it did, things started to come apart quite quickly.

I have some ideas to extend the outdoor season......even if only by a few weeks.....

Makeshift "umbrellas" to shield plants from late season rains, and placing a couple of heat guns near them.......both for drying after rains, and to combat cold, high humidity days, but also to get the temp up a few degrees when it dips below freezing.......if I can harvest Oct 20th instead of Oct 1st, it could make all the difference. If late season luck is on my side, and I can stretch it to Nov 1st +.......I could even get some ripe sativas.....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Sounds on par with the balcony grow here, these guys grew through june and july when they were smaller.
Our house is way up north, not far from Canada.....and 1500ft in elevation. Last year I put 8" plants outdoors in late June and they ripened fine. They were just 3ft tall instead of 5ft+. Of course, it was an unusually warm/late fall. Harvesting Nov 1st is almost unheard of.

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

I have some ideas to extend the outdoor season......even if only by a few weeks.....

Makeshift "umbrellas" to shield plants from late season rains, and placing a couple of heat guns near them.......both for drying after rains, and to combat cold, high humidity days, but also to get the temp up a few degrees when it dips below freezing.......if I can harvest Oct 20th instead of Oct 1st, it could make all the difference. If late season luck is on my side, and I can stretch it to Nov 1st +.......I could even get some ripe sativas.....
Yeah you need some cover, these ones were under the cover of the blacony above. The best smells and best structure came from the ones on the right, that didnt get pelted with such intese winds. Those ones smelt like shwag, but they are all the same cut... Fruit Loops.... SHWAG... lol. Those were the smells.

What's also odd is that the ones that got the heavy winds, had more light as well, but the buds just framed larger, but wouldn't fill in.

The ones with less instense light and less windy conditions had me feeling indoor vibes! Less stress, less hardy growth.

Just a shame the cold winds cause some top buds to just bud rot from the inside out. No bug issues what so ever on these outdoors.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah you need some cover, these ones were under the cover of the blacony above. The best smells and best structure came from the ones on the right, that didnt get pelted with such intese winds. Those ones smelt like shwag, but they are all the same cut... Fruit Loops.... SHWAG... lol. Those were the smells.

What's also odd is that the ones that got the heavy winds, had more light as well, but the buds just framed larger, but wouldn't fill in.

The ones with less instense light and less windy conditions had me feeling indoor vibes! Less stress, less hardy growth.

Just a shame the cold winds cause some top buds to just bud rot from the inside out. No bug issues what so ever on these outdoors.
We also have an apartment in New York City, with a balcony. In the 80s I grew in a back bedroom closet, but I've grown a few late/short ones on the balcony. They finished around 2ft tall, and I've done seeds from "mids" that ended up being nice, spicy Mexican.......pretty good resin too. But I was able to harvest in November because especially over the last 20yrs we don't get early freezes much. Even if the law does briefly hit 30, they do just fine. It even stays a couple of degrees warmer than the official temp forecast because brick buildings will absorb sun/heat......

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

Anything you can do to get another week, two weeks......protect from late rains, keep them a few degrees warmer.......it all depends on your situation. You can't run heat guns on a balcony, or make plant umbrellas if you have a dozen 10ft bushes......but lots of things are worth a try. What's more important/meaningful than the last month? At least try to keep them drier and warmer, of ot doesn't extend them, ot could at least save them from damage.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

Now that's a balcony..... ;). I assume you have the ones around the rail tied up well? For the wind......but maybe bigger pots from more root space? They look good. In our building lots of apartments can see each other, plus, even though it's basically legal, our building management wouldn't have that much of a sense of humor. I'm expecting a letter to go around at some point laying out the rules.......in other words, no, you can't grow weed.......although they may be ok with a little bit, discreet......they can make a better case not to allow indoors for a few reasons.

But as long as eyes aren't an issue, your building is ok with it (depending on what kind of building, who the managrment is, etc.). and of course, where you are? (Is this last season? I think you said you were outside nyc? Unless that was someone else.....)

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Our house is way up north, not far from Canada.....and 1500ft in elevation. Last year I put 8" plants outdoors in late June and they ripened fine. They were just 3ft tall instead of 5ft+. Of course, it was an unusually warm/late fall. Harvesting Nov 1st is almost unheard of.
You know we don’t live in igloos and have the same growing season?

Most people wait for the Victoria Day, May 24th, long weekend for any big outdoor planting.

I have veggies and a 3’ clone waiting to get outside but the weather has been uncooperative.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You know we don’t live in igloos and have the same growing season?

Most people wait for the Victoria Day, May 24th, long weekend for any big outdoor planting.

I have veggies and a 3’ clone waiting to get outside but the weather has been uncooperative.
Wellif course I do......of course, "near Canada" could be different depending on where along the (very long) border. But I say that because there's a big difference between "New York" Staten Island, and New York Niagra falls, or the Northern Adirondacks.......

In Southern NY you could check the forecast around April 1st - 10th, and if there's no freezes coming, most likely you'll be ok planting outdoors. That doesn't mean they'll go crazy the first few weeks, but especially if you get a head start, they'll do fine. Probably...

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Now that's a balcony..... ;). I assume you have the ones around the rail tied up well? For the wind......but maybe bigger pots from more root space? They look good. In our building lots of apartments can see each other, plus, even though it's basically legal, our building management wouldn't have that much of a sense of humor. I'm expecting a letter to go around at some point laying out the rules.......in other words, no, you can't grow weed.......although they may be ok with a little bit, discreet......they can make a better case not to allow indoors for a few reasons.

But as long as eyes aren't an issue, your building is ok with it (depending on what kind of building, who the managrment is, etc.). and of course, where you are? (Is this last season? I think you said you were outside nyc? Unless that was someone else.....)
Lol, those 4 plants on the table almost flew off the balcony like 15 times before I said "that's it, I'm coming over to water your plants!". When they were well watered the pots were too heavy for the plants to tip.

Some issues with downstairs neighbor. Some runoff dripped down on to the 2nd floor neighbors garden plants and picnic table. They left some notes on the door and made a complaint, but the landlord was not even interested in seeing for himself so the issue went away once we replaced the broken saucer.

A few people would watch us on the balcony tend to the plants, but no mean looks!

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Wellif course I do......of course, "near Canada" could be different depending on where along the (very long) border. But I say that because there's a big difference between "New York" Staten Island, and New York Niagra falls, or the Northern Adirondacks.......

In Southern NY you could check the forecast around April 1st - 10th, and if there's no freezes coming, most likely you'll be ok planting outdoors. That doesn't mean they'll go crazy the first few weeks, but especially if you get a head start, they'll do fine. Probably...
Just mucking with you. I’ve seen cherry blossoms when I worked down in US a month before ours are ready. Then I return home to snow.

Garden seeds I start popping late March to early April on good years, late April to early May otherwise.

Then we wait for Mother Nature...

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

My thinking is there are two main factors. One factor is overnight low temperatures should be 50F or higher. The other factor is the duration of darkness should be roughly similar from the tent to the outside.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I disagree! I think the duration of lightness should be roughly similar!

Top Bottom