too late to start seeds for indoor to outdoor grow in the northeast?

• Thread starter prop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t agree with that whole premise. I’m perfectly comfortable taking a vegging plant from 18 six or 16 eight and putting it out in 14+ sunlight. Not perfectly comfortable putting it out in 12 or 13 hours sunlight.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I don’t agree with that whole premise. I’m perfectly comfortable taking a vegging plant from 18 six or 16 eight and putting it out in 14+ sunlight. Not perfectly comfortable putting it out in 12 or 13 hours sunlight.
I recently read that it is the length of uninterrupted darkness that is critical to floral development.

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’ll except that! Too many hours of uninterrupted darkness can cause your plants to flower about three months too early.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I’ll except that! Too many hours of uninterrupted darkness can cause your plants to flower about three months too early.
I agree. Going from 18/6 in the tent to 12/12 outside at the equinoxes, for example, would be much too soon. I wonder whether it would be best to move plants from the tent to the outside near the summer solstice (June 21st), at which time there are about 16 hours of sunlight and 8 hours of darkness. That is at 48° N latitude. That would allow three months for additional vegetation till the 12-hour nights begin.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Lol, those 4 plants on the table almost flew off the balcony like 15 times before I said "that's it, I'm coming over to water your plants!". When they were well watered the pots were too heavy for the plants to tip.

Some issues with downstairs neighbor. Some runoff dripped down on to the 2nd floor neighbors garden plants and picnic table. They left some notes on the door and made a complaint, but the landlord was not even interested in seeing for himself so the issue went away once we replaced the broken saucer.

A few people would watch us on the balcony tend to the plants, but no mean looks!
Oh you would have loved the 80s-90s.......they'd be up there, calling the cops.....

We live in much better times. Still, don't drip on neighbors. ;) . But nice balcony. I guess I'd go for larger pots, maybe tie them down a bit too.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Just mucking with you. I’ve seen cherry blossoms when I worked down in US a month before ours are ready. Then I return home to snow.

Garden seeds I start popping late March to early April on good years, late April to early May otherwise.

Then we wait for Mother Nature...
All good. Yeah, it's time for us to get things in the ground.....

Top Bottom