Too Many Roots In A 6 Gallon Smart Pot? Help!

• Thread starter Greenshark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Since you said that they are bushy it is probably safe to assume you didn’t clean up the extra side branches coming off the main stalks?
I would typically clean up the extra growth that won’t produce anything but airy flowers a week before the flip so they can heal before the flip.
It is ok, just wait till the end of week 2 otherwise you can be promoting vertical growth. Don’t want that with 5 foot tall plants unless you have high ceilings.

So at the end of week 2 strip them. Leave the fan leaves on like you would when you do your original cleanup a week before flower.
Cut all the side branches off at least 1/3 the way up from the bottom.
Also do that in the center of the plant. There is going to be a lot of small “useless” branches in there too.
Might be unnerving the first time seeing 1/3 of your plant on the ground but you will be promoting growth to the tops.
Cut the side branch that comes off the back of the main branches too. You will see what I’m talking about. At the edges of the plants there is that branch that comes off the backside and it trying to catch up to the top of that branch and it never does so ditch it and let the tops flourish.
Good luck and make sure to water the same time everyday with at least 10% runoff. Vacuum the extra water out of the trays so you don’t have standing water, it will promote bacteria, bugs, and molds.

G

Greenshark

Since you said that they are bushy it is probably safe to assume you didn’t clean up the extra side branches coming off the main stalks?
I would typically clean up the extra growth that won’t produce anything but airy flowers a week before the flip so they can heal before the flip.
It is ok, just wait till the end of week 2 otherwise you can be promoting vertical growth. Don’t want that with 5 foot tall plants unless you have high ceilings.

So at the end of week 2 strip them. Leave the fan leaves on like you would when you do your original cleanup a week before flower.
Also do that in the center of the plant. There is going to be a lot of small “useless” branches in there too.
Might be unnerving the first time seeing 1/3 of your plant on the ground but you will be promoting growth to the tops.
Cut the side branch that comes off the back of the main branches too. You will see what I’m talking about. At the edges of the plants there is that branch that comes off the backside and it trying to catch up to the top of that branch and it never does so ditch it and let the tops flourish.
Good luck and make sure to water the same time everyday with at least 10% runoff. Vacuum the extra water out of the trays so you don’t have standing water, it will promote bacteria, bugs, and molds.

It's funny you should say that and I was about to put a post up!

They are on day 8 of flower and they're stretching to high heaven ruining my lovely hard worked on canopy! They are literally growing too fast vertical......

My normal procedure is exactly as you mentioned down to the tee but I didn't lollipop this time before flower as I kept them under control while they were growing. My question is, is it worth doing it tomorrow ( day 9 ) to stress them out a bit to stop them stretching? I have lightly pinched all the top colas ( there are hundreds ) to stunt them a bit but i really want to lollipop tomorrow. Will that have a detrimental effect if I don't wait till day 14? I just need to stop this vertical growth. I did so well keeping and even cannopy and this is pissing me off lol.

G

Greenshark

IMG 1930
P

Pass2TheLeft

If you lolly pop them now it will slow down growth and miss out on double harvesting your plants and get less overall yield

G

Greenshark

If you lolly pop them now it will slow down growth and miss out on double harvesting your plants and get less overall yield

Double harvesting? You mean the nodes stacking up? When do the nodes actually stop stacking and go in to full flower mode? I'm worried they may be too big in height....

P

Pass2TheLeft

No bro harvest can go on for several weeks if u do it right remove only ready buds after 1st flush then weak pk feed in a few days the rest start to solid up and repeat process

P

Pass2TheLeft

Hence to say ill go back to lurking but i used to lollypop plants many years ago then tryied double harvests and got a lot more indoors i harvest over a 2 week period and upto 8 weeks outdoors and have had a huge gain in overall yield

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
the roots on top are from your plug you grew them in,my clones do this every time i use the plugs,you will be adding medium and thinking your stuff is just washing off,while in turn the plant is growing out of the pot,thing about root bound is that when it is,the little feeder roots are all that will grow,that ball is still there,and roots have firmed up were you just cant dip in water and help get the mess apart,no my question to you is,i thought them smart pots air pruned the roots,do they not?
you didnt mention nutrients use,im asuming your ready to flip,you gonna have massive plants after stretch,but me i still feed n for first 2 weeks while stretch going then focus more on p and k side of values,during that 2 weeks i also run my MH bulb then when i change bulbs i change feed,,anyway hope you got a full size room to grow um,i really would like to see you do so,im restricted to a 2x4x6 tent right now,so 1 gal pots and max after stretch im at 2 1/2 foot tall at harvest hahah,so i have to grow more,if you do decide to give a bit more nitrogen dont go overboard,then you will lock something else out,they look healthy to me,that slight yellow will clear up,you gonna put them in the dark for 48 hrs before flip? if so when them lights come back on all your top new growth will look like that,at least mine do,after a few days they straighten up,good luck sorry couldnt help just saying how i do it
Great idea. I have been running mh for the 1st 1-3 weeks after flip strain dependent and have found it helps with stretch. Then like you said I change nute values and bulbs to hps well after flip. It works for me.!!!!

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Lollipop them now and chop what is in danger of light burn. If you have to hedge trim the whole top, the plants will be fine. Personally I’d level the top, not look back and don’t veg for so long next time. You will get a better quality end product.

G

Greenshark

Lollipop them now and chop what is in danger of light burn. If you have to hedge trim the whole top, the plants will be fine. Personally I’d level the top, not look back and don’t veg for so long next time. You will get a better quality end product.

Thanks for all your help mate. I needed to slow them down so I lollipopped now instead of Day 14 ( did it last night ) I have lolliopped many times before. I take off much more than 1/3. You won't like this but I had no choice but to buy some fruit machine. It stops vertical growth instantly. I know it's a pgr and I'm only running it will the end of week 3 then I'm going to do a 100 litre flush through each plant. I'm confident about this method but I didn't want to use a pgr :(

IMG 1938
G

Greenshark

^ 40 litre pots so 100 litres through each should be sufficient.

Latest posts

Top Bottom