too much stretch/what to do

• Thread starter click80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

Okay,
Im Growing Big Buddha Cheese in 3x6 flood tables, 30 gallon res, clones rooted in rrooters then into rwool.

Nutes are Technaflora, Recipe for success, with silica blast (1/2 tsp-gal), Roots Excel.

I just started co2 at 1000ppm when i flipped them 5 days ago. After Flip i experienced the normal first stretch but it kept going. I will put some pics in this post and the rest in my photo album. Been awhile since i did it so i will edit post if i have to do something different.

I am running 3 flood cycles a day right now, i did try what STG people said w/5 min flood every hour, def did not work, massive droop.

Everything was fine until i had to fly home.. Edit ( i should say this is while they were just out of the dome from cloning, my friend fim'd them at the point when they have gotten good roots and I had them in 3.5 rockwool cubes and I had to fly home. He said that they started to really jump. So he pinched all Fifty clones!) Edit

My friend who watched them fim'd them because he thought they were stretching. I have been growing clones off this mom for over a year and NO problem, i always get little christmas trees. Look in my photo album from a grow last year. So anyway i thought it would be fine, so instead of the regular main cola i grow i thought it would be interesting to see how multiple tops did on my BBC.

So as soon as i flipped, i started co2, and these things started their stretch but i am getting HUGE distance between nodes. I dont give a shit what caused it, I need advice on damage control. I have a lot of little spindly shit at bottom, should i cut it out? Also after looking at pics you can see that some of the branches stretched right up to top of canopy with hardly any nodes between meristem and top of shoot. Should I trim what few shoots the branch has and just leave the bud that is at top of Canopy? Is it going to hurt the plant pruning off branches at this point. The stretch seems to be over but dammit, they were growing 2" at least a day. I have very good roots going, color is good. I foliar feed with Thrive Alive every 7 days.

Okay pics....I am prob going to start a journal since i just started this new place...so you can get an overall idea as to what it looks like if you want. I just want to know the best thing to do to make sure i dont end up with a bunch of loose popcorn nugs.

Edit ( one table is under 1000s, the other 600s, got digilux in all, 1000s are lumatek, the 600s are phantoms. I have the big commercial 8 air pump with 2 12" airstones in each res. The res is in sep room at 68 degrees.)Edit
0601010902a.jpg
0601010847a.jpg
0528012209.jpg

0603010724.jpg
0603010720.jpg
0603010719.jpg
0603010718.jpg
0603010717.jpg
0603010714.jpg
0603010713a.jpg
0603010713.jpg
0603010712.jpg

D

dank_

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

It sux

That has happened to me many times. If it happens again, I will prune if I'm =<~14days flowering.

Now how exactly I'd prune is:

I'd cut many shoots at the stem near the base of the plant.
For the rest, I would prune the nodes off each branch.

I will probably get a lighter yeild, but they'll all be good sized flowers, instead of 75% popcorn buds.

That is all I can help. Have fun

click80

click80

big thanx

Thanks man, thats what i was thnking. Feels good to have back up opinions. All sorts of shit went through my head, like maybe try Gravity, but that would probably way complicate things.

So anyway, yes i kinda subscribe to the thinking that if you have everything dialed in, genetics is the rest. I will get overall less yield, but i will still have the nugs that my BBC gives me that i love.

thanks

I am adding pics to the grow room album now.

M

MIway

Oh man... garbage bags of trim... what will feel to be shameful amounts of shoots goin in da bin... ;-))

Has to be done though... no doubt. I'd suggest to not get too picky & start slashing... thinning it out to the strongest of shoots & balancing out the canopy...

click80

click80

thanx

Oh man... garbage bags of trim... what will feel to be shameful amounts of shoots goin in da bin... ;-))

Has to be done though... no doubt. I'd suggest to not get too picky & start slashing... thinning it out to the strongest of shoots & balancing out the canopy...

Yeah I know...when i had to trim my mom's back, another time i had to have someone look after my stuff when i had a family emergency back home, anyway, got back and the tops of my BEAUTIFUL, DEPENDABLE, BBCs were covered in webs, and I mean covered, literally....god i feel like crying again. But the big lollipopped moms that are in my grow room album, were on the verge of death, so I had to clean, spray, baby, nurse, prune, prune, and it was painful to say the least. My Deathstar has never really fully recovered. But i have new moms from both anyway...

So, yeah, I could tell from day two there was gonna be a problem. Thats why im keeping the co2 at just 1000....by the way, i got a hydrogen pro burner, and that thing is so awesome...i doing it drain to waste on house water. Where i live the water never gets over 58 degrees. So i can turn that thing on high, 45 cubic feet an hour...and i think it is close to that. But it would be a bitch cooling that thing with a chiller. I dont believe it removes 86 percent of the heat. It works for me though.

So anyway, as you can tell by this long ass reply im procrastinating. Lights are on in 45 minutes....sigh...

D

dank_

Supercropping is a nice technique, you might wanna do that to keep them from stretching further.

click80

click80

hmmm

Supercropping is a nice technique, you might wanna do that to keep them from stretching further.

shit...didn't even think of that...i think it's a good idea with someone more familiar with the technique...the past two years has not allowed me the time to try many different techniques. I know what it is, but i also know the inexperienced can screw a grow up using it during flowering. I have finally gotten all my equipment and i have to play it safe. But thank you very much for the advice. I have never had plants bush out and stretch so much. Especially this strain of BBC. I have always had what looked like a little xmas tree farm at yank time....damn i am tempted though...lol

click80

click80

I do kinda wonder what caused it

I wonder what did this also? I have never had this problem before. Could it have been because they were fim'ed? I have done nothing different this time. I hardened off the same as always, the only thing different is I have 2 1000 watt lights on one table and i usually use 600s, but the table with 600s stretched also. Hmmm.....

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
super cropping and trimming the bottoms and inside shoots like somebody mentioned

all those bottom branches touching makes the plant want to get taller

its not gravity your thinking its bushmaster

gravity is for bud density

click80

click80

super cropping and trimming the bottoms and inside shoots like somebody mentioned

all those bottom branches touching makes the plant want to get taller

its not gravity your thinking its bushmaster

gravity is for bud density

Oh, that was off the top of my head. I thought i had read a thread that said they had tried gravity and it was supposed to stop any growth except for buds. Yeah, I even had the company wrong, I was thinking H and G....I have kept pretty much to basics, but i do read a lot, I have found the nutrient circus confusing so I got out my biology books, and ordered some Botany andf Plant Physiology books. I would rather know about how they grow than start playing around with nutrients.

Yeah, that is the shade response isn't it. I was just reading when i your post popped up. I had started reading about the pf, pfr hormonal level responses a while back, but then had to put everything down to move and build this new place. I think i remember reading that the detect shading on leaves by differing levels of the ratio between those hormones and the makes them put energy into cell elongation? I'm sure I got most of that wrong, but I do get the gist of it. I am taking it real slow on the clipping. I don't know if it will shock them or not. I don't want to get too tired either and take off too much, so I am doing a little and taking a break.

Thank you for your response. I was a worried about this earlier, I normally do not let myself get excited as this plant and especially the genetics I have are very forgiving if you dont get stupid and try too many things at once. I am sure I will get a good grow. I definitely LOVE this Sure to Grow. Expensive but I have not had to use PH up or down once. So far anyway. I have amazing roots.

thanks for your response, it is appreciated.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol well hell you know more about it then me it seems

really it all looks good - you just need to do some pruning to get bigger buds - do you room to move the lights up?

click80

click80

lol well hell you know more about it then me it seems

really it all looks good - you just need to do some pruning to get bigger buds - do you room to move the lights up?

Yes, but not a whole lot, about another foot, if i have to i can switch out the 1000s for 600s on the one table if that becomes an issue. As of tonite they seem to have started to stack nodes like they normally do, so that makes me feel a lot better. They def didnt grow as much during this last lights off.

Hey knowing stuff in your head is useless until (and if you can) match it up with your hands. Its just like cloning, you can read about it until the cows come home, but until you start cutting them buggers.....I thought i was all ready for cloning cause I read and read about it....but I had a steep learning curve, and now I have a 300 and some odd dollar ezcloner gathering dust in a closet...lol....I get roots in 5 days with rapid rooters, thrive alive mixed in Willow water...and much healthier roots and clones. Now i love cloning....

Thanx again.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol yes sir keep it simple - word bro - keep this thread going - like to see how they go for ya

peace

S

StrikeitRich

The fighting Edge

Man from what I see u are all good, when I LST with my guys, or any kind of training, it tends to send the side nodes, or branches shooting sky high, also with plants right next to oneanother its like they are all in competition to see who will win the ultimate race to the source of light.

I would agree with what was said about pruning and just keepin them thined out enough to allow good light penetration into the depths of the plant, (Not too much though) :)

I also do suppercropping early into flowering just to keep the canapy as even as possible but yeah its a delicate process of pinch and roll otherwise SNAP!

But yeah I'm excited to see em fill up and out,

Best of Wishes,
S i R

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

....I get roots in 5 days with rapid rooters, thrive alive mixed in Willow water...and much healthier roots and clones. Now i love cloning....

Thanx again.

No shit? Would you mind posting up about your full process? 5 days is insane. Oh, and what the heck is willow water?

TIA amigo!

B

bigloudvtwin

shit...didn't even think of that...i think it's a good idea with someone more familiar with the technique...the past two years has not allowed me the time to try many different techniques. I know what it is, but i also know the inexperienced can screw a grow up using it during flowering. I have finally gotten all my equipment and i have to play it safe. But thank you very much for the advice. I have never had plants bush out and stretch so much. Especially this strain of BBC. I have always had what looked like a little xmas tree farm at yank time....damn i am tempted though...lol

My green brother, I am brand new at hydro and into my 2nd grow ... supercropping has slowed down any stretch and I 've gone from about 22-23 cola tops to about 60 that are showing signs of colas. Major improvement in yield! I'm just now into week 3 of flower and glad I listened to folks on this forum. It will be ok. Don't get too stressed around your girls cuz it stresses them out too! Put some Steely Dan on for them LOL

6 5 11flowering
click80

click80

No shit? Would you mind posting up about your full process? 5 days is insane. Oh, and what the heck is willow water?

TIA amigo!

yeah i know it sounds like bullshit, and probably is strain dependent, but with the strains i have this is how i do it...oh, and I have a 120 site EZ cloner sitting in a closet right now and has been for a couple months...those things are a pain in the ass if you dont mind rapid rooters for whatever you are going into...I am not saying ezcloners are a ripoff. I read the thread on here by Jackmayoffer (?) titled advice for people using ezcloners, and I did get roots on my BBCs one time in just a few days, but considering the setup, ph'ing it everyday, water temp etc....I am forever a rapid rooter cloner...

I just clean, clean and clean everything i use, scissors, razors, my hands and forearms...i really believe in it...I go to my partners parents and get some willow's (you will have to look them up, they grow all along the river where I am at and as far as i know grows almost everywhere) there are many diff species, one being the Weeping Willow tree.

I make up my willow water about a week before: cut about 1 cup of 3-4 inch, pinky width, green growth, off the willow tips, take off leaves. I boil 2 liters of water, then let cool down a few minutes, put the willow tips in the water and leave on stove on low for about 12 hours.

Some people soak their clones in the willow water for a few hours before putting in whatever medium they use...I soak rapid rooters in my willow water to which i add 6 ml of Thrive Alive Red (3ml/ltr)...I cut my clones, dip in rooting gel (i like rootech)...I always get roots in 5 days with my BBC...takes about 7 days with Deathstar and Pineapple Express...

One other thing, LEAVE THEM ALONE....haha...seriously...I put the dome on and leave their asses alone unless i need to rewater....I think poking and prodding and twisting and peering down the little hole for white bumps pisses the clones off...lol...it does disturb them IMO....and I def use a seedling mat...

thats it.

edit Actually i forgot...normally for me using RO water, the ph is about 4.7 and I PH with Silica Blast the Willow water i use for my clones, and whenever I can actually, in other words when i can use it anyway...

ever since using Sure to Grow i havent had to even use PH up or down at all and i am still using the Silica Blast but just as an additive, not for dual purposes

...with hydroton I would have to used ph up at reservoir changes and then after that whenever i would top off I would use the Silica Blast as directed but it would serve dual purposes as it would offset the PH rise so i would not have to use PH up that I would normally need..but that has shit to do with clones right? haha

So anyway, maybe its the silica blast that helps...who the hell knows? I was reading up on this triacontanol, brassolomide (sp) and all these new rooting hormones...jeez...well actually "plant growth hormones".....its wild man...just like Gen Hydro came out with their "reverse engineered" answer to roots excel....it has (big surprise) Alfalfa Extract, Willow Bark Extract and Barley Extract...shit they have known about those since the 1930's....okay thats it on the diatribe....

hope this helps....

click80

click80

okay ths is the deal

Okay, thank you so much for all the advice and response, very very cool...i most appreciate it...THC Farmer is the shit...

I pruned, will take pics tonite when the bitch brings my camera back..lol...I am going to supercrop one table....the other i am leaving alone...i feel safe doing that...

One thing i want to know is this: My canopy is even, can someone tell me this, do I supercrop all the tops? I really dont have time to teach myself this technique on the forum here doing all the searching and reading etc....so if someone wants to give me some basic instructions...

I hope that doesnt sound too lazy, it is just that I am watching someone elses grow that had a major mite infestation that i was left to deal with and I have her fucking wolf hybrid dog, who is cool, but is high maintenance....I am scared the dog is going eat my little pug/jack russell pup I rescued from the pound...but her lights go on at 7:30 mine at 10:30pm, and i stay up til about 4am with mine, im just ocd like that in the first couple weeks of flower...soo...my life is hectic right now to say the least...

anyway, just wanted ya'll to know I am not being lazy and would normally look this up myself, but have never had this prob before and just do not have time to spend hours learning something....

So they have def gone out of the big stretch...whew...I do have a foot left to go up on lights....I pruned out all the bottom shit i know would just be buttermaker....I trimmed out about half the internodes on the sideshoots that did the big stretch...I didnt want to prune too much all at once...

So again my question is this, my tops that are at canopy level are now not stretching, what will supercropping do...I am just saying that this is a good strain, and it looks like, now that the stretch is over, the tops will do what they normally do for this strain and give me big, hard nugs....you can go look in my picks and see how they do....

I am just trying to be realistic....I do have the pinching thing down, I have done that on some of my moms before just to practice as I have always been interested in supercropping...some people twist them until they feel them give like a break you can feel in your fingers...which is better, pinch and roll or twisting them?

Top Bottom