Too much weed and read too many articles. Now I have a wild question.

• Thread starter Mr Withershed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr Withershed

Mr Withershed

So... I'm going to be blunt about this, this is a wild stoner question. I'm just going to jump in. I was reading articles talking about splicing the thc producing genes into bacteria. So I thought would it be possible to splice the psilocin producing genes of magic mushrooms into a marijuana plant? Upon more bowls and more pipe dreaming I thought, if I remember psilocin doesn't really work smoked. So you would be left with a plant, that if smoked, acted like normal weed, but consumed orally, would have hallucinogenic effects? Lmao I don't really know what I'm askin, just other stoner input. Possible? If someone had access to such neccesary resources, would it be feasible? Would it breed with other plants and carry on the psilocin producing effect?

P

paulycali

Lmao not a reply one. Can I take threads down?

I like where your coming from. Would be cool if that could possibly happen. Not sure what happens to psilocybin when burned. Even though you won't hallucinate after smoking it who knows what it wold do to the lungs

I can take down this thread if you want. Just let me know what you wanna do. Maybe move the thread to a better location or i can just delete it

squiggly

squiggly

Yes you could feasibly do this. It may not work--but it's something that scientists have the ability to at least try. It may end up being too difficult especially when it comes to compartmentalization (deciding where the stuff will be produced) as plant and fungi tissue are pretty different.

The stuff degrades with heat, smoking it more than likely wouldn't do shit (good or bad).

No offense, but this--without question--belongs in your "Stupid Questions" thread you started.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Don't stop at splicing how about growing a plant that's bomb and then saving baggies from all your favorite caps then introducing spores at different times and checking if any grow well enough to be eaten together and experiencing both effects...

Mr Withershed

Mr Withershed

Lmao I considered posting it there, and also considered not posting this at all due to the potential ridicule. But saying this is without question, a stupid question, is a very opinionated statement, something I'm very disappointed to hear from someone I look up to as much as I do you. I think this fall into the category of an advanced technique very well. Certainly it would be a very advanced procedure. My definition of a stupid question is one that the inquirer feels they are expected to know. I do not expect anybody here to know for sure. If taken seriously, it could be a very interesting idea. I don't think my question was stupid, I think your answer was arrogant. But that is my opinion, as it is your opinion that my question was stupid. I will refrain from posting anymore questions of this nature. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Mr Withershed

Mr Withershed

And Paulycali, I think I will leave it up. As stupid of a question as it is, I've decided I will pursue my answer regardless.

squiggly

squiggly

Lmao I considered posting it there, and also considered not posting this at all due to the potential ridicule. But saying this is without question, a stupid question, is a very opinionated statement, something I'm very disappointed to hear from someone I look up to as much as I do you. I think this fall into the category of an advanced technique very well. Certainly it would be a very advanced procedure. My definition of a stupid question is one that the inquirer feels they are expected to know. I do not expect anybody here to know for sure. If taken seriously, it could be a very interesting idea. I don't think my question was stupid, I think your answer was arrogant. But that is my opinion, as it is your opinion that my question was stupid. I will refrain from posting anymore questions of this nature. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

I said no offense for a reason and meant it. I said what I said in jest. I apologize if that went over your head--but if I've learned anything on this forum, it is that sarcasm is hard on the internet.

It's at the very least a silly question because it's not something which is going to be done in the next 50 years.

This is well beyond an advanced technique. This would take millions of dollars, a team of scientists, a few years, and a lot of luck to actually pull off.

Is it in the realm of possibility? Yes.

Probability? Not by a long shot.

I actually know how to do this and have done it with bacteria before. The problem is that plants are more finicky, the costs are incredibly high, and there is a moratorium on cannabis research in this country so getting a hold of the plasmids/vectors would be nearly impossible unless you printed them on your own.

If it were to have wasted my time, it wouldn't have been you doing it. I typed the response did I not? I'd have been wasting my own time. I was free to totally ignore this post, it's something I've pointed out to other members who don't appreciate my posts and I wouldn't be caught dead being a hypocrite there.

Also, I've come here a second time--willfully putting yet more of my time in to clarify my answer. If that doesn't clarify how I feel about the question I don't know what will.

That said, I still think this probably belongs in the smoker's lounge or elsewhere. Advanced techniques, in my mind, refers to cultivation/processing techniques which members might feasibly undertake.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

One time I noticed lil transparent orange shroom tiny things growing on stem once lol!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

A great friend told me that original plant that built OG rep was hallucinogenic!

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

I like where your coming from. Would be cool if that could possibly happen. Not sure what happens to psilocybin when burned. Even though you won't hallucinate after smoking it who knows what it wold do to the lungs

I can take down this thread if you want. Just let me know what you wanna do. Maybe move the thread to a better location or i can just delete it

I have mistakenly smoked mushrooms. Back when I had roommates one may long weekend one of them busted up some mushrooms in the coffee grinder to make gel caps with, and i used it right after and rolled a joint without knowing. I remember it hit me on the highway in rush hour traffic on a long weekend.. talk about a creeper high, that joint sure snuck up on us!

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Never worked for me smoking but in tea man Oman talk about stars melting down for the night sky!
Have you tried smoking just mushrooms? (theres a rumour around here the smoke makes you blind I think its BC) But I've never purposely tried smoking pure mushrooms. There was just remaining powder in my joint I guess..Interesting you have tried and it didn't do anything..

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Nada happened bud and they were Nigerian also when consumed you get enlightened and frightened!

P

paulycali

And Paulycali, I think I will leave it up. As stupid of a question as it is, I've decided I will pursue my answer regardless.

Right on! I'm cool with that. Do what you gotta do and let the splicing begin :cool:

I have mistakenly smoked mushrooms. Back when I had roommates one may long weekend one of them busted up some mushrooms in the coffee grinder to make gel caps with, and i used it right after and rolled a joint without knowing. I remember it hit me on the highway in rush hour traffic on a long weekend.. talk about a creeper high, that joint sure snuck up on us!

Lol! Never fun taking any hallucinogenic unknowingly. Gotta be prepared for that shit. I got some buddies who have smoked mushrooms. Not much happened as i recall. We were used to taking an 1/8th + so just a little bowl wouldn't do much i guess. I don't know about smoking a 1/8th of mushrooms. Gotta be tough on one for sure

Mr Withershed

Mr Withershed

Squiggley, I honestly wasn't really offended. I learned a long time ago you shouldn't be offended at anything anyone says or does, because it was a product, not of your immediate encounter with the, but of every other similar and even dissimilar situation they have every experienced leading up to that point. But as far as being silly, I just don't think it is. If this really isn't possible for the next 50 years, then shouldn't I begin learning now? Of course the idea will sound silly 50 years before it even has a fighting chance. Image telling your average Joe in 1916 that you planned on builing a flying machine, propelling it with the two most explosive natural substances on earth all the way to the moon and back and not kill yourself in the process. He also would find it silly I'm sure. But humans have an amazing way of doing what was considered improbable and even impossible only a few decades ago. Who knows where I will be in 50 years? I wouldn't be asking questions like this unless I am thoroughly convinced I can do it. Its only silly if you lack the motivation, drive, and persistence to do it. I put it in the advanced techniques section, because god damnit this is advanced.In my opinion CO2 extractions wont be undertaken by the vast vast majority of anyone here, but its not in the smoking lounge, its with concentrates like it should be. Im not putting my post in the smokers lounge to get largely ignored, or only get a bunch stupid fucking answers. I want knowledge not a bunch of idiots pipe dreaming. Im sorry if i'm coming off as offended, I'm really not, I'm just fucking irritated. I'm sick of being told I can't. Not saying thats what you said, its just what it felt like. I really appreciate the time you've taken to teach me a few things, and even more so the time, the hours and hours, days after days, you spent to be able help everyone, I really really do. Understand that I have been under tremendous stress since I was a child, so if I came off as offended, or angry, please be patient and understanding. I really like you, and the last thing I want to do is start hostilities with the inhabitants of my last real haven. Oh fuck it why am I even typing all this shit, I lost the respect of the one person I came here to learn from, god knows Ill never make hallucinogenic weed, even if I got close i'd just royally fuck it up like I do everything else. I don't know why I keep trying to become someone like you, Im always going to be the god damned fuck up who cant create anything but a halfassed rock riff and some shitty BHO.

squiggly

squiggly

Oh fuck it why am I even typing all this shit, I lost the respect of the one person I came here to learn from, god knows Ill never make hallucinogenic weed, even if I got close i'd just royally fuck it up like I do everything else. I don't know why I keep trying to become someone like you, Im always going to be the god damned fuck up who cant create anything but a halfassed rock riff and some shitty BHO.

I don't want to be a dick dude and tell you that you can't, but the truth is that I probably should unless you're a multi-billionaire or have a team of scientists (with advanced facilities in tow) behind you. That's it and that's all.

If you're in America you literally probably cannot do this. I realize we often do things that are outside of the confines of the law in this community--but this type of science is very collaborative and the law has put an impassable roadblock in your path (actually it's put quite a few of them). The particulars of this type of research require a great many resources which are totally closed off to you for MJ research. If you plan to open 5 different research facilities and to develop a cohort among them specifically to perform this task, then you stand a chance of completing it. This, however, is not something which can be done in your basement--or by yourself. It would take you longer than a human has to offer in one lifetime--I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one, but I won't count myself as a liar.

If you want to do this, the first thing you should set your efforts to is seeing the moratorium on MJ research lifted in this country.

I'm not telling you you can't--but instead will suggest that you be realistic. It is a suggestion, though, not a command. If I can help you figure something out that might lead you down the path of creating a pot/mushrooms hybrid I'd be more than happy to do it. You've taken my statements to mean that I think you're an idiot for trying. That's not what I've said. What I've done is simply to predict that you will fail. Is that so wrong? Telling you my true opinion? Or would you have me bite my tongue to satisfy your feelings?

If you came here to learn from me, then learn. Don't try to guilt me into apologizing by telling me how much respect you've lost. You should know that I come from a family of guilt trippers the likes of which the world has never seen, and I simply despise the tactic (and I don't respond to it even slightly).

I am not here for your respect, I'm here to lend my knowledge where I'm able. If you want to share in discussion with me I'm more than happy to do that with you (in fact this is precisely why I'm here) but I'm going to call it like I see it--that's the type of person I am.

I can't imagine you will have gotten a different impression of me from anything I've ever said on this forum.

Now, if you want to get over my failed attempt at sarcasm and quit feeling sorry for yourself I'd be delighted to discuss the particulars of genetic manipulation with you--but please understand that this type of endeavor is EXTREMELY ROBUST. It's not something that one scientist does at a benchtop.

Maybe you'll be the guy to change all of that, but until you've given me reason not to (and overreacting as you have here certainly doesn't really give me any) I severely doubt that you will be. It's already very unlikely that anyone will. That's just the name of the game.

It's like someone coming here and telling me they're going to build a stable fusion reactor in their backyard. It's just not feasible. I don't think I'd be an asshole to tell them so.

Ambition is good, but excess ambition is a waste of time and talent.

Mr Withershed

Mr Withershed

First and foremost, I would like to make it very clear that I didn't mean I had lost respect for you. I don't see that ever happening. I felt like I had lost your respect for me. Also, I had no intention of making you feel guilty. I could see before I even made an account that you are far too intelligent for any such tactics, and you might be surprised, I have no idea what your family was like but guilt tripping was my fathers go-to (understatement of the day). It was, as much as I hate to admit it, a little hissy fit. But I do not make it a habit to act out in such a way. I haven't done so in quite some time. Sometimes you just feel a little defeated I guess. But that's no excuse. And do I really think I could, even in 50 years pull off such a feat? Probably not. Hell, more than probably not. More like just a hair under absolutely not. I really just wanted to see how well an idea like this could grow on here. But I really hate this tangent we've gotten off into, so I have gotten over my failed attempt at sarcasm, quit feeling sorry for myself, and would very much like to discuss the particulars of genetic manipulation.

Also, I would like to apologize for making an ass out of myself. Just not cool of me.

And lastly, I would like to know what this moratorium is, I've never heard of such a thing.

Top Bottom