topping and training question

• Thread starter sharpgfx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sharpgfx

Hi I am trying to grow marijuana for the first time I have a couple plants with 4 nodes and I am planning on topping them when they reach 6 nodes but I was wondering that after topping my plants should I wait to try low stress training or can it be done at the same time without to much stress on the plants Can anyone give me some advice on how long to wait to start training after topping.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi I am trying to grow marijuana for the first time I have a couple plants with 4 nodes and I am planning on topping them when they reach 6 nodes but I was wondering that after topping my plants should I wait to try low stress training or can it be done at the same time without to much stress on the plants Can anyone give me some advice on how long to wait to start training after topping.
I guess the question is what are you trying to achieve with topping and training

S

sharpgfx

I am simply trying to get the highest yield I can out of these plants. After reading I understand doing this will help to increase my yield.

S

sharpgfx

I planned to top my plants and then since I am growing them in a tent I was going to try low stress training them by bending them down to keep the height down and keep my plant flat and even>

Shotyoung

Shotyoung

I planned to top my plants and then since I am growing them in a tent I was going to try low stress training them by bending them down to keep the height down and keep my plant flat and even>

IMO you can start as early as the 3rd node depending on strain, health and personal factors. Since it's your first grow, you may want to look into fimming instead of topping which is what I did my first year. With a little lst and fimming twice I was able to get 16 nearly equal cola's and that was taking 2 clones off of that plant. If you're working with autos you may want to stick with very little lst since they usually don't have enough time to bounce back from the shock. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah tip when healthy. I too after 4 nodes then scrog. It gives a nice even canopy.

S

sharpgfx

I have lots of room for my first two plants I have a 4x4x7 tent just starting slow for my first try the first two I am trying are a northern lights noc and the other one is a big bud xxl any suggestions for these two plants?

S

sharpgfx

I have read in quite a few places that said not to top it before you have six nodes because it may stunt the growth that is why I was waiting for six nodes.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have read in quite a few places that said not to top it before you have six nodes because it may stunt the growth that is why I was waiting for six nodes.
When the plants are too short to top there is very little separation between nodes and topping too soon will make it difficult to cut where you want to imho. I only have 5 ft under my flowering light and I don't top them until they're about 1 ft tall. Then I start to train the branches as they grow. I split my last plant down the main stalk this time by cutting it too close and tying them down to tight. Alls good now its healed up after help here from those that have been there dun that. pips pics pics are whats needed here for help diagnosing your problems. gl Pic 1 is the split. Bubba kush & KC39's were topped a week ago The larger plant Cherry Bomb is 2.5 months old and only about 2 ft tall.

Oct 6 2019 001
Oct 6 2019 004
BigCube

BigCube

For maximum yield, you're going to want to scrog. Once you scrog, topping is kinda pointless.

I prepare my plants ahead of time. While my current grow is happening. I make a clone and prepare it for the tent.

In a wide and shallow pot.
I plant the clone as close to the first node as I can. Then after 1 or 2 new nodes of growth, I top it at the 2nd node. From there, as it grows i LST it.

20190712 121801

20191009 091446

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pics are good. Nice work and method shown by @BigCube above.

This plant grew to about 15” in 5-6 weeks veg from seed sprout. Then about day 10 on 12/12 during stretch her main stem was bent and tied down to the pot. Her lower branches grew up and became tops quickly.

She has been harvested and smoked already. She yielded 6.2 oz dry solid nugs and 2 jars of small and looser buds and bud leaves for making infused coconut oil. Grown in a #3 nursery pot of potting soil under 600w HPS lamps.

D0B13D51 30FF 457A BE60 1DF47B3C6A77
3B84939F D4B5 423B A8F0 C3610CEC21B4

I like to move my plants as needed so no nets in my room but any training in veg for me just slows things down and has actually hurt yields in the past.

BigCube

BigCube

Very nice! That is a beauty. Not being tied to a net seems real nice lol. I might give this a shot once I get my other tent up.

Thanks for sharing @MIMedGrower
You always have top notch looking plants 😍

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Very nice! That is a beauty. Not being tied to a net seems real nice lol. I might give this a shot once I get my other tent up.

Thanks for sharing @MIMedGrower
You always have top notch looking plants 😍

Thank you very much. :-)

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thank you very much. :-)
I used a tape messure on my plants today and I topped them at 8" not 12" as I said above. and the CB that's 2.5 months is only 18" tall not 2' (bad guesstimating) . There's no doubt topping them slows them down but I like the finished results. I only turn 1 crop every 5-6 months and like to veg for 2.5 - 3 months from seed. I also don't use a net I find bamboo poles to give me a lattice lets them spread out and I can still move them around somewhat, it can be a pain when they get too big and pokes holes in my panda plastic. I'm only using about 200 watts with 4-t8's and 1-t5 4ft tubes in a 4x5 home made room.
For maximum yield, you're going to want to scrog. Once you scrog, topping is kinda pointless.

I prepare my plants ahead of time. While my current grow is happening. I make a clone and prepare it for the tent.

In a wide and shallow pot.
I plant the clone as close to the first node as I can. Then after 1 or 2 new nodes of growth, I top it at the 2nd node. From there, as it grows i LST it.

View attachment 901753
View attachment 901754
Nice full tent, How long seed/clone to harvest?

BigCube

BigCube

I used a tape messure on my plants today and I topped them at 8" not 12" as I said above. and the CB that's 2.5 months is only 18" tall not 2' (bad guesstimating) . There's no doubt topping them slows them down but I like the finished results. I only turn 1 crop every 5-6 months and like to veg for 2.5 - 3 months from seed. I also don't use a net I find bamboo poles to give me a lattice lets them spread out and I can still move them around somewhat, it can be a pain when they get too big and pokes holes in my panda plastic. I'm only using about 200 watts with 4-t8's and 1-t5 4ft tubes in a 4x5 home made room.

Nice full tent, How long seed/clone to harvest?

Hard to say. I start my plants months in advance. I would guess fro rooted clone, about 6 to 8 weeks veg. This strain seems to like 10 week flower.

I start my next pla t from a clone made just before I flip it. And I dry in my tent. So that means when I put the next plant I the tent for veg, its already 11 weeks old and potbound. Trained i to a shape good for scrogging.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hard to say. I start my plants months in advance. I would guess fro rooted clone, about 6 to 8 weeks veg. This strain seems to like 10 week flower.

I start my next pla t from a clone made just before I flip it. And I dry in my tent. So that means when I put the next plant I the tent for veg, its already 11 weeks old and potbound. Trained i to a shape good for scrogging.
11 weeks that's what I thought 2.75 months then flip. You don't get growth like that without vegging longer than the 6-8 weeks as I see people here posting that they do. I used to grow short christmas trees and then I found YT and saw the results & methods of topping/tying & spreading out the canvas. MiMedGrower said he just bends them over at 1/3 the desired height and voila! bushes, I like that, I might just have to give that method a try.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

11 weeks that's what I thought 2.75 months then flip. You don't get growth like that without vegging longer than the 6-8 weeks as I see people here posting that they do. I used to grow short christmas trees and then I found YT and saw the results & methods of topping/tying & spreading out the canvas. MiMedGrower said he just bends them over at 1/3 the desired height and voila! bushes, I like that, I might just have to give that method a try.

Not quite what i was trying to say.

I grow them to 1/3 of the max final height i have in the flower room. Then i put them in 12/12 and when they stretch after week 1 i bend them. Final height after bending and training is 30” max over the pot. They can end up 2-4 feet wide.

Since i have low ceilings i need the whole plant in the sweet spot of light. I can get good buds 2’ down i to the canopy with the 600’s.

There are many pics of my garden and techniques in my thread in my signature.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not quite what i was trying to say.

I grow them to 1/3 of the max final height i have in the flower room. Then i put them in 12/12 and when they stretch after week 1 i bend them. Final height after bending and training is 30” max over the pot. They can end up 2-4 feet wide.

Since i have low ceilings i need the whole plant in the sweet spot of light. I can get good buds 2’ down i to the canopy with the 600’s.

There are many pics of my garden and techniques in my thread in my signature.
I do the same thing really just with 30-40 branches and I just keep spreading it out along the trellis 4-5ft wide and 3-4ft across in a rectangle at about 3.5 - 4ft from the floor ( when things go right ) I've been lucky to get 2 out of 4 or 5 plants to be vegged long enough at the same time to do that, this grow I only have one but she should be a beaut.

I veg a heck of a lot longer than you and I like your results so I'll give it a try. I've already split my 3 short plants and I was getting ready to do it again but to speed things up and not spend another 1.5 - 2 months more vegging I might just try bending left and right ( seeing as I have 2 tops now) and shorten my vegging to just 1 more month. That way I could turn my Cherry bomb in a couple more weeks and won't have to feel guilty for too long that I've got my 1000hps on for just one plant.

BigCube

BigCube

11 weeks potbound though. It stops growing after 4 to 6 weeks. That picture is 5 weeks from clone. It was the same size when I re potted it and put it In the tent. I could veg a clone for 4 to 6 weeks and get the same results. I only sits around for 11 weeks cause I'm waiting for the tent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom