Topping effect on stretch factor?

• Thread starter Rama777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rama777

Rama777

Yo! I’m in the veg phase with 4 topped plants. I’m wondering how much topping reduces overall stretch, more or less.

Like if a breeder lists a strain as having a 3-4x stretch un-topped, I’m assuming that factor is reduced by having an even canopy of low stress trained tops, correct? In that case, is there any reason to allow for a 3x stretch or can I somewhat safely assume that with the even canopy that it will be more like 2x?

Choppr

Choppr

Type/Strain Dependent, but yes early topping has some effect on known stretchers, but most strains have a stretch built in to their DNA, usually a 14-18 day burst of energy and then it slows, although Sativa's will keep growing upward till last weeks of life - top'em, scrog'em and strap them down and try to keep an even canopy - early in Veg Hi-Intensity lighting can keep them shorter too (carefully done). Indi's will burst and usually hit a certain height and almost stop upward growth. Sati's stretch a lot more than Indi's, and dont really stop upward growth even after fruit-setting. Its best to know what your growing, Sativa/Indica Dominant, Pure Landrace Sativa/Indica (if there is such a thing anymore) I grow mostly Sativa's, Over the years Ive learned to stunt them in Veg by keeping them in 3 gal "rootmaker" pots until they're sexed then up-potting, stunts them while keeping a healthy root system, If I know they're Stretchy Ill keep them in the "rootmaker's" till the end, I also grow my own seeds and know them well, I have so much weed I dont need to grow for Yield....crop rotation is an art form lol, done right you'll have too much weed...pictures, these are known 6 footers, kept in 3 gal rootmakers, beginning wk 5 now.

IMG 5512

IMG 5670
IMG 5672
Rama777

Rama777

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing! I’m growing Grimm truffles, which is a cross between Cinderella 99 (3-5x stretch I hear), and White Truffles. Not sure of the stretch on that strain but I’m sure it’s much less.

But let’s say you’ve got a clone that you know always reliably stretches 3x in your given environment, if you let it just grow out untrained. But then on another grow from the same clone stock that, you top to have say 6-8 main tops, how much would you expect it to stretch if no other training was employed, just the topping?

Rama777

Rama777

And obviously what I’m driving at here is going to decide when to flip. I’d like to keep the plants at a maximum of 42” tall, which will allow 16@ of space from my air cooled 600hps. I’m at around day 28 or so. All the plants have 6 tops that are so far perfectly even. My plan is to keep them pretty even, then when I flip, add a screen to put the tops where I want then, then add a second screen sometime during stretch to support the tops. So no scrog. The nets will just be for support. So the big question mark for me (first time growing in a tent and also first time topping plants) is at what height to flip to get them as close to 42” tall but also not going over that?

Choppr

Choppr

Yes topping will keep them shorter, a multi topped bush will stay short/wide if done right. - you can wrangle any plant under double scrogs/nets, it may not be best practice (airflow, light penetration, etc) if theyre topped too many times they will have smaller buds. If your stuck with that tent all you can do is top, train and tame them. Without knowing the strains its all guess work, but sounds like you need to keep them about 20-22 inches - from the floor. For Photoperiods (especially Sativa's) you need a bigger tent. good luck

Rama777

Rama777

Well I can have the plants be 42” tall PLUS the height of the pot. So 52” from the floor to the tops of the canopy.

A

alpha.ganjaguy

I've only ever noticed topping helped to create more tops and a more even canopy so when the plant stretches the tops are all around the same height vs the xmas tree look of an untrained plant.

besides the height of the pot also keep in mind you will need space between the light and the top of your plant, most people plan for 2-3x stretch from what I have seen. It's better to plan for more stretch and come up short than it is to assume you will make it and then have plants growing into your lights

Top Bottom