Torches for Titanium Nails: Butane vs Propane

• Thread starter onisdad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
onisdad

onisdad

So i have been smoking BHO and other extracts for many many years and i just got my first titanium nail for my erl rig. i have been using a glass nail(not much actually) and a quartz nail more so. With those two i would use a butane torch to heat them up. At the recent SF Med Cannabis Cup, i noticed some of the booths had propane torches and these things heated up the ti nails in no time at all. i used to work at a sporting goods store and sell tons of propane for camp stoves.

Now I am familiar with the titanium oxide that is produced when the ti is heated to extreme temps. i would never hit my nail when it was still red and would assume that the gas would have dissipated by the time i have gotten my dome all set and my dab on my dabber. the speed of the propane torch just cant be beat. I can run 3-4 dabs with a pro torch in the same time as 1 with a bute torch.

But so, in my research, propane burns at a higher temp than butane. Almost too high, dangerously close to the melting temp of titanium. But we are talking about ideal burning conditions and the very high end of the range of temp that propane can output. i am sooo not running at "ideal" conditions so it shouldn't be that hot. i would NOT use the propane with the glass or the quartz because it will melt those guys in no time or at least cause them to break.

Anyway... so part of my question is has any one ever had a titanium nail melt or deform on them? Now my propane seems to have all the proper certification like that was mentioned at the bho seminar at the cup but has any one heard of say dirty low quality propane like for welding vs stuff used for a camp stove?

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

well for welding you dont use propane. . pretty much all the propane you find will be similar and is pretty funky. using it to heat the TI nail will be fine . when using it just dont hold it on the nail as long. i see people getting the nail red hot then letting it cool, i like to heat it just where i see it start to change color. i find it to be smoother like that.

C

cymbaline

I doubt a propane torch would melt titanium. They use that metal in jet engines which see much higher degree of temps.
Could it happen? Yea there are exceptions to all rules... My friend accidentally melted cast iron hobo pie makers in a fire before so sure.. (I've never heard of this method honestly but how do you hold the nail? Don't you think you'd burn yourself before the meltdown?)
I've never heard of low/high quality propane. Not to say someone isn't marketing "5x filtered propane" with no mercaptin (or however that additive is spelled) I know the propane around here is sold for everything from heating/cooking to welding and running vehicles.
No special propane for cooking though.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

Some propane torches come with map(sp) gas, it burns hotter and will heat up any nail a lot quicker but is less available, You're not melting ti with a hand torch...

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

Some propane torches come with map(sp) gas, it burns hotter and will heat up any nail a lot quicker but is less available, You're not melting ti with a hand torch...

yes map gas burns hotter than propane. . i use it for small time soldering, aceytaline torches get extremly hot . combined with an oxygen bottle you will be cutting thru some major metal in seconds

C

CamSmith13

So i have been smoking BHO and other extracts for many many years and i just got my first titanium nail for my erl rig. i have been using a glass nail(not much actually) and a quartz nail more so. With those two i would use a butane torch to heat them up. At the recent SF Med Cannabis Cup, i noticed some of the booths had propane torches and these things heated up the ti nails in no time at all. i used to work at a sporting goods store and sell tons of propane for camp stoves.

Now I am familiar with the titanium oxide that is produced when the ti is heated to extreme temps. i would never hit my nail when it was still red and would assume that the gas would have dissipated by the time i have gotten my dome all set and my dab on my dabber. the speed of the propane torch just cant be beat. I can run 3-4 dabs with a pro torch in the same time as 1 with a bute torch.

But so, in my research, propane burns at a higher temp than butane. Almost too high, dangerously close to the melting temp of titanium. But we are talking about ideal burning conditions and the very high end of the range of temp that propane can output. i am sooo not running at "ideal" conditions so it shouldn't be that hot. i would NOT use the propane with the glass or the quartz because it will melt those guys in no time or at least cause them to break.

Anyway... so part of my question is has any one ever had a titanium nail melt or deform on them? Now my propane seems to have all the proper certification like that was mentioned at the bho seminar at the cup but has any one heard of say dirty low quality propane like for welding vs stuff used for a camp stove?

Propane's MAX bur

Propane's MAX burning point in a hand held cylinder is 3,400 F. Titanium's melting point is 3,034 F. Propane ignites at somewhere around 900-1,000 F. The only way it would start to be come dangerous is if you're sitting down with 5+ friends lighting dab after dab after dab. I've seen a titanium nail melt, though it was MAPP, not propane, because MAPP reaches its highest temp of around 3,600 F about 3 x as fast as propane, and after 18 or so dabs, I started to light another and noticed discoloring and flaking on the nail. So I took it out, threw it in water to cool it, and threw it out.
If you use propane, you'll be fine, trust.

vaporedout

vaporedout

so since yall are on the subject of nails n such, ive just started dabbing within the last month. got a glass on glass on glass oil rig. the third glass being the nail, i use a butane torch and for some reason i just am terrified that nail is going to break or something, can and should i switch to a titanium nail? should the glass nail be heated up until its red or just before? thanks

kweezy420

kweezy420

Titanium ftw bro, you can get away with glass nails if you dont dab frequently. Its ok to heat the glass nail till red just dont over do it.

all in all get a titanium nail asap

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Been using the same HE Ti nail for over a year now and it had been used over a year before that. Its been heated up over 10,000 times.

The oxidation layer on a used ti is harmless Imho, all it does is make the nail not retain as much heat.

Whenever my ti builds up an oxidation layer, i simply scrape and scratch the layer off. But after doing this i make sure all the dust and particulates have been entirely cleaned off. I wouldnt want any of that being sucked into my rig!

Here is more info on the subject below

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

I also have a glass on glass on glass set up. I broke the first glass nail, replaced it and don't heat it up. Now I just heat up the glass dabber and it works..should probably switch to Ti next time im in a shop.

vaporedout

vaporedout

Been using the same HE Ti nail for over a year now and it had been used over a year before that. Its been heated up over 10,000 times.

The oxidation layer on a used ti is harmless Imho, all it does is make the nail not retain as much heat.

Whenever my ti builds up an oxidation layer, i simply scrape and scratch the layer off. But after doing this i make sure all the dust and particulates have been entirely cleaned off. I wouldnt want any of that being sucked into my rig!

Here is more info on the subject

my glass nail gets a layer of buildup but i just throw it in a jar of alcohol and let it sit, then once it comes out that layer pretty much flakes off, then i have a clean glass nail. can you do the same for a T one?

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

my glass nail gets a layer of buildup but i just throw it in a jar of alcohol and let it sit, then once it comes out that layer pretty much flakes off, then i have a clean glass nail. can you do the same for a T one?

I throw mine in Alcohol when im trying to clean the errl off, but that wont be enough for titanium oxide, it needs to be scraped off.

Dad

Dad

Map gas or propane get the ti to hot and it diminishes after time. i use the bb&b torch its the same as vector and half the price and imo better quality. plus if it breaks you just take it back to the store and get a new one.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

My buddy uses mapp gas and its the same as using anything else, you just dont have to heat it up that long! Only way mapp would diminish a nail faster than anything else, is if you sit and overheat it everyday! which could be easy for mapp gas, but an experienced smoker wont do this.

I use this small mini orange & grey torch. My vector one broke a long time ago and i hate having a propane tank on my table!

Torch 002

vaporedout

vaporedout

does that say dab out?? awesome... do you evaporate your alcohol after you clean your rig? i kept a jar full of alcohol and made sure i only threw in the pieces with wax resin on it, not the nail with the residue. then i put that stuff on some pyrex and melted it off. looks waxy

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

does that say dab out?? awesome... do you evaporate your alcohol after you clean your rig? i kept a jar full of alcohol and made sure i only threw in the pieces with wax resin on it, not the nail with the residue. then i put that stuff on some pyrex and melted it off. looks waxy

It does!

I take my rig full of reclaim or resin and throw it in the oven on low. I make the rig fit upside down between the racks and i let all the reclaim drip out onto a big piece of parchment.

After that i clean my rig and nail with R alcohol. The nail i throw into a zip lock bag with alcohol and shake it around till its not sticky. After that i just rinse with water and let the nail dry off real quick!

vaporedout

vaporedout

It does!

I take my rig full of reclaim or resin and throw it in the oven on low. I make the rig fit upside down between the racks and i let all the reclaim drip out onto a big piece of parchment.

After that i clean my rig and nail with R alcohol. The nail i throw into a zip lock bag with alcohol and shake it around till its not sticky. After that i just rinse with water and let the nail dry off real quick!
ahhh look at you with the system :) so i take it your rig is only for waxes then? our rig can be used as a oil rig or we have a seperate bowl that we can use as a bong. i quickly realized the reclaim collecting along with ash and resin so we cleaned it out perfectly and now only use it for waxes, ill have to try that oven trick, the rack is perfect in our oven to hold our rig.

Top Bottom