total indoor newbie.. plz help

• Thread starter ole_boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ole_boy

ok so i plan to grow about 6 fully mature plants in my garage(medical card limit).. Problem is i live in the desert where in summer months can top 120 degrees and night is still around 100.. so even inside my garage is well over the 75-85 range so i guess ima need to cool it somehow

I have 2 windows in my garage but i have no idea how to control ventalation and tempature.. I have never built a grow box before so i dont know if i gonna have to build one or can i get by without one? like using an air conditioner in one window and the exuast in the other?

can someone thoroughly explain this shit for me im terrible sorry for the newbie questions but if you help i will be eternally greatful

thanks,
ole_boy

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you able to use the whole garage, or are you wanting to frame in a smaller room or build a cabinet inside the garage?

O

ole_boy

thanks johnny well i know i cant use the whole garage because i use it to store alot of tools.. maybe tomarro i will take some pics to give you guys better insight... but i was wondering if i could like grow in a protion of the garage and still control tempature, and air control with 2 windows perpendictular to each other

or if im just gonna have to build a box and if i should build a box how do i control tempature, air flow/ventalation ??

O

ole_boy

by the way i could possible frame a portion in if thats best but kinda dont wanna do that

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Well for ease of setup, you could use a window A/C in one window, and use the other window for any in/out ports you'd need to run. By air conditioning the entire room, you'd cool off the cabinet or box by simply having an air exchange inside your grow area.

There are a few routes you could go. If you cool the entire garage, it'll cost more. But trying to cool a really small area can be tricky also. The size of the area you're growing in will play the biggest part in how difficult it'll be to cool it. You could use a portable A/C to cool just the growing area and duct it out of your window. Some people don't like portables, but sometimes it's the only viable option. In my room i have a window unit and a portable, but i do that so i can air condition my room without the neighbors wondering why my window unit is running when it's 55 degrees F outside.

Big ass trade off though, and here's what i mean: i payed $500 for my portable, which is 10k btu. A good window unit can be bought for $150 that puts out 10k btu. And even though both units are rated the same, the window unit will work better as it's more efficient.

Get some rough measurements on the area you'll be rocking, and i'll do what i can to help.

T

Trichy

Have you thought about a grow tent? This way you can control the temperature easier and cheaper.
You will need an air-conditioner either way and probably a cool water humidifier. :drink

O

ole_boy

thanks a shit ton johnny i'll get some photos and measurment tomarro cause im tired as hell now and running a fever(hope i dont have that damn swine flu)

thanks again man look out for my update tomarro

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Good call Trichy, don't know how i forgot to mention a tent, seeing as i have one myself.

Oh wait, i know how i forgot... :bong-hits:

O

ole_boy

Have you thought about a grow tent? This way you can control the temperature easier and cheaper.
You will need an air-conditioner either way and probably a cool water humidifier. :drink

would the grow dent be outside and how would it work?

i dont really wanna do it outside because the winds in the desert are purty beasty.. the winds took out my tomato plants already this year even when i had them staked :surprised

T

Trichy

I am thinking he doesn't need the whole space. Why hassle with the light leaks,temps,windows etc..
Easier to keep critters out too.
Thanks for the nod Johnny :)

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Then tent would be inside the garage, it's just another option to contain your plants. I like tents 'cuz they're hella easy to put together. But i also like cabinets 'cuz i like sturdiness. All in what flavor ya want.

F

Fear

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UbnBsUEoE0[/YOUTUBE]

Check this guy out. mr green it can give you a basic idea on setup and makin it work. He helped me start and im on my 3rd grow now ever.

What up Johnny?

:sun Peace from Cali :sun

F

Fear

tents are short if you have a garage go the full 8' or more! Easy to frame check the vid out. Especially with only growing 6 plants you want to maximize.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
What up broham? Good point mane, about them being short. Only thing about tents is most tend to limit you to "standard" sizes, say 2x4, 3x6, 4x8, whatever. Just something to keep in mind.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks a shit ton johnny i'll get some photos and measurment tomarro cause im tired as hell now and running a fever(hope i dont have that damn swine flu)

thanks again man look out for my update tomarro

Not a thing bro, it's what i'm here for. I'll be lookin out for an update. In the meantime... :passingjoint:

F

Fear

Man I lost alot of weight with that swine flu. Works better than the aids diet. LOL I am gonna have to put that in the swin thread hahaha i crack myself up. lol ooops i apologize to any sick patients.:sad0071:

Trichy- I agree a tent is super easy but 6 plants man that little extra height just a few 2x4 to frame a tight room tents and material prob the same. but can you mount a wall/window ac in a tent eassily. He needs ac in the desert a fat one/:cool0010:

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
^^ Haha. I'll have what you're having. I'm waiting on the Swine Flu strain. I mean we have pineapple express, why not have some swine flu?

sdgrower

sdgrower

You could also use a pre-fab storage shed in the garage. It would be easier to mount a wall unit a/c in a storage shed vs a tent. Height shouldn't really be an issue because if you want to YIELD with 6 plants you are going to have to LST them anyway.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Top Bottom