Total noob here, advice needed on LED

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
irishboiii

irishboiii

Hey guys, Im from Ireland and my LED choices are limited. I have a few short questions:

1. Is this a decent LED:

It says it can be used during all phases of growth. I may go with a higher wattage.

2. Would a LED grow get as good a yield as HPS if done properly? As in if a 400w LED & a 400w MH/HPS were done side by side with everything else the exact same would the LED get as good a yield?

urbanfog

urbanfog

You have lots of reading to do on LED. :D Dont take me wrong, first off. LED is growing daily in technology and use, but (man that's a BIG butt) you still will do better off using proper spectrums, and right now LED hasnt hit it, although there are a few companies putting out nice results.

Ive run 280watt blackstars, that I liked but didnt put out anything next to my 330 watt CMH. Nice growth, just not as efficient as LED, granted 50 more watts. I also think supplemental lED lights are great when used with MH/HPS/CMH etc. One day they will be there but just not yet....Again, don't get me wrong, there are several folks growing nice herb with them, but there have yet to "find their sweet spot" so to speak.

that unit shows 4 bands, Ive seen up to 10 recently. Im sure one of the LED farmers will jump on with there perspective (and again there are several that are awesome at what they do :D ), but again for me "regular" lighting used right seems to be better

Power OG

Power OG

i have been running a Mars II 400w, in my small closet grow. i pulled just under 4ozs off one plant last grow. imo i think the technology is there, they make full spectrum including ir.
respect
TMB
First 5

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Im not 100% sure if they are better watt to watt. I know my Black Star 500w L.E.D will crush a 400w hps or mh. I have done side by side runs with my 500w Black Star against my 400w ballast running on super lumens with hps and blue eye mh bulbs. The black star smokes the 400 watter any day and I am totally faithful that she would crush a 600watt kit hps or mh. Ppl really underestimate how far L.E.D lighting has come. Not only do they cost absolutely nothing in hydro and give off absolutely no heat the light spectrum is far more intense with the blue and red spectrums. Im gonna have to pull out my old 6 and do another experiment for self gratification. Maybe even log it in a journal. L.E.D lights cost a pretty penny in up front cost dont get me wrong but what you save in hydro is well worth the upfront cost. You gotta pay to play. I have had this black start running either 12/12 or 18/6 365 days a year for 3 years steady. She dont owe me a cent and she still puts out like a phat chick. Love me a chunky monkey.

Power OG

Power OG

Im not 100% sure if they are better watt to watt. I know my Black Star 500w L.E.D will crush a 400w hps or mh. I have done side by side runs with my 500w Black Star against my 400w ballast running on super lumens with hps and blue eye mh bulbs. The black star smokes the 400 watter any day and I am totally faithful that she would crush a 600watt kit hps or mh. Ppl really underestimate how far L.E.D lighting has come. Not only do they cost absolutely nothing in hydro and give off absolutely no heat the light spectrum is far more intense with the blue and red spectrums. Im gonna have to pull out my old 6 and do another experiment for self gratification. Maybe even log it in a journal. L.E.D lights cost a pretty penny in up front cost dont get me wrong but what you save in hydro is well worth the upfront cost. You gotta pay to play. I have had this black start running either 12/12 or 18/6 365 days a year for 3 years steady. She dont owe me a cent and she still puts out like a phat chick. Love me a chunky monkey.
Thats the truth bro!

tags420

tags420

I'm on Day 44 of my side by side with a light divider...Apache at600 led vs 1000w hortilux/solis tek/raptor. It's pretty damn close, and isn't over.

HPS
IMG 0612

Apache
IMG 0613

tags420

tags420

Hey guys, Im from Ireland and my LED choices are limited. I have a few short questions:

1. Is this a decent LED:

It says it can be used during all phases of growth. I may go with a higher wattage.

2. Would a LED grow get as good a yield as HPS if done properly? As in if a 400w LED & a 400w MH/HPS were done side by side with everything else the exact same would the LED get as good a yield?
check out if VIPAR can get to you. They are a good quality and affordable for EU when options are slim. Similar to what your looking at.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks for chiming in everybody. I agree, I have lots more reading to do! Ok Il check out VIPAR. I take it the brand Im looking at isnt that great?

irishboiii

irishboiii

Guys is this price too good to be true for a VIPAR 400w?

Looks way too good to be true

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Not a good photo but another 16-18 inch OG top. The penetration into the canopy level is there with the BlackStars I got. Technology has come such a long way from the first few L.E.D's panel's I purchased.

20140423 164328
tags420

tags420

Here is my first run with the light...
IMG 0546

It was great run and spurred me to put it head to head with the 1K like I posted earlier to see what the real differences are...all else being equal.

It's an Apache Tech AT600. This model has been released for almost 6 months now...and has been put of stock the whole time. There is a waiting list and they are going out as fast as they can be made. But apache is probably the oldest brand still around. They are made in America...Santa Clara, CA. They aren't some big production and top performance is all they care about.

irishboiii

irishboiii

So guys, is this legit?

The cheap price seems like it may be a scam, Vipar LEDS usually cost much much more dont they?

tags420

tags420

That is not a current vipar. Possibly an older or knock off model.

The ones I have seen good results with are in the link. They have the circular lens clusters.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks man. How come they only have very low wattage ones on that site? A 150w wouldnt yield much bud would it?

tags420

tags420

Thanks man. How come they only have very low wattage ones on that site? A 150w wouldnt yield much bud would it?
Not sure...they used to have some higher one, like a 3x3. They all come from the same factories...Cidly is the original factory in china. But VIPAR has shown to use a successful spectrum and is available in EU. That is why I suggest them. And they don't overcharge for a rebranded light.

LED's should yield you .7g/ to 1.5g/w if all goes great. Use that as a base

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks pal. I think Il got with those VIPAR then. Il get two of the 150w ones. They can be used during both veg and flower correct?

Would a 100cm x 100cm x 200cm tent be too big for two of those 150w Vipars? Il be growing DP auto mazar in DWC just to test the waters (my first "proper" grow) and will probably just do 2-4. Id like to keep it to 2 though.

tags420

tags420

Sounds like they would work out perfect. And be in the right price.

When a company offers bigger panels, they are just more of the same...not the same amount powered higher. So 2 of the 150w's would be the same as 1 300w panel. But you can move and angel them if you get 2.

Lets us know how they turn out for you.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks man, will do. Il start a grow log when I get it up and running. Thanks for all your help man.

So those 150w Vipars can be used for flower and veg? Its just that all LED's seem to make that claim and I dont know when to believe it lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom