Total noob here, advice needed on LED

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freespirit

freespirit

I'm running led in my veg room and then hps in my flower room. Anyone tried this? From everything I've seen you just can't replace an HID for flower, not that it won't work, but hid is always a bigger yield. I can't drop a grand on a grow light though.. So as with anything $= higher quality more often than not. 150$ 600w hps or 1000$ on something to replace it hmmmm

Last edited:
irishboiii

irishboiii

Well from what I can see if I go with LED (which I will) Il actually save money. If I were to go with MH/HPS Id have to spend hundreds on intake/extraction fans, air cooled reflectors etc etc along with trying to manage the heat.

If I get the two 150w Vipars, it will work out a small bit cheaper due to this, along with not having to worry about noise, heat etc.

Also Iv been reading a journal on ICMAG (or whatever the name is) by a guy called Skotee who did a great job with the same strain I intend to grow, using the same methods I intend to use, and the same wattage LED's too.

irishboiii

irishboiii

I intend to do 2 DP Auto Mazars in DWC on 18/6 using LST & SCROG under 2 VIPAR 150w (b2x3)

freespirit

freespirit

You're right, I do a closet so I can cool the room with natural air or AC when things are pungent. I didn't have to worry about those.

irishboiii

irishboiii

One thing Im confused about though is that since there is no need for intake or extractin fans in a tent with LED, how do I go about setting up a carbon filter?

Odour control will be very important for me.

tags420

tags420

Same way. Just dial it down or use a smaller fan.

You still need and want air flow and new/fresh air coming in every now and then.

irishboiii

irishboiii

That could be accomplished by just opening the tent every so often and having an oscilating fan though right?

As for the carbon filter, would a 150mm carbon filter and extraction fan be sufficiant in a 100cm x 100cm x 200cm tent with two plants?

Iv never grown properly before, my only experience is when I grew 1 plant in a wardrobe with zero equipment. Just a CFL and a plant lol.

So theres still things that confuse me such as what size carbon filter to use etc. And the carbon filter gets hooked up to the extraction fan correct?

Sorry for the million questions lol, Iv just never set up any of this equipment before.

freespirit

freespirit

IMVHO if you are doing 2 plants in a tent with LED the smell may not be bad enough to get all that extra equipment. Keeping the area around the tent CLEAN with some baking soda and other smell goods like liquid potpourri etc may neutralize the smell if any. If my closet is closed I can't smell it and I only smoke bud not cigs so just an idea. Without knowing the area around your tent I can't say. Higher temps and humidity exacerbate the smell IMO so the low heat with a smaller LED would help

Last edited:
irishboiii

irishboiii

Well apparently DP Auto Mazar is meant to give off an intense smell, that skotee guy I mentioned said just 1 of them will give a very strong smell.

So unfortuntaly Il have to get a carbon filter as Id be too afraid to risk it.

So would that size filter and extraction fan be ok for that size tent?

And how do you set up a carbon filter?

New Memphis

New Memphis

Guys is this price too good to be true for a VIPAR 400w?

Looks way too good to be true
Yes, its not putting out anything near 400W of LED light power. Check out the spec "Actual Draw". Its approx 200W.
Thats 1/2 the wattage that they reference the Grow Light with. Its a Chinese piece of junk and its typically deceptive advertising.
What does it mean that its a "400W" light? All that really means is "this light contains 132 LEDs rated at 3W each = ~400w."
Does that mean they will be driven at the full 3Ws each? Absolutely not. In fact, do the math, they are driving this light with only 200W, so the actual light out of this product will be: (Actual Power Draw(W) - 8%)*100 = Light output in lumens or about 18.4K lumens. At the rule of thumb for light (5K lumens per sq. ft) thats only enough for almost 4 sq ft, they say its good for 6 sq ft, again, untrue data there. (BTW, the -8% if for the loss in the LED drivers)
Its super irritating that LED grow lights are represented by the "potential" power they could be providing, rather than the actual power they are using. This vendor is putting out these low level lights, really under driven, so that they won't have any more returns than they already do. Just remember, the so called wattage rating of LED lights is not actual, but a value that the light can't possibly produce. Instead, look for the actual power draw, and do the calcs with that. If the light doesn't give an "actual draw" I would pass.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks man, didnt notice that myself.

Well the Vipar B2X3 on the legit Vipar site said the 150w is actual draw so Il be getting two of those in the next few weeks

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks g520, Im from Ireland and dont have as many options. Im going with the Vipar B2X3 in the link in a previous post. What do you think of the Vipar B2X3

tags420

tags420

They are all regbanded cidly apollos...some may have a custom spectrum, still lthe same chips offered by cidly.
I recommended them to irishboii because of his location situation...and also already showed him and others what a top end led(apache at600) can do. I am the same gg707(already was one here) that you dropped his RIU thread earlier...I know my shit and know what I recommended. Do you have another affordable light that is easy for him to obtain????...didn't think so.
Why would he buy a gotham and get i t shipped from the US...when he can buy a vipar that is based un the UK already. Yes, basically the same light...yes, rebranded...but if you ever talk to the vipar owner he will stand by it. Chips really don't matter if it is cheap vs cheap...as long as they aren't claiming top bins and brands...which vipar doesn't.

I don't support china lights very much(about 1% of the time) but there are times when a top end led just aren't and option, use some sense and reading to find that out. Check his budget for starters...so the question is what cheap(er) light will do the job, have access to, and will stand by it if anything were to go wrong...
Vipar is that choice for the UK. Facts.

Last edited:
irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks guys, Iv been in touch with Vipar in the uk and unfortunatly the B2X3 is no longer in stock. Instead they are going to give me a B2X4.

The B2X4 sounds great, 360w actual draw but claims to put out 600w of light and uses 5w LED's.

Im ordering mine tomorrow!

Top Bottom