Training/Topping - what method for what strain?

• Thread starter JayBee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I have read that some plant respond better to some methods than others. Some strains topping is bad idea and LST or Super Cropping is better, some the other way around.

What are your opinions on best methods for specific strains you have grown?

JB

J

jdubz206

honestly bro, i heard the same thing. but i top and fim all of my strains and then lst and supercrop...i've yet to run across a strain that doesn't respond well to it...i do it in that order to...if i'm growing from clone or seed, i will top or fim it pretty early on. then i lst and\or supercrop for a bit...also pinching works really good too..i combine multiple training techniques to grow big bushes...i'm a med patient and need to stay within a limit so i have to go bigger. in the last year, i've done this technique with mustang mist, sfv og kush, spacequeen, alien dog, bluemoonshine x socal master kush, the white x 97 bubblegum, zoo's sr71 pk mix, herijuana, mr.nice, and i've got a few seedlings going right now that i'll be fimming since it's at its 3rd node. hope this helps. peace bro. j

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Thanks Dude! That helps a lot. So fiming the kush was no problem? How long do you normally veg for?

J

jdubz206

Thanks Dude! That helps a lot. So fiming the kush was no problem? How long do you normally veg for?

nope bro, no problem at all. so far everything responds to a fim good. i've noticed that certain strains tend to fim better than others. for example, when i fim sfv ogk, i typically end up with 3 tops instead of 2. when i fim mustang mist, i will get 5 or 6 tops..so some strains will respond better but i've never had one that had a problem with fim. i veg for 8 weeks on average.

R

redog

Another

From a post by Bud-E

Originally published:TIP OF THE MONTH HighTimes Magazine July 2000
To increase yeilds and maximize space,many farmers "top" their plants-snip off the top bud.Tradionally, topping your plant causes two shoots to grow back in place on the one pruned off,thus increasing the number of top/main buds.Well thanks to a loyal reader,we've topped that.
This tip came to me by South Carolina discovered by accident a pruning technique that all growers should know about".As I read his letter,I remembered that the same thing had happened to me many times and I never took notice. I too occasionally got up to five or six new shoots growing from what I thought was a sloppy topping attempt.

"A" shows the tradional method of topping:Cutting the whole node off cleanly,to induce the stalk to split into two.But "B" indicates the cut below the center of the node,leaving about 10% intact. This is the key,because the vegetation left behind has cells that are rapidly dividing in many different directions.This can lead to as many as EIGHT tops from a single pruning.

FIM3
Cuts0000
FIM00000
Patriot

Patriot

Thats good to know...what do you recomend if a plant is growing exteremily slow...well slower than others...i think i have wattered too much so i ll wait till it dries for 2 or 3 days.....any other ideas...thanks guys

H

headimonster

i personally love LST if u have the time, plus with powdery mildew susceptiable strains, it is less stress more power to fit diseases....imo

G

grizz

it really depends on what type of plant you want to grow, I like my short plants that grow a big central cola with tight side branching as I grow in a stadium. if you just growing a couple plants in a small space list , super crop and fim .all work. there is so many ways to alter plant structure. it just depends on what you want.

Patriot

Patriot

what about fan leaves, can i take them out on veg growth or should i always leave them in the plant.... I think i am going to try to cut the new leafs on top (fim) and see how it works......Wish me uck guys...firt indoor grow

Patriot

Patriot

i posted this somewhere else and no one seem to care, i ll give it a try here. Maybe somone can give me some pointers\

logic...
this might sound funny but this is what i am gdoing.
I have a CFL 42 watt(equivalent to 150W) foe veg...and another 42 watt (for flower (different spectrum) I started veg in a dog carrier box...placed it with the door up and place the light ontop of it and attached a llittle fan...i have been keeping it at 75 F/about 25 C and between 55-62 % humedity...bc i overwattered them , 2 of them are small but one is about 7 inches....12 cm or so?
For the flowering room i took windshield cover for cars...you know the reflecting material so that the sun dont melt your stearing wheel...ans place it on the walls of the closet....with the light and the fun hanging kind of like in the Dog Box....
This is my first time growing inside and i wanted to experiment like this to see what i am capable of doing with a very low -low bugget...
I think i spent a total of 150 Euros, or some $200 dollars total, counting the soil....
I will let you know how everything is going if interested...I am not sure if it will work or not but i am giving it a try...so far, so good/....

Top Bottom