Training

• Thread starter plm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
plm

plm

Hey guys, I'm at my second grow and I got 4 Critical and 4 Bubble Kush and both can grow around 1.40cm high, and I was wondering what can I do to keep them shorter, my groom room is 1200x1200x2000 cm 1.5mp2 and I want to fit there 8 plants and I won't have room for the light to fit in as well, it's 600W HPS (I have cooltube but still) and need to keep it like 40cm away from plants and if they will grow too big I won't be able to raise my light... and I don't wanna risk burning them, it happened this to me on my first grow and I don't want to repeat that mistake.

So my questions is, how can I prevent them from stretching too much?
If I top them once will they keep shorter? Shall I add a scrog net? What can I do so the light can be more spread on the canopy?

What are your suggestions and how should I fit 8x plants in 1.5mp2 and what training techniques shall I apply to optimize my space and maximize yield?

Gaberabtic

Gaberabtic

Well sir. Im running a 1k light in a cooltube which is frwaling awesome! Love cool tubes. Im in a 4x4 by 6' space and i have done a lot to keep the ladies short but dam they love that light. I have a Green Advenger clone that is abouy 5 inchs from the light and never has burned. Some things i have done is squeeze the stalks not to much just enough to make a knot. Super cropping is another idea you can do. But a srog net would be your best bet imo.
Light is out right now but later i can post some pics

plm

plm

Sure maybe I will find some inspiration in your setup:D
All I want is to to keep the plants at a certain height so I won't have to raise my lights anymore than I can, I just want to create an even canopy and as much light as possible to cover it, and I want to know how to create this structure with 8 plants in 1.5 square meter tent, keep the plants to maximum 1 - 1.2m tall not higher.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Keeping the lights as close to the plants as possible without burning will keep the plants from stretching to the light.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Hey guys, I'm at my second grow and I got 4 Critical and 4 Bubble Kush and both can grow around 1.40cm high, and I was wondering what can I do to keep them shorter, my groom room is 1200x1200x2000 cm 1.5mp2 and I want to fit there 8 plants and I won't have room for the light to fit in as well, it's 600W HPS (I have cooltube but still) and need to keep it like 40cm away from plants and if they will grow too big I won't be able to raise my light... and I don't wanna risk burning them, it happened this to me on my first grow and I don't want to repeat that mistake.

So my questions is, how can I prevent them from stretching too much?
If I top them once will they keep shorter? Shall I add a scrog net? What can I do so the light can be more spread on the canopy?

What are your suggestions and how should I fit 8x plants in 1.5mp2 and what training techniques shall I apply to optimize my space and maximize yield?
I'd say DO NOT move your lights any closer at all costs. You dont want all of your fan leaves to be stunted because it ends up being a death sentence for them in the flowering phase. But there are techniques to slow down growth short from a bigger bloom of horizontal growth. The plants will get bushier but do some topping, super cropping, and you can even pinch around the top nodes just to slow vertical growth down. I say definitely do the Scrog and see what can be done about more or less vertical space.

Reactions: plm
plm

plm

Is it safe to do a complete defoliation underneath the scrog to make the plant prioritize the energy on the canopy where the most big and dense buds will form?

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Is it safe to do a complete defoliation underneath the scrog to make the plant prioritize the energy on the canopy where the most big and dense buds will form?
Yes, in fact I'd say that's one of the benefits of a Scrog. Do it at the right time to majorly increase yield as I understand it.

plm

plm

I plan to top them when they are in week 2 of veg at the 4th node or so, give them 2 weeks to recover then defoliate right before the flip at week 4 of veg, and finally apply the scrog net right and then maybe defoliate second time as plant approaches harvest?

Will that keep an even canopy and some space for them to develop properly?

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I plan to top them when they are in week 2 of veg at the 4th node or so, give them 2 weeks to recover then defoliate right before the flip at week 4 of veg, and finally apply the scrog net right and then maybe defoliate second time as plant approaches harvest?

Sounds like a plan. All you really need to do is top them. I got my very first Scrog with 8 plants (unknown strain, wild) coming up. Got any pics?

20170827 141506
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Those will go into a tent with an LED, and of course the net when the tent becomes unoccupied.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Oh and this can't be stressed enough. You need to do some weaving of the stems through the net while your still in veg time or else it sort of defeats the purpose. Don't ask me why. I was told this by other well-experienced moderators. I wish I could deploy my net already but my flowering plant in my tent is taking its sweet time. It's like a 3 to 4 month flowering strain I believe.

plm

plm

So, if a branch goes through the screen and start to stretch, can I attach it with a clip or wire to the net so it grows horizontally towards the light and maintain the desired height?

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

So, if a branch goes through the screen and start to stretch, can I attach it with a clip or wire to the net so it grows horizontally towards the light and maintain the desired height?
No need. Just tuck tuck tuck. Under the net that is. Tucking is important.

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

At like, 2 weeks into flowering is when you want to let them go to maintain optimal flower height. Until then you just keep tucking I believe.

plm

plm

Tucking makes sure all the branches are spread evenly and maintain same height until the scrog screen is filled and ready to switch flowering right?

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Tucking makes sure all the branches are spread evenly and maintain same height until the scrog screen is filled and ready to switch flowering right?
Makes sense.

plm

plm

Then I think I should use less plants, I don't think they will all 8 fit in 1.5 square meter tent with the tucking and so... how many do you recommend for these dimensions to maximize yield and space?

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

Then I think I should use less plants, I don't think they will all 8 fit in 1.5 square meter tent with the tucking and so... how many do you recommend for these dimensions to maximize yield and space?
For mine, I'll be separating whatever males I get and using a 36"×20"×63" tent. I have all the height I need just not as much horizontal space as you. It sounds doable in your case but it depends on how vast they spread I guess. My last grow, I only got 1 female out of 5 plants lol

Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I say use all 8 but only top them once. Thats what I'm doing in case I end up with more females than I bargained for. They'll still grow 4 main branches each. I also read that you don't want your scrog net to be anymore than 8 in. above the soil line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom