Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 2 times

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 3 or more

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
3 balls

3 balls

I keep changing my routine around so I'm checking with the farm hoping to find one I can feel comfortable with and stick to. I understand there's a ton of variables on this one, space, veg time, etc. No wrong answers here.

I threw in my first survey (hoping I did it right), but would love to hear some routines and methods and why that works best for your grow.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Extreme mykos on the roots for sure.
Autos are becoming more popular it a seems for the fact that I can finish my autos under 16-8 and start new photos along side when I feel I have felt they have 4-6 weeks left.
These are supposed to start in the pot they finish in but I havent had an issue transplanting once.
Perpetually smoking.
I didn't have a goid experience with autos so I'm partial to photos because they seemed to be a heartier strains.
O could be full of ahit though .

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Always start seeds and cuttings in 18oz. plastic party cups in potting soil (was using ocean forest with 25% added large perlite now using sunlight supply’s (Hawthorne) new equivalent soil. Mother Earth groundswell. They even copied the hippy art on the bag but included enough, maybe too much, perlite. So far so good but needs water more often than I am used to.

Anyway. I go from the cup for about 2 weeks then into a 1 gallon plastic nursery pot for up to 3 weeks and into a 3 gallon plastic nursery pot for a week or so before the plant goes into the flower room.

This is under t-5 fluorescents in veg and 2 600 hps in flower. Sometimes an added 315 lec in winter.

Monster762

Monster762

Best method I seen yet use regular solo cups but by the half size clear ones too. They rest right on top the solo cup. Not the little thin things. Dollar store has em both. Put holes in the clear one.no holes in solo cup. Your actual solo serves as light shield and drain pan in one. At any time just lift the plastic cup ( it’ll seat right on the solo) and you can see exactly what your roots doing. When ready I go to these pots that are just shy of 1 gallon
I second third n fourth mykos.
This is where I add mykos big scoop to every 3 gal worth of soil mix. I mix it all up so it’s all through the soil. Then 2 weeks those pots bound n I put in 4-5 gal fabric. I’ve found plastic easier to transplant from so I only use fabric for final home.plastic I just turn upside down n tap sides they fall out clean. So I up pot twice
adding more mykos each time. This is a 2 week root ball with mykos in there. Not the whitest here but that was something I did not the mykos too much moisure probably
0D84F2D0 32E1 4D59 BBEE CE6EFAFAEBE1
this ones a bit better
FE057AB6 3120 4BD7 BC4F C03A983728E0

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
All my starts are solo cups. I only transplant once into final flowering shoes. This in my opinion eliminates stall/shock to the grow cycle. It is to my mind redundant to transplant multiple times unless there is a need to.

I also transplant before they become root bound in the solo cups to eliminate any "tea cup" effect.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I am prototyping a new kind of potting system right now. Have a meeting with an investor next week. It’s called The Growing Pot. The latest prototype will make it cheap, affordable and will make growing easy for anyone. I’ll get into more details as we move closer to production.

Phylex

Phylex

I just used the one and done method this grow. The clones went into a 3 gal. plastic pot. My next grow will start from seeds and I plan to try the solo cup, one gal pot, then either a 3 or 5 gal. depending how this run turns out. I was reassured multiple times that the 3 gal. would be sufficient. I'll know more when I'm done and after checking the root ball after harvest.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I am prototyping a new kind of potting system right now. Have a meeting with an investor next week. It’s called The Growing Pot. The latest prototype will make it cheap, affordable and will make growing easy for anyone. I’ll get into more details as we move closer to production.
A bottom feeder?

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I just used the one and done method this grow. The clones went into a 3 gal. plastic pot. My next grow will start from seeds and I plan to try the solo cup, one gal pot, then either a 3 or 5 gal. depending how this run turns out. I was reassured multiple times that the 3 gal. would be sufficient. I'll know more when I'm done and after checking the root ball after harvest.
Do ya think transplanting so many times will stall em?

Phylex

Phylex

Do ya think transplanting so many times will stall em?
Honestly I'm not sure. I'm still trying to learn what will work best for me. But there are products like super thrive that are supposed to reduce stress. The reason I want to try something different from the one and done is because I want more control over watering and focus more on root development in the beginning. I've noticed when the pot is too big it takes forever to dry out. I personally hate waiting 7+ days to water. I prefer watering every 3-5 days.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A bottom feeder?

Are you calling me a bottom feeder? Lol kidding.

No it’s actually a stacking expandable potting system.

Instead of replacing the pot you’re using you simply expand it with more growing medium and it continues to grow without the risk of shock or messiness to clean up.

I came up with the idea about 5-6 years into growing and after years of thinking to myself, “there has to be a better way”, I came up with it while sitting in my grow room trimming some bud.

I sat on the idea for nearly a decade. Then earlier this year my schedule cleared up and I ran it by the wife. She lit up cuz it was something I talked about over the years and always said I regretted not doing something about it. She urged me to move forward with it.

So one day I was searching for prototype companies and came upon an article that said many times you can use things around the house. I seen a Clorox wipe container and thought wait a second. That’s sorta what it would look like. So I went to the store and bought a pack of em.

Then started cutting them and assembling them as I imagined it. I cut the bottom out of a hydroponic net pot and glued it to the bottom and viola it was complete.

I started growing some plants in it to make sure it would work and sure enough it works perfectly as I imagined it would.

When it came time to expand the pot (or transplant) I added a layer of soil underneath and within seconds it was done. No mess to clean up. No trying to get enough soil tucked around the sides, nothing. What used to take several minutes took me about 3 seconds. My mind was blown.

It dawned on me we’ve been doing things the wrong way since the beginning of container gardening. We’ve been using a square wheel this entire time and I just created a round one.

Since that original prototype I’ve hired an engineering firm to design it and while they did a great job it’s just not cost effective to mass produce. So I’ve since gone back to my original design and tweaked it to make it even better.

My intention is to create a cheap package where anyone can grow anything (mainly cannabis). You just open a premeasured bag of soil. Put it in the container. Add your seed and water it. All nutrients will be available within the soil. When it comes time to flower you just open the other bag of soil, fill the other container and put it underneath the original container so the roots can grow into it. The nutrients for the flowering phase will be in that soil so my intention is there will never be a need to bottle feed nutrients. Just water.

It would be an all inclusive kit you can buy and grow a plant. So basically anyone with access to light and water should be able to grow cannabis.

Of course it won’t be ideal for every strain but it will work will the majority of them.

And that is The Growing Pot. The pot that grows WITH you!

I also do have lots of cool ideas for other versions and editions of it. It is also versatile enough it can be used for hydroponics, coco or soil. So if at anytime you want to try another growing method you can without buying new containers.

3 balls

3 balls

I couldn't have asked for better responses! A ton of questions I want to ask but I'm forcing myself to squeeze in some actual gardening in between all the time I spend learning stuff on here. I Love the farm!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have to say this. Transplant stress is a myth. Grower error is not.

I see new leaves grow within a couple hours with a properly timed and executed transplant up to a bigger pot.

The plant is always happy about it.

2/3 bigger than pot is a good indicator. Lol
7F12BAC9 DB75 4652 AD5D B9E4252D741B

Dry root ball lifts run get out with a little pressing around the pot and pop up the bottom.
6EDFA0AF D8C4 484D A8EE BAE4310DD7EF

Happy and growing right away. Watered to good runoff.
601BF79D 6FD3 42CB BB22 B119DC4D4F92

That is a #1 nursery pot to a #3

With a good tight root ball that densely fills the containers each up pot. You cant easily break up the soil in the final pot. Just a mess of roots mostly in there.

Last edited:
3 balls

3 balls

Always start seeds and cuttings in 18oz. plastic party cups in potting soil (was using ocean forest with 25% added large perlite now using sunlight supply’s (Hawthorne) new equivalent soil. Mother Earth groundswell. They even copied the hippy art on the bag but included enough, maybe too much, perlite. So far so good but needs water more often than I am used to.

Anyway. I go from the cup for about 2 weeks then into a 1 gallon plastic nursery pot for up to 3 weeks and into a 3 gallon plastic nursery pot for a week or so before the plant goes into the flower room.

This is under t-5 fluorescents in veg and 2 600 hps in flower. Sometimes an added 315 lec in winter.
I'm going to look into this Mother Earth groundswell. One of the reasons I switched to coco was I hated buying Ocean Forest plus the extra perlite then having to mix it all up.

I'm all about the plastic pots through the transplant stages but do you not care for the fabric pot in flower or just don't see a real benefit?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm going to look into this Mother Earth groundswell. One of the reasons I switched to coco was I hated buying Ocean Forest plus the extra perlite then having to mix it all up.

I'm all about the plastic pots through the transplant stages but do you not care for the fabric pot in flower or just don't see a real benefit?

Personally I don’t see a benefit. I get over 2 oz dry flowers per gallon of soil mix consistently. And the they are strong and easy to slide around. With a good dry cycle the roots fill the whole pot.

Been using the same premium nursery pots for almost 5 years in rotation.

And the groundswell seems to be even with ocean forest so far except I am watering a day or two sooner.

2 critical mass hybrids. One in each soil. OF has 25% added large perlite. Very similar or same pheno. Very even in growth. Can’t even tell from pic which is which.

1E047560 B956 4133 B5C6 19D271CCBAE5

But if I have to water every plant every day in peak flower compared to the 2-3 day cycle now I may switch back or just use promix Hp which needs no more perlite either but gives me a longer cycle.

3 balls

3 balls

Best method I seen yet use regular solo cups but by the half size clear ones too. They rest right on top the solo cup. Not the little thin things. Dollar store has em both. Put holes in the clear one.no holes in solo cup. Your actual solo serves as light shield and drain pan in one. At any time just lift the plastic cup ( it’ll seat right on the solo) and you can see exactly what your roots doing. When ready I go to these pots that are just shy of 1 gallon
I second third n fourth mykos.
This is where I add mykos big scoop to every 3 gal worth of soil mix. I mix it all up so it’s all through the soil. Then 2 weeks those pots bound n I put in 4-5 gal fabric. I’ve found plastic easier to transplant from so I only use fabric for final home.plastic I just turn upside down n tap sides they fall out clean. So I up pot twice
adding more mykos each time. This is a 2 week root ball with mykos in there. Not the whitest here but that was something I did not the mykos too much moisure probably View attachment 848124this ones a bit better View attachment 848125
Gotta get me some mykos! I have used Great White quite a bit but it's so damn expensive. Those are some impressive roots man. Which reminds me of another transplanting related question: Root Pruning. I have never tried it, just heard it mentioned here and there, does anybody have a strong opinion for or against the practice? And in what circumstances?

Last edited:
3 balls

3 balls

For this grow I started in Solo cups. Then they went into 2 gallon fabric pots. Then I just roll the sides down and transplant them into their final homes in 5 gallon fabric pots.
Do you know the brand of the 2 gallon fabric pots? I basically do the same sizes and process but I have never been able to get a plant out of fabric without cutting it apart.

Top Bottom