Transplanting?

• Thread starter biggun4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

biggun4me

OK, I know its not a good way to grow in rock wool but this is what I got and I want to make the best of it..
Sorry for the redundancy of my post but I really aint that smart..
in the first pic what you see is what I got.. I am planning to first cut clones off those plants, I have about 15 like that... They are OG from clones that I started from seed. I am planning on starting them in the rapid rooters in the pic so I can grow in dirt the next time... I will dip them in the clonex and put them in the pre-soaked rapid rooters.. Then I will place a dome over the top and folar feed regularly while they get light from a t-5.. Sound good so far?
Here is where I am confused a little.. I am then thinking about putting the big cubes in a pot and surrounding them with Perlite.. Should I mix the perlite with something else? And what about my selection of nutes? Do I have what I need... I am so confused... Peace

Another try 002jpg
Another try 004jpg
J

JustBurn

you should cut, dip, stick and put the dome on, in 5 days take it off or so, and you shouldn't have to "feed" foliar, just spray with water once to keep humidity up and keep the plant taking some water at least through the stomata. But roots should take super quick with those plugs, just keep em wet

T

tumbleweed

You can transplant from rockwool cubes to soil, if I buy clones they are in rockwool, when I do them myself, I use the rapid rooter cubes, either way they then go into soil. Lots of soil choices, I do it the easy way and just use straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

B

biggun4me

What I want to do is transplant those 6" cubes into bigger pot's...Idon't think I can put them into soil now.. Wouldn't the Ph difference be to much between the 2?...

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey bro, I only foliar spray w the same solution I soaked the plugs in(I use Nitrozme Kelp & Superthrive). I only foliar when I cut the clones and place in the dome, and 24 hrs later. I might spray them another time but it would be a day or two later that's all. After that, you shouldn't need to foliar imo. I do like to stick my cuts in the Clonex gel for 3-5 minutes and leave them there. I find it really helps the gel to stick, allows the gel to kill off harmful crap and seal the cut proper. You will get much better success rates.. ;)

Whenever the plugs get drier or they turn light brown in color, just water the plug w/ your solution. 5-7 days later roots should be shooting thru. I might add 1/4 cup of water to the bottom clone tray for humidity, doing this will allow you to not have to foliar that much, which will and could cause reverse foliar feeding, rotting stems, dead plants, etc.

Now the big blocks. Yeah, you can just perlite them in a large bucket with holes, might/will dry out fast, or plant them on top/in of a soil/soilless mix. The roots will grow to the new medium, no problemo man. If it were me, I would use a good soil(cut with 20-30% perlite) or soilless mix and plant them. I never have ph worries btwn the two man. Just plant, water, and sit back!!

:character0053:

Happy harvests!!

420king-MASSES

why dont you just plant the rockwool cubes in promix it wont hurt the roots and it will give you a bigger root mass more root=more bud

B

biggun4me

Promix it is... Should I mix in the perlite with it? Do I then keep running my Ph at 5.6- 5.8?
Also do you think a 5 gallon pot is to big?

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
like ol boy said just put em in some promix i am a clone king for a few disp. in my area i run an ez cloner though but after i get the roots to pop, i use 2x2 rockwool cubes that i cut open and tuck the roots in let em veg for a few days so roots push through the cubes and they are golden for growing, the reason i do rw is that u can use it in soil hydro coco

B

biggun4me

OK So I can not find promix but I can get some sunshine mix #4.. I am going to mix it with 30% perlite.. My question is for my first watering in the soil mix should I water at 5.6-5.8 Ph like I would for rock wool or should I Ph for soil? Peace

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Sunshine is better anyways.. I wouldn't worry about ph'ing. SS#4 has lime for ph stability.

B

biggun4me

Ya but when I mix my nutes what do I ph it at before I water the plants?
Another thing, should I transplant them and put them directly into 12/12 or should I keep them in veg a couple of days?
I just finished trimming some and cut clones. check out the pic and tell me what you think.... I will be putting those plants into 5 gallon buckets with the sunshine and perlite mix... Peace

Trimming and cutting clones 001
Trimming and cutting clones 003
Trimming and cutting clones 005
Trimming and cutting clones 015
Trimming and cutting clones 016
Trimming and cutting clones 019
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How about you bypass the rockwool altogether and clone using just perlite? It's what I'm doing til I get my custom cloner in (spending too much time drilling and filling fucking cups! I'm sick of it!). I haven't used a dome in some time, I flood the tray. Not at home, can't shoot off a photo of what I do for you, but just imagine a seedling starter tray as the base, beer cups, drilled generously at the bottoms, filled with dampened perlite (I NEVER put cuts into completely dry medium, ever, just seems wrong somehow). Now you just flood the tray with water/mild feed solution and wait.

<shrug>

***EDIT***
Damn, you got in before I posted. So, you're cloning in rockwool, no biggie. You already know in what range rockwool performs best, right? Use that info. If I recollect, a pH of 6.0 is a sweet spot for lots of mediums, pH to that.

You've left a lot of leaf material on those cuts, in my opinion. Remember that leaf material = transpiration, which = drying out a bit more quickly. Some folks leave all that leaf, I personally don't. The main reason I have ended up cutting it away and trimming down the ends, though, is because I fill up my trays and I don't want the leaves touching each other or the medium, and I like seeing and accessing the cup tops.

B

biggun4me

And I type slow too... The new clones are in Rapid rooter, I dipped the ends in clonex before I put them in.. I am getting ready to put the big blocks into a 5 gallon bucket with sunshine #4 and perlite mix... I post some pics when I do... Thanks

B

biggun4me

Should I put the cubes into the 5 gallon pot or maybe a 2 gallon to start?

C

cheech

it's always best to move up pot sizes to help get a dense root system.. otherwise they tend to only grow along the outside of the container.

whichever you choose give them some time to spread their roots. you don't want to put them in 5 gallons flip to 12-12 give them a good water then find that two weeks later the container is still saturated. i'd just put them in the final container and let them veg 3 more weeks at least.

420king-MASSES

cheech is right on one hand but the other hand says the less you transplant the less shock the plant suffers i would put them in 5 gallon buckets wait 2 days top/pinch/fim /bend [whatever you choose] and then give the plants 2 weeks to express new root growth as well as bush out depending on what you do[topping/fim/bend/pinch] then place the gals in flower

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gotta say I'm with cheech on this one. Transplanting forces you to do something else--look at those roots. If it is rootbound, just cut them away, up to 1/3 of the total root mass. Pull them apart, then gently lay them out so they're pointed down and away from the main mass.

B

biggun4me

Hey, I went out and picked up a bag of Sunshine #4 and some Perlite.. I added about 25% perlite.. I cut the plastic off and set them on 4" of the mix and covered the sides.. I then watered them with AN 3 part, 30ml of b-52 and 2 1/2 scoops of Great white... I only used 45ml of each of the 3 part instead of what AN say's on their feed chart "78ml" That would of raised my ppm way to high... it was 1100 ppm when I watered.. My tap water is between 120-200 to start... I guess I will leave them in veg and try to top them again, I need to keep the at around 5' max height..
So did I do good? Next time there will be no rockwool involved... Oh ya I watered with the PH at 5.9... Peace, and Thanks

Veg
Veg and clone
Top Bottom