Tree turntable design thread

• Thread starter Carson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Two turn tables and a microphone.

Listening to that track right now...........and yes, I have sourced these turntables (three days of searching and calling suppliers), but I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer that the turntables in question can actually do what they say they can do with regards to live plants.

100 pound, 17" is $240ish, go up to 150 pounds and it's $340ish.

Oh, and they come as 2RPM standard and it's extra money to get them dialed down to 1RPM (like $20, not much).

Might cop one real quick and run it in the empty space in my pentadecagon (15 sides, so there's one empty side) just as a test to see how it does.

C

Carson

Listening to that track right now...........and yes, I have sourced these turntables (three days of searching and calling suppliers), but I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer that the turntables in question can actually do what they say they can do with regards to live plants.

100 pound, 17" is $240ish, go up to 150 pounds and it's $340ish.

Oh, and they come as 2RPM standard and it's extra money to get them dialed down to 1RPM (like $20, not much).

Might cop one real quick and run it in the empty space in my pentadecagon (15 sides, so there's one empty side) just as a test to see how it does.

Vestil mfg makes manual tables, but I have not sent out for prices yet. I think they are in the ballpark of your automated ones.
Will you share your source?

And If JK is reading this, I bet you have a drive solution. :harvest::character0025:

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
is 1 rpm slow enough? seems kind of fast

C

Carson

is 1 rpm slow enough? seems kind of fast

Do you think it will get dizzy?

I do not know, I was thinking that is a good starting point. if the plant is not coming into contact with objects and getting beat up as it rotates, I think it will be ok.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Do you think it will get dizzy?

I do not know, I was thinking that is a good starting point. if the plant is not coming into contact with objects and getting beat up as it rotates, I think it will be ok.

lol it might not make make the plants dizzy but I bet it would make me dizzy

I guess Im thinking in terms of light movers - that would be like a light mover pasisng over the plants 60x per hour

purpleberry

purpleberry

I bet a fan speed controler would work to slow it down as much as you want.

B

Bobby Smith

Honestly, to me the quicker the better (to a point) - being 1' (if not less) away from 2400 watts, I'd think the plant would have trouble processing that much energy if it was focused on one side for any length of time...........I think either 1 or 2 RPM would be perfect.

Purely speculation on my part, but have you seen those new light movers that rotate like a bazillion times per second? RollinEndough (SofaKingHigh) linked to a youtube video of them - supposedly the newest and best thing, and those things rotate like you wouldn't believe.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHcquGHzvJI&sns=em[/YOUTUBE]

C

Carson

lol it might not make make the plants dizzy but I bet it would make me dizzy

I guess Im thinking in terms of light movers - that would be like a light mover pasisng over the plants 60x per hour

I was thinking 4 plants around 1 1000 vert cooltube. Each plant lit overhead by its own 1000.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

All i can say is Good luck. I like idea of less moveing parts. Less things to go wrong or break. I always like the idea behind of it moving it self also.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

When I first came to the farm and saw DD's trees I had the idea of lights moving around the plants. Kinda like a slow moving motor that would rotate two lights around each plant. I think it would be easier to move the lights instead of the plants.

Top Bottom