Trees and Aero

• Thread starter tree farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jjfoo

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I have a question.

If I want to see how HP aero works could I just run a diaphragm and some misters in a chamber to get an idea of what to expect or do I need more equipment. I am willing to forgo the benefits of an accumulator for my first run unless it is considered a must.

C

chennemann

jjfoo - I'm sure you could use a few misters, timer and a diaphragm pump. This would put more wear on the pump obviously.

K

khaoticOrder

Tree farmer, your work is amazing!!!!!! I have run multiple DIY areo units myself. And I have success with them, but every attempt I made to go to a much larger scale has been really problematic. I considered hp systems but didn't seem feasible as "Areo" hasn't really caught on to the extent other hydro systems have and dismissed the idea of hp systems. I should've pioneered like you have.
Anyways, the point is, have you compiled any specs or rough prints as I really want to do this myself. Thanks bro.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
I'm diggin it

I'm enjoying my FHD Plant Tier 64 aeroponic setup! I put tall plants on the bottom row and short on top. This is 4 different strains 2 weeks into flowering.

100 5291

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Hey TF, I really like your post I've been wanting to do HP aero for a while now, in fact my current system was supposed to be hp but I got lazy and opted for lp aero and I'm having great success. I do plan to make the switch to HP but the cost of high psi pump and accumulator tank w/ pressure switch put me off. Soon I will have the space to do a HP aero alongside my lp aero. Please keep us posted.

B

Bobby Smith

Tree, hopefully you're still checking this thread.......

1) Can I have access to your misting test video? It says "private" when I try to view it - I'm "sogbobsmith" over on Youtube (if you need that info).
2) How are the new containers coming along? Love to see them..........so, if I was trying to grow four 1 pound plants, something like a 30 gallon container could work? I'm basing that off of you getting 1.5# from a 22 gallon container, but saying it could've been bigger (lol, "that's what she said").
3) Where are you sourcing pressure tanks from that go up to 230PSI? I know you said overseas before - got a link?
4) What do you feel the minimum distance is from mister to roots for effective misting to take place?
5) How many total solenoids did you have? One per pod? How many misters did each control? How did you stop the runon/drips from the line depressurizing?

Man I love re-reading threads at a later date - so many more "ah hah" moments when I actually understand what you're talking about :)

Thanks again for your help and documenting this for us - hope all's well with you.

EDIT: added more questions.

B

Bloomer

Hi
just starting to grow in aeroponic
will someone tell me what to put in the water please :worried

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Did you have a noticeable difference in your hp run over your past lp runs? JK

Just in case this didn't get answered (haven't read through the thread) ...

when I started growing again (2.5 years ago) I decided to move away from soil. I bought a DWC system with drip heads. No doubt due to the nutes I was using the heads kept clogging. even though it was a 20G tote it was a RPA dealing with changing nutes. I found a thread on fog and tried it on the same grow MAJOR BUST! I then came across spray bars and flipped to that during the same grow, but the heads kept clogging (nutes)... I then came across Pod Racers TAG journal on IC and decided this solved a bunch of my issues. As the journal was started ~ 10 years old, I began researching and came across Reptile Basics. I bought their advanced system, but upgraded to a Aquatec 8800 pump. This pump has not failed and is quiet, though too, loud for sharing a sanctuary. The supplied timer does not cycle deep enough.

I did not have time to do more than incorporate the pump into my spray bar (EXL heads) and within 2 days very positive things were happening to the roots and to the buds. Where I thought I was days from harvest, I wound up going 2 more weeks as the buds kept packing it on- fox tails growing everywhere.

I have been tweaking this system over several grows and journals- posted elsewhere under UN: PetFlora. My system incorporates everything EXCEPT an accumulator. I am still dialing in the times. This grow I went with all DM Gold nutes and am very happy. The organics were clogging my mist heads.

In order to decide what size pod you need to know the plant genetics you will use. A 5 ft tree will grow 5 ft roots- a 55G rain barrel might not be deep enough. Also a 5 ft tree will need a minimum of 24" diameter chamber/pod. During flower a new set of roots begin to grow from the base of the plant. These will look like cheer leader pom poms. A 5 ft tree might develop volleyball size pom poms. The pom poms need sufficient space around for the fogged nutes to fill the pod and fall upon the pom poms. Hope this is clear.

So, like J.Kid, I do want to overly complicate my grow equipment (not that an accum is all that complicated, but still), so if I can get within 20% of the yield, I'm happy. But my rig is for personal use only- 4 plants max at a time. HPA is ideally suited to bushes, SOG and AFs, which I am experimenting with now.

Basically, the way I am doing it now is no more complicated than F&D, but saves a ton on nutes and time saved mixing same for much larger rezs.

hth

D

dingfriesRdone

for sale?

Interested in building one of these and making some money?

J

Jalisco Kid

I never noticed this post until today. I will be running a hp system this fall to test a new aero tank design I have been playing with.I still like my lp @ 60 psi using propagation misters. No clogs. JK
Just in case this didn't get answered (haven't read through the thread) ...

when I started growing again (2.5 years ago) I decided to move away from soil. I bought a DWC system with drip heads. No doubt due to the nutes I was using the heads kept clogging. even though it was a 20G tote it was a RPA dealing with changing nutes. I found a thread on fog and tried it on the same grow MAJOR BUST! I then came across spray bars and flipped to that during the same grow, but the heads kept clogging (nutes)... I then came across Pod Racers TAG journal on IC and decided this solved a bunch of my issues. As the journal was started ~ 10 years old, I began researching and came across Reptile Basics. I bought their advanced system, but upgraded to a Aquatec 8800 pump. This pump has not failed and is quiet, though too, loud for sharing a sanctuary. The supplied timer does not cycle deep enough.

I did not have time to do more than incorporate the pump into my spray bar (EXL heads) and within 2 days very positive things were happening to the roots and to the buds. Where I thought I was days from harvest, I wound up going 2 more weeks as the buds kept packing it on- fox tails growing everywhere.

I have been tweaking this system over several grows and journals- posted elsewhere under UN: PetFlora. My system incorporates everything EXCEPT an accumulator. I am still dialing in the times. This grow I went with all DM Gold nutes and am very happy. The organics were clogging my mist heads.

In order to decide what size pod you need to know the plant genetics you will use. A 5 ft tree will grow 5 ft roots- a 55G rain barrel might not be deep enough. Also a 5 ft tree will need a minimum of 24" diameter chamber/pod. During flower a new set of roots begin to grow from the base of the plant. These will look like cheer leader pom poms. A 5 ft tree might develop volleyball size pom poms. The pom poms need sufficient space around for the fogged nutes to fill the pod and fall upon the pom poms. Hope this is clear.

So, like J.Kid, I do want to overly complicate my grow equipment (not that an accum is all that complicated, but still), so if I can get within 20% of the yield, I'm happy. But my rig is for personal use only- 4 plants max at a time. HPA is ideally suited to bushes, SOG and AFs, which I am experimenting with now.

Basically, the way I am doing it now is no more complicated than F&D, but saves a ton on nutes and time saved mixing same for much larger rezs.

hth

K

Kingofcali

Very informative root issues seem to be the #1
plague of some systems

F

foresakenlion

Tree Farmer, air assisted does look awesome from the Atomix videos, too bad those nozzles are so expensive, though in the future an upgrade might be in order. On that same note it acquires to me if you go air assisted which I think John Guest mentioned a few times, it would do well to do his hydrostatic pump set up as now you've got a number of extra solenoids and pumps. Honestly if I had the $300 to spend on that pump his route was the safest for peace of mind.

And perhaps the limiting factor with growing "Trees" w/ aeroponics is the lack of beneficial microbes, without them producing hormones and other compounds, I do not believe the plant can achieve the absorption ration needed to achieve peak growth.

This is certainly worthy of experimentation, and as for anyone wanting to build a system, the main issue seems to be sourcing pieces for the interconnections, but here is a basic run down

reservoir -> filter -> demand pump -> differental pressure switch w/ gauge for reading -> accumulator tank -> pressure relief valve w/ gauge for reading w/ hose redirected back to reservoir -> Y splitter for misting lines or solenoid(s) -> solenoid(s) or Y splitter then lines -> lines to elbows, tees, straights, w/ misters.

That's the basic rundown, I'm stuck with finding a pressure gauge inline for the pressure switch, and a pressure relief valve and gauge, other than that, my entire system is pretty much diagrammed, once completed if Tree doesn't mind, I'll post it somewhere and he can re-direct people asking questions at that point.

You had a great yield man, you probably used too much nutrient, they recommend using 1/4th your regular dosage. If it wasn't that then it's just playing with what the strain wants.

Thanks for that idea for a root scrog, maybe that would help them grow larger since they would have the equivalent of a canopy for the roots, then you could have sprayers under, and over, hmm interesting concept. Thanks for the read buddy keep up the good work.

T

tree farmer

Tree Farmer, air assisted does look awesome from the Atomix videos, too bad those nozzles are so expensive, though in the future an upgrade might be in order. On that same note it acquires to me if you go air assisted which I think John Guest mentioned a few times, it would do well to do his hydrostatic pump set up as now you've got a number of extra solenoids and pumps. Honestly if I had the $300 to spend on that pump his route was the safest for peace of mind.

And perhaps the limiting factor with growing "Trees" w/ aeroponics is the lack of beneficial microbes, without them producing hormones and other compounds, I do not believe the plant can achieve the absorption ration needed to achieve peak growth.

This is certainly worthy of experimentation, and as for anyone wanting to build a system, the main issue seems to be sourcing pieces for the interconnections, but here is a basic run down

reservoir -> filter -> demand pump -> differental pressure switch w/ gauge for reading -> accumulator tank -> pressure relief valve w/ gauge for reading w/ hose redirected back to reservoir -> Y splitter for misting lines or solenoid(s) -> solenoid(s) or Y splitter then lines -> lines to elbows, tees, straights, w/ misters.

That's the basic rundown, I'm stuck with finding a pressure gauge inline for the pressure switch, and a pressure relief valve and gauge, other than that, my entire system is pretty much diagrammed, once completed if Tree doesn't mind, I'll post it somewhere and he can re-direct people asking questions at that point.

You had a great yield man, you probably used too much nutrient, they recommend using 1/4th your regular dosage. If it wasn't that then it's just playing with what the strain wants.

Thanks for that idea for a root scrog, maybe that would help them grow larger since they would have the equivalent of a canopy for the roots, then you could have sprayers under, and over, hmm interesting concept. Thanks for the read buddy keep up the good work.

here is a video of my AA test rig nozzle firing

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-86be7dab.html

M

mrflamboynt

TF, did you ever get your new setup completed? or other grow results we can see?

S

strawberrywidow

i have a few questions for you, as i am doing a very similar set up just different containers really.

1. What was your overall yield?
2. How long did you veg for and how long did you flower?
2. Did you change the controller based on the growth stage? or did you use the same time setup throughout your entire grow? 2 seconds - 10 minutes (different at night i realize)
3. Is the cooler your rez? I get confused because i can't locate your pump on the first page in the first set of pictures.

thanks appreciate your time, ill try and post some pics when its done, great thread hard to find good info on this.

S

strawberrywidow

nvm about that last question i figured it out, is there a reason why you have it recirculate back to the reservoir other than for mixing purposes? and i must have been smoking something good that night since i seem to have forgotten how to count.

A

andrew

all this info is awesome! I have 2 - 4x8 tents 6.5 ft tall for flowering and am going to add a 4x4 for vegging. i have 2-5 gallon buckets stacked on one another for 1 aero site. i want a total of 3 plants in each flowering tent and 3 in veg all tents 4 weeks apart I need to know where i can order more mist heads I have the pump. any good reccomendations for spray heads?

T

Trichy Bastard

Nice, -I see the biocontrol nozzles up top as well, are they for backup, or did you just add the air assisted nozzles to an old hydraulic chamber? As soon as the silicone dries, I am putting my system online tonight! Many thanks for sharing your knowledge tree farmer...

Top Bottom