Trip to Cali???

• Thread starter Fred
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ncga

ncga

Fred

Sea is right on the 395 drive. I have been know to drive a road or two and finally got to do the 395 drive. WOW is all I can say. The town of Mammoth is also a very nice stop. It's a wide open road but heavily patrolled with radar . Just south of Mammoth there is a down hill stretch that took all I had not to let the Volvo fly. You drop about 2,000 ft in a very short distance.

If you have flown in to SFO from Philadelphia are our south you have flown in over the area. It where you start descending into SFO.

nc

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, but that's hardly a scenic driven from San Fran to 108/120. Yosemite itself is beautiful, the Sierra is beautiful, hell, as far as I'm concerned the foothills are amazingly beautiful. But the in-between stuff is, well, you know, don't you? That's close to 4 hours of driving through the delta. I mean, I like those smaller delta highways, but I don't think this is the kind of scenery Fred's looking for.

Fred, how many days do you plan on driving? You'll be driving close to 4 hours or so just to get from the airport to Yosemite.

You might want to look at a map before you plan it this way or your whole trip could be dedicated to driving only. I suggest picking either a coastal route or a mountain route, and if you go mountain you should know that many passes are not open until June. That said, check out the following route I'm going to give you:

Fly into San Fran, head east towards Tahoe. You may as well hit Lake Tahoe if you're going to drive through Yosemite, it's free (Yosemite is $20/car/motorcycle)(bastards) and it's connected to the only two passes through the mountains that are open this time of year, especially with the weather we've been having.

From there you can either take Hwy 50 to South Lake Tahoe or the more scenic (breathtaking) route of Hwy 88--both passes will take you over the Sierra to 395, which is one of the other most beautiful drives in California (some of it's through Nevada).

Now, from 88, IF you're out here after Monitor Pass is open you should take that from 88. The first time I drove east over Monitor I got vertigo. You have to see it to believe it. Then again, you could drive through Yosemite, if the National Parks are going to do what they did last year and have the parks open for FREE one weekend each month of summer, then go through Tioga Pass.

Otherwise, just head south outta San Fran, down Hwy 1. Know that once you hit Santa Barbara it's not worth the time and trouble to try to stay on the Pacific Highway, it practically disappears once it hits L.A. County.

Seriously, start with a map or you'll spend the rest of your life driving across California. Four hours from the coast to the eastern border, minimum, so that's roughly the trip from San Fran to Yosemite.

I feel I must also say that 395 is one of the most underrated scenic drives in the state. And if you ride, the road is amazingly well-maintained, so you can just open up that throttle and GO.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you're out here almost anytime during the summer you can take all the Sierra passes, Ebbets for instance, and enjoy some amazing scenery through the mountains instead of the coast. You will, however, end up in the Inland Empire (Victorville), very very very east of L.A. and Hollywood.

It would allow a side trip to Mojave, though, if you're so inclined and winter is the best time to visit our deserts.

Been looking at a map. We have 6 days. I was hoping to do a coastal drive mostly but wanted to get a little taste of the mountains as well. That's why Yosemite seemed good. A lot of driving though. I'm not sure. I don't wanna drive all day every day but don't mind spending a couple days driving. Thanks for all your ideas. That 395 sounds like a great drive. I will talk to the wife and see what she thinks. Noted some of the routes and will be looking them up soon...thanks man!

agreed the drive to yosemite is long and boring,, on a limited schedule it may be not worth it as the coast is simply amazing also. lemme kniow when you are coming thru santa cruz I will hook you up(gimme a couple day notice though as my work has me all over the western US)

I will be getting in touch soon. Santa Cruz alone looks killer on the web page....

Fred

Sea is right on the 395 drive. I have been know to drive a road or two and finally got to do the 395 drive. WOW is all I can say. The town of Mammoth is also a very nice stop. It's a wide open road but heavily patrolled with radar . Just south of Mammoth there is a down hill stretch that took all I had not to let the Volvo fly. You drop about 2,000 ft in a very short distance.

If you have flown in to SFO from Philadelphia are our south you have flown in over the area. It where you start descending into SFO.

nc

Sounds fun. The wife won't let me speed though...lol

I'll be doing some more planning this evening thanks to you guys...word up!

fred

winta

winta

fred i think im gonna ride wit u out there ill bring sandwiches and brownies :) lol

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Hell yeah Winta. I remember the way you do food from the other thread. YOUR IN!!!!:giggle

fred

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you can do a real marathon, then you could drive one route south and the other route back up. You won't want to speed through either route and will likely want to make more than a few stops, so that will eat up a good bit of time, but you'll see quite a lot of the state doing it that way.

This time of year, though, definitely watch the weather if you're serious about 395. The coldest weather I have ever experienced was on 395, well north of Bishop, and we logged -12F. That trip took a very long time home (L.A. area back to SLT) because the traffic was controlled through that area, CHP took groups through at 35mph up to... jeez, I wanna say Minden or something like that. I was glad I had many bowls to burn.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds good but we have to spend some time in LA with a friend and thats gonna eat up 2 of the 6 days we have. We decided to visit Cali every year for the next 5 years so we could try and see it all.

fred

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I remember the cabbie going 90 to get us to the hotel when I last visited Cali. It was a ride for sure. Not to worry though I am an accurate driver and experienced road race car driver. I am ready. Been looking at cars and it's a shit load more to rent in San Fran and return in LA.

Know of any good Car rentals in LA? A pimp ass ride for the couple days in San Fran. Maybe a day trip to Muir Woods and over to Sonoma, Napa and then back around to San Fran at night????

Any more suggestions???

Any favorite resturants and/or food chains.

fred

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'd do the inet thing to get a good deal on rentals. It's always more expensive to rent in one location and return at another, even if it's in-state.

As far as food... It's been too many years since I left LA and I don't know the Bay area. Ain't nothin' around here worthy of mention.

P.S. The "Cali driver" thing is specific to the big city areas and the main arteries. Everywhere else they just drive like fucking idiots. Like the flatlanders who come up here and INSIST on staying in the God damned passing lane going under the speed limit. Listen up you stupid fucks--it's called a passing lane for a REASON. They're called turn-outs for a REASON, and you're supposed to use them for a REASON. Stay in the God damned right lane!

Sorry, I live very close to 88 and this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
:hi: Fred>>>I would be inclined to check out gold country:)It's a beautiful part of the country that I just recently have been experiencing>>>I wouldn't go back to the city if I was payed to lol.

:passingjoint:

gtd

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, then perhaps not too far from me. :)

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I'll come see you guys....look for some gold...lol :mysterymachine:

Great to see ya around GTD.

How far is Gold Country from San Fran? Can I make it over there and back in a day from San Fran or is it too much?

fred

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Its doable Fred>>>about 3.5-4 hour drive:) You would have to set out early:)

gtd

S

Sway

Come over to gold country...its amazing here... Dude just found a 9 pound gold nugget in Nevada city a few days ago...

There's gold in them hills!

F

FileError404

Landscape in Cali is beautiful almost anywhere... but as a foodie I would hit Napa Valley. Drive less, eat, drink and smoke more :D

Either way, have a great time!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ha! That's a good one. Took some balls.

Drivers in California do not grasp that the left lane is for passing. They just get in the far left lane and stay there, damn everyone else. It's one thing on a 6-lane freeway, but up here it's two-lane mountain roads with a few passing lanes. We have to share the road with cattle trucks, hay trucks, log trucks, and tourists. They're *all* a pain in the ass.

And then summer riding season comes and every weekend there's at least one rider who "failed to negotiate the curve".
Come over to gold country...its amazing here... Dude just found a 9 pound gold nugget in Nevada city a few days ago...

Are you shitting us? I knew folks still had claims, but holy GOD! Betcha that poor guy's gonna have people coming out of the woodwork hitting him up for cash now. Got a link to a story perchance?

Edit: I found one.
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=80576

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Its doable Fred>>>about 3.5-4 hour drive:) You would have to set out early:)

gtd

Not a problem. I can't sleep anyway. I'll be up early and ready rock!

Done! I'm getting on the map tonight. Maybe I'll find a nugget of my own. 9 pounds. For christ sake thats a big nugget.

Landscape in Cali is beautiful almost anywhere... but as a foodie I would hit Napa Valley. Drive less, eat, drink and smoke more :D

Either way, have a great time!

Thanks fileError404. I will be sure to get a meal in Napa. Hell i'm gonna eat, and smoke like a chimney while driving in Napa.....whooo...lol Maybe have some drinks after I get settled for the night....don't wanna get thrown in jail my first day in Cali....:surprised

Rosco's Chicken and waffles in HollyWood. O...O....O.... Dog Bills YOU GOTTA GO TO BILLS. This guys has the BEST F"N HAMBURGERS ON THE PLANET. I wanna say the spot is in burbank. Its right next to a carpet store. The guy has a little shed tipe deal on the corner that he slangs burgers out of THEY ARE THE BEST. The amazon in Sherman Oaks is real good if your looking for fancy sit down. Then there was this other place in Holly wood that had some bom ass wings. It was a sports bar type deal. But I dont remember the name. IT was something wild. Man just thinking about it got me hungry. If my car could make it and I had 2k I would leave RIGHT NOW. Just to go get some good cali grub. lol I'm So serious.

Dude I almost forgot about Rosco's Chicken and Waffles.....done! Will be looking out for Dog Bills and Sherman Oaks too. I'll be staying in Burbank with a friend for a night. I'm sure she'll know where it is.

Feeling the Cali love. Thanks for all the help.

Fred

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Only a few weeks left and it's on Cali style. I can't wait to get there and score my first Cali buds. I'll be a begger not chooser so who knows how that will go. I'll probably BYOB. I know it's like taking sand to the beach but being without is not an option. I'll be taking the laptop and logging on. I've been on here every day since Dec. 4 and aint gonna kid myself into thinking I won't want to....lol

Hope the weather is nice that week.

Looking for hotels in San Fran and Santa Cruz. Any suggestions.

fred

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As I sit here waiting for yet another storm to roll in, I sure hope this all clears up for your trip.

No suggestions on hotels... wait... there's a place in Alameda I stayed at called The Marina Hotel. It was a nice room, great rates, near the water and freeways. We liked it, but I can't remember how I found it. Hotels dot com I think.

M

MASSES 420KING

looks like your gonna make it out there before me fred suppost to be going in late june or july make sure you set up state residency at your friends address go get a state id go get med card go get the bud pick with your eyes and your sent its really that easy it should be done in the first day or so many people holed duel residency in seperate states its completly legal

Top Bottom