Trouble Finding A Job, I'd Love Some Advice

• Thread starter Kaskadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kaskadian

Kaskadian

I would like to apologize to everyone if I came across as being a whiny asshole. I'm really feeling this pressure, and it's starting to get to me.

@MrBelvedere I just thought I'd toss this out there; I've applied to lots of different positions brother. I mentioned before that I'm not above working any job. The main concern that I have is finding one that provides insurance. Unfortunately, I don't have the money necessary to cover the medical costs of having a child without insurance. 75% of the jobs I've applied to are entry level asking only a high school diploma; these have ranged from food service, custodial, etc. I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way, that wasn't my intent. I've got a kid on the way, and I'm in "panic mode". I don't mind being poor, but I have to provide at least the bare minimum for this kid. The bare minimum in my eyes includes health insurance, food, clothing, etc.

@Seamaiden Thanks for the kind words. A few of the reasons I have advantages in China are because my wife is a Chinese national, her dad owns his own business there, her mom is a professor, and I speak some Mandarin having spent quite a few years inside of China already. Her parents have a lot of business connections through their work, and her mom in particular seems to be able to easily find me work as many Chinese are learning English for business/educational reasons.

I'll definitely take a look at some of the European countries. My wife's hometown is literally driving distance from Russia, and I'm willing to look at all available options. I'll take a look at a few different options, maybe I can ask her family about import/export companies based out West or in Europe.

@alaskind Brother if I can get hired on at McDonald's I'd gladly take it. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll see if I can get hired on there or any entry level job like that. One problem that I'm dealing with now is being out of state. I think a lot of these companies don't want to bother hiring someone in out of state when the have a line of people coming in for interviews that live within walking distance of the facility.

@pinegrovedave Thanks for the suggestion brother. I was actually ready to go with the military until a car accident got me medically DQ'd. I had filled out all my paperwork with the Air Force, and was waiting for the next available opening for BMT (basic military training); I had signed up for 1C1X1 (Air Traffic Control), after my accident I had to get a medical waiver and after waiting and waiting (and some more waiting) it never came around. I'm not trying to make excuses, I think I would have loved the military, it just didn't happen. Unfortunately the military is downsizing and they don't really want to bother with people that would need a medical waiver. :(

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

If my brother can be an HR hiring cord for a large oil completion firm like oxy you can too ...with your education you would probably find a desk quickly safety or something along those lines if they like you. Long hours not good for the children or your relationship with the wife but you could make 80-130k your first year in the oil patch.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

Why work at mcdonalds or the service they'll take anyone and the pay reflects that ....move out of your comfort zone go to North Dakota pound the flesh sell yourself and get your 80k+ year a year oil job it's really not that difficult I did it in west texas but they are bust from what I'm reading and from what my boys in Odessa/midland are telling me down to 25 hours a week that's pretty lean you make your money in overtime in the patch at least I did. Have you thought about getting your cdl drivers are always in demand in the patch and it's pretty easy to get I got edd to pay for mine in 2007

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
my son in law is goin through the same shit,4 year degree,kid on the way,pushin carts at costco and working for me to pay bills.costco just told him they are moving him to majors/electronics so at least he will kinda be doin something in his field(computers).nobody wants to hire full time right now because our boy obama made it so the employer must take it up the ass from day one with new full time employees,reason why all my guys are "part time" lol.the job market will pick back up if we can just make it to a dif president and rework this silly health care bill.or we can elect Billary and have 4 more years of this awesomeness
what about putting your name at a temp service,sometimes they can place you at a good company for a few weeks and that company might see your work and hire you full time.its worth a shot.28 years ago i was in the same spot man,2nd kid on the way and i was forced to take a second job slingin pizzas whick turned out to be a decent part time job as a manager until my other job saw how hard i was working and gave me a raise to stay put.good luck on the search and an early congrats on the child.peace

LOL at "Billary" !!!! hahahha!

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

Have you contacted the hospital where you are planning to have the baby? Some of them have charitable organizations that will help cover medical costs and even help you with getting the 'baby basics' if you don't have them already.

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

One problem that I'm dealing with now is being out of state. I think a lot of these companies don't want to bother hiring someone in out of state when the have a line of people coming in for interviews that live within walking distance of the facility.

Ehhhh - very true. I lost an advanced composites career with Boeing to work on the 787 based on that ^ ^ and they said as much - literally. I still remember it - it was exactly 3:24 p.m. my time (est), April 17, 2013... and mannnn I felt crushed.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Why work at mcdonalds or the service they'll take anyone and the pay reflects that ....move out of your comfort zone go to North Dakota pound the flesh sell yourself and get your 80k+ year a year oil job it's really not that difficult I did it in west texas but they are bust from what I'm reading and from what my boys in Odessa/midland are telling me down to 25 hours a week that's pretty lean you make your money in overtime in the patch at least I did. Have you thought about getting your cdl drivers are always in demand in the patch and it's pretty easy to get I got edd to pay for mine in 2007

This is an option right here. I also did this for a while, and the money is no joke. If you get on a maintenance rig, doing well completions and work overs on a pulling unit, or find a swab rig to jump on you'll have steady work. Drilling has slowed significantly, even was when I was still down there a little over a year ago. But on the swab unit we were slammed. Working 88+ hour weeks raking in the dough. Long hours and hard work but you can build a good nest egg quickly out there in West Texas. North Dakota is having a boom right now too though, the reserve they found up there is seemingly endless.

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

I want to thank all of you for all the great suggestions, advice, and kind words. I will be looking into other areas of work such as oil jobs, and additional entry level options.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I Can only share what I have done for me once I left the Military after 22 years
I was a bit lost and Had No idea what the where for or how to even look at getting a job
I shuffled for months And the best job I got was as a walk in and a word with the owner of a small print shop
I told him I would work for free for 30 days
If he liked what I did or how I conducted myself then we could talk about a paycheck
He was so Impressed by my desire to work for Him for nothing before the end of the 2nd week I was on the payroll at 17.25 hr as a press operator. and I would have still been working there if he had not passed away....

I know every one is different and not all the training or education is the same All I was trying to offer is this, If a man wants a job working for me and steps up offering something MORE than the guy next to him Well I will be hiring the man or woman who steps up in front ..
There is still a lot to be said about eye to eye and a hand shake to go with that emailed resume.
I wish you all the Positive Job finding Vibes I can
FlyJ

Top Bottom