Trying to set up for successful 1st grow

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panhead59

Panhead59

New grower here. Actually haven't started yet. Just getting "set up". Mars 2000 kit supposed to be here thurs. 4/29/21. Got happy frog soil, seeds on the way, getting everything ready. Feminized cbd ac/dc seeds to help with wife's fibromyalgia pain. Oh yeah she can be the pain to..... but that's another story !!!! 1st of a gazillion ?'s - I'll be using well water. I got some testing strips like the ones used for pool water testing. Ph is around 6.4-6.6. I've read 7.0 is ideal. Total alkalinity is approx. 30. 60-90 best for my type soil. I know ya'll know these perimeters, just showing u I do my homework and don't take your time/knowledge lightly. I really appreciate any and all help !!! So is this test method adequate and what to do to get my water closer to "guildlines"? Tks

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

New grower here. Actually haven't started yet. Just getting "set up". Mars 2000 kit supposed to be here thurs. 4/29/21. Got happy frog soil, seeds on the way, getting everything ready. Feminized cbd ac/dc seeds to help with wife's fibromyalgia pain. Oh yeah she can be the pain to..... but that's another story !!!! 1st of a gazillion ?'s - I'll be using well water. I got some testing strips like the ones used for pool water testing. Ph is around 6.4-6.6. I've read 7.0 is ideal. Total alkalinity is approx. 30. 60-90 best for my type soil. I know ya'll know these perimeters, just showing u I do my homework and don't take your time/knowledge lightly. I really appreciate any and all help !!! So is this test method adequate and what to do to get my water closer to "guildlines"? Tks
Hi @Panhead59! Just another noob here, also learning to grow for medical users in my family. Good luck with your first grow! I won't be too far behind.

Panhead59

Panhead59

wish you both to enjoy your journey
we are here to help as much as we can
Yeah the Medical strain of ac/dc had the highest cbd concentration i could find. Gotta make sure it's the medical one though, as i think there is also a "regular " ac/dc strain. Trying to treat chronic pain, oils etc not working.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yeah the Medical strain of ac/dc had the highest cbd concentration i could find. Gotta make sure it's the medical one though, as i think there is also a "regular " ac/dc strain. Trying to treat chronic pain, oils etc not working.
Ok let me answer one of my ?'s myself. Water test by a pro. Culligan's will do it for free, and close to me. I'll post results in a couple of days and go from there !!!

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ok let me answer one of my ?'s myself. Water test by a pro. Culligan's will do it for free, and close to me. I'll post results in a couple of days and go from there !!!
Got results from Culligan water test.
TDS= 40
Hardness= 1gpg (hard)
PH = 5.9
Iron, Copper, Chlorine, Nitrates = 0

Are the ph plus and minus additives i see for water or soil ? Anything else needed here besides adjusting ph ? Using FF happy frog soil.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Ph additives are to adjust your water or nutrient solution. Seems like your on the right track. Good luck

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ph additives are to adjust your water or nutrient solution. Seems like your on the right track. Good luck
Tks. Tent kit comes tomorrow. Will set everything up this weekend. Then i guess next step is to get right temp. And rh correct inside tent. Better to get squared away (Marine Corps term !! Oooh rah) before hand instead of panicking after planting. Trying to be patient but will admit to be excited/anxious to get started. Seems like a good forum. Not too many BIG egos arguing !!!!

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Good info in the link at the bottom of that post. There’s a better way to post links but I don’t know it I’m kinda new also sorry lol. Thank you for your service also!

Panhead59

Panhead59

Good info in the link at the bottom of that post. There’s a better way to post links but I don’t know it I’m kinda new also sorry lol. Thank you for your service also!
U r welcome. So what i gather from that link is I really don't have to worry/monitor ph WITH THE SOIL I Am USING, since it,s (ph) being adjusted by the soil itself. Correct ?

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Well It’s less important to be precise. Your ph on your water is pretty good mine is higher so I still adjust it some. Still wouldn’t hurt to check the ph of you nutes after you mix everything and I would still check the run off occasionally also. That way if you were to be developing a problem like salt build up you would catch it early. Attention to detail is most important.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Well It’s less important to be precise. Your ph on your water is pretty good mine is higher so I still adjust it some. Still wouldn’t hurt to check the ph of you nutes after you mix everything and I would still check the run off occasionally also. That way if you were to be developing a problem like salt build up you would catch it early. Attention to detail is most important.
Ok so any suggestions on a decent ppm and ph meter ?

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Unfortunately u get what u pay for as far as meters are concerned. Bluelab is what most folks use but they are expensive aspera is another brand I’ve heard good things about. Proper storage is important if you want ph/ppm meters to last. Happy to help no problem!

Panhead59

Panhead59

Unfortunately u get what u pay for as far as meters are concerned. Bluelab is what most folks use but they are expensive aspera is another brand I’ve heard good things about. Proper storage is important if you want ph/ppm meters to last. Happy to help no problem!
10 4 tks. You've been a big help today. I really appreciate it. I'm 63 yrs
Old and getting info in today's world is soooooo much easier !!!!!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
growing are ya😁
remember less is more..
don’t water too frequently, at first water with a spray bottle for seedlings..
don’t over mother her!
come here before doing anything, we’ll get you on a successful start.
i see fox farm for soil, i’ve read lots on here that soil can be “hot” for young seedlings..
not sure if you can “wash out” some nutrients before using?
someone may know..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
growing are ya😁
remember less is more..
don’t water too frequently, at first water with a spray bottle for seedlings..
don’t over mother her!
come here before doing anything, we’ll get you on a successful start.
i see fox farm for soil, i’ve read lots on here that soil can be “hot” for young seedlings..
not sure if you can “wash out” some nutrients before using?
someone may know..
also there’s a million ways to germinate.,
one easy way is to get a glass and use hydrogen peroxide and tap water.
depending on what you get if you do it this way h2o2 comes in different strengths,
so the strength of the mix should be roughly 5-10% strength put seed/s in cup for 8- 10 hrs. don’t worry if they don’t sink! actually a good thing with a peroxide mix..
have a peat pellet soaking in the same mixture separately to expand the pellet, take out rip off net get cup with soil small hole in center, make a small bed of peat, place seed when ready, can use a spoon to get out with a little water, place on bed and cover lightly with peat and soil, done.. should be up within 3-4 days max if not earlier and the seed never got touched by human hand at all..

basically do clones the same way, just use a deeper hole and more peat, after you dip your clone in gel or powder stick in cup and place more soil around her.,
two of the best and easiest, successful ways

Panhead59

Panhead59

also there’s a million ways to germinate.,
one easy way is to get a glass and use hydrogen peroxide and tap water.
depending on what you get if you do it this way h2o2 comes in different strengths,
so the strength of the mix should be roughly 5-10% strength put seed/s in cup for 8- 10 hrs. don’t worry if they don’t sink! actually a good thing with a peroxide mix..
have a peat pellet soaking in the same mixture separately to expand the pellet, take out rip off net get cup with soil small hole in center, make a small bed of peat, place seed when ready, can use a spoon to get out with a little water, place on bed and cover lightly with peat and soil, done.. should be up within 3-4 days max if not earlier and the seed never got touched by human hand at all..

basically do clones the same way, just use a deeper hole and more peat, after you dip your clone in gel or powder stick in cup and place more soil around her.,
two of the best and easiest, successful ways
Ok tks

Panhead59

Panhead59

Is the humidifier supposed to "spew" mist on plants ? I certainly wouldn't think so. Maybe they make em that don't mist. Haven't seen any. And one wouldn't want standing water anywhere. So what's up with that ? Same for heater- i guess just aim that away from plants ? I'll start with 4 plants in a 4x4x80 tent. 300 watt (yeah I've learned that's pretty wimpy but hopefully it'll do ok for my needs/wants). Mars 2000 kit. 2 cbd heavy medical ac/dc for wife's pain and 2 Acapulco gold just for practice, unless suggested I start with all the same for a more "baseline" learning experience. Yeah I'm over thinking this Aren't I !!!!!

Top Bottom