Trying to set up for successful 1st grow

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panhead59

Panhead59

Is the humidifier supposed to "spew" mist on plants ? I certainly wouldn't think so. Maybe they make em that don't mist. Haven't seen any. And one wouldn't want standing water anywhere. So what's up with that ? Same for heater- i guess just aim that away from plants ? I'll start with 4 plants in a 4x4x80 tent. 300 watt (yeah I've learned that's pretty wimpy but hopefully it'll do ok for my needs/wants). Mars 2000 kit. 2 cbd heavy medical ac/dc for wife's pain and 2 Acapulco gold just for practice, unless suggested I start with all the same for a more "baseline" learning experience. Yeah I'm over thinking this Aren't I !!!!!
All feminized seeds

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

10 4 tks. You've been a big help today. I really appreciate it. I'm 63 yrs
Old and getting info in today's world is soooooo much easier !!!!!
Use litmus paper instead of a pH meter. More than adequate for our purposes. Cheap. Never needs calibration.

Spend the money on a good EC meter. Hanna makes reference lab quality instruments used around the world. More affordable than Blue and every bit as good. Buy the calibration solutions with the meter. Buy individual sachets. Bottles are cheaper but expire about 30 days after opening.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Ive got my tent in my closet in my room, there is just a curtain covering the opening of the closet. I keep my room in upper 60s, lately have been having to set dehumidifier closer to the intake on the tent, where earlier in grow I just maintained the RH in the whole room.

Its probably going to be something you have to play with in your environment youre creating. With the LED I recommend a higher temp maybe around 80-82f. Get plenty of those cheap digital temp/RH gauges and set them around.

Seems like youve done some reading, youre well on youre way

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ok I got Mars tent. I'M IMPRESSED WITH QUALITY. Will have to finish installation tomorrow. But here's a REAL dumb ? There's plenty of inlet/outlet holes, but which ones and how many do u leave open for fresh air ? And then how is it dark if you've got "vents" open ? I guess the room that the tent is in has to be completely dark. Right ? In my case that won't be an issue.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ok I got Mars tent. I'M IMPRESSED WITH QUALITY. Will have to finish installation tomorrow. But here's a REAL dumb ? There's plenty of inlet/outlet holes, but which ones and how many do u leave open for fresh air ? And then how is it dark if you've got "vents" open ? I guess the room that the tent is in has to be completely dark. Right ? In my case that won't be an issue.
I'm aiming to get all set up and running this wkend. Get temp and rh within range and stable. Seeds expected on monday !!!!!!

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Before you start messing with your heat, realize that your new lights are going to bump your temps up some. 65 degrees should be just fine for lights off. I fix my "total dark" issue by keeping my vents closed at night and attaching ducting to both my intake and outflow fans. I cover the ends with nylon stocking material to prevent bugs, dust etc. Light will have a hard time traveling through the ducts. Best of luck!

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I do something similar with my bottom intake ducts. I used cut to size black charcoal filter cloth. Work fantastic. You can also just make a loop with the duct work and light can’t travel around the bend bud other stuff can

Panhead59

Panhead59

I do something similar with my bottom intake ducts. I used cut to size black charcoal filter cloth. Work fantastic. You can also just make a loop with the duct work and light can’t travel around the bend bud other stuff can
Ok thanks for info. Got tent set up and letting everything run to see what I've got regarding temp/rh. Set mars 2000 (300w) light at 2 ft. Above soil and adjusted lux reading for seedlings. Rec. Seeds. Put 2 in water. Went to bottom after a couple hrs. I then questioned myself about whether the water glass should be in darkness or not. One seed company said not to soak seeds and germinate directly in soil. So after about 6 hrs. In water, I planted them. I don't know who to listen to since there are so many varying opinions on how to grow. Everything from germinating to final drying !!! Guess ones own experience is the key. Read/research a lot and take your best shot I guess. I'll try to upload some pics. Wish me luck. At 63, I'm behind on this computer stuff !!!

20210430 212956
20210430 212816
20210430 212742
20210430 213038
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ok thanks for info. Got tent set up and letting everything run to see what I've got regarding temp/rh. Set mars 2000 (300w) light at 2 ft. Above soil and adjusted lux reading for seedlings. Rec. Seeds. Put 2 in water. Went to bottom after a couple hrs. I then questioned myself about whether the water glass should be in darkness or not. One seed company said not to soak seeds and germinate directly in soil. So after about 6 hrs. In water, I planted them. I don't know who to listen to since there are so many varying opinions on how to grow. Everything from germinating to final drying !!! Guess ones own experience is the key. Read/research a lot and take your best shot I guess. I'll try to upload some pics. Wish me luck. At 63, I'm behind on this computer stuff !!!
you should be good with your germination.,
are they autos? or photos?

Panhead59

Panhead59

you should be good with your germination.,
are they autos? or photos?
Photos. Medical cbd ac/dc. Supposed to receive acopulco gold and white something (i am an idiot sometimes, can't remember ×=<_ !!!) Seeds today in mail. All photos. Think I'll go with 2 ac/dc, and one each of others for 1st grow. Are 3 gal. Pots (fabric) big enough for final size ? I thought they were gonna be 6 gal. But they r not. Using ffhf soil. Tks.

derkaderk

derkaderk

3 gal is plenty big enough for your space. I would recommend looking into “mainlining” for a growing technique. With such small space to flower you definitely want them producing the biggest buds on the smallest plants possible.

also biggest thing is to relax!

I remember some of my first grows I flipped out on all kinds of stuff, thinking I had lock out, mites, you name the problem, and I’m sure I thought I had it. I’ve done so many now, that I do water only super soil with no ph check on water, no bottled nutes. All beneficial bugs, soaps, teas, drenches, no crazy pesticides.

biggest thing to realize....there are tons of ways to grow. None of them are the “right” way....it’s all about finding what works for you. Keep asking questions and paying attention to the plants as they grow.

One thing I will warn you about is that drip tray may be difficult to empty and keep clean as the plants get bigger. A solution I’ve used in the past, is to water each plant 8oz. Of water, every 15 minutes, until runoff is visible. This keeps you from watering too quickly and creating dry pockets in the soil. Watering slowly helps to evenly disperse the moisture throughout the soil. I also generally only need to water every 3 days. The plants need a sufficient “dry cycle” to grow their root mass quickly and strong. The dryness causes the plant to generate more root fibers to search for more water. Obviously you don’t want to take it too far and dry it out to the point of wilting, but the bag should be much lighter between watering. I hope that makes sense.

Panhead59

Panhead59

3 gal is plenty big enough for your space. I would recommend looking into “mainlining” for a growing technique. With such small space to flower you definitely want them producing the biggest buds on the smallest plants possible.

also biggest thing is to relax!

I remember some of my first grows I flipped out on all kinds of stuff, thinking I had lock out, mites, you name the problem, and I’m sure I thought I had it. I’ve done so many now, that I do water only super soil with no ph check on water, no bottled nutes. All beneficial bugs, soaps, teas, drenches, no crazy pesticides.

biggest thing to realize....there are tons of ways to grow. None of them are the “right” way....it’s all about finding what works for you. Keep asking questions and paying attention to the plants as they grow.

One thing I will warn you about is that drip tray may be difficult to empty and keep clean as the plants get bigger. A solution I’ve used in the past, is to water each plant 8oz. Of water, every 15 minutes, until runoff is visible. This keeps you from watering too quickly and creating dry pockets in the soil. Watering slowly helps to evenly disperse the moisture throughout the soil. I also generally only need to water every 3 days. The plants need a sufficient “dry cycle” to grow their root mass quickly and strong. The dryness causes the plant to generate more root fibers to search for more water. Obviously you don’t want to take it too far and dry it out to the point of wilting, but the bag should be much lighter between watering. I hope that makes sense.
Great post ! Thank you very much. I've got a 2x4 pc. Of wood undet far end of that drip tray so excess watet can roll to near side. I will then remove with wet/dry vac. Hope that works. Yeah, I've been reading a ton lately. It's fun and interesting though. Now it's planting time and learning to read the plants. Tks everyone for your help. It instills a little confidence for this noobie.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Great post ! Thank you very much. I've got a 2x4 pc. Of wood undet far end of that drip tray so excess watet can roll to near side. I will then remove with wet/dry vac. Hope that works. Yeah, I've been reading a ton lately. It's fun and interesting though. Now it's planting time and learning to read the plants. Tks everyone for your help. It instills a little confidence for this noobie.
Update- my two medical ac/dc seeds are now 1" seedlings. Look normal. White widow just breaking the soil surface. Acapulco gold seed is planted and cracked open but that's it. Those 4 are what I'll do my 1st grow. Installed mini oil radiator type heater. Set at 80. 65 wasn't going to do the job. RH dropped with the heat. I"ll confiscate a humidifier from wife !!! That'll be her contribution for her medical ac/dc !!!! So, can the mist touch plants, or just angle to the side ? And 2nd ? - I've got mars 2000 (300 watt I believe) led light 2 ft. Away from seedlings, lux at 5k. Should I drop light a little or leave it ? I'm concerned about unnecessary stretch. Thank you it's do or die now !!!!!!

Panhead59

Panhead59

Update- my two medical ac/dc seeds are now 1" seedlings. Look normal. White widow just breaking the soil surface. Acapulco gold seed is planted and cracked open but that's it. Those 4 are what I'll do my 1st grow. Installed mini oil radiator type heater. Set at 80. 65 wasn't going to do the job. RH dropped with the heat. I"ll confiscate a humidifier from wife !!! That'll be her contribution for her medical ac/dc !!!! So, can the mist touch plants, or just angle to the side ? And 2nd ? - I've got mars 2000 (300 watt I believe) led light 2 ft. Away from seedlings, lux at 5k. Should I drop light a little or leave it ? I'm concerned about unnecessary stretch. Thank you it's do or die now !!!!!!
I've got a IRed temp gun I use on my hotrods, same tool I've seen mentioned here? Better to take leave temp instead of room (tent) temp. ?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Stay high with your light. Easier to lower and stop stretch than dealing with light burn/bleaching.

Humidifier mist should be directed away from the plants and keep your dew point in mind. Suggest using a VPD chart.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Ir temp gun is perfect. Proper leaf temp is 78 I believe but I don’t know if you will be able to do that with an Led without getting it too close since they don’t put out a ton of heat. I think as long as you get your tent temp close you will be fine. Doesn’t have to be perfect. Also low humidity during veg isn’t a huge problem just causes slightly slower growth. I think once you get you pots watered in and the plants begin to transpire you won’t need a humidifier. High humidity during flower is a huge problem and can ruin everything with mold and mildew.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Echoing the humidity thing. Hobo is on the ball. I've read about all the problems that low humidity can cause. I live in the high desert in OR where our RH is between 30 and 40 on any given day of the year and I've seen nary a one of the dismal predictions. I also would have absolutely no idea what powdery mildew looks like if I didn't have friends in low places.

Top Bottom