Twelve inch Inline, way to loud!

• Thread starter cali2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cali2

Im settin up a room, using a twelve inch inline fan for outtake. Shit sounds like a n F'n jet engine.I was thinkin makin somthing like a speaker box to mount it in heavily insulated, whatcha guys think? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, this noise problem is the only thing keepin me from turnin the lights on for this new project.

N

northern monsta

12" fan

hey there buddy got a few tips for you as i have a 12 inch fan and its QUITE, ok so mine was loud just how you described what i done is get a carbon filter they weigh a ton but they take alot of noise away also the straighter your ducting the less the motor works also makes it quieter, so if possible straighten ducting also acoustic ducting helps take some of noise away thats all i done and it sorted the noise out

B

boxmunch9

Do you have a filter? I didnt see one mentioned, that kills alot of noise, i use accoustic blankets and wrapp the fan and the ducting up until my duct muffler, its kills 90% of the noise. I staple the blankets against the wall behind my fan also to soak up and extra noise. If for some reason your not using a filter, which i hope you are, a ductmuffler works stuck on the end of a fan also. I dont mount mine on the ceiling or walls either i think its to unbalanced and vibrates. i just stand a 14in mountain air filter up, put a 14inch to 12 inch reducer, then the 12 vortex, 12 inch elbow out the room, and my room floor is covered in gym to absord any other sounds from floor fans to air pumps ect, also great for crawling around easy on the knees. My room is ultra quiet ,that was my biggest paranoia as well

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
For my grow room op. I use 2 12 inch Elicent inline fans..
The key is Elicent brand, that and insulated ducting is also important.. Purrs like a kitten.. Anything else you are gonna get that airplane turbine effect.. which is unacceptable for your grow. lol
The Elicent inline fans are a lil on the pricey side but well worth the investment..
GTD

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

its good to give inline fans a drop of oil on the moving bits can usually cut out a bit of the noise

Peace

N$

C

cali2

Thanks for the replies, Im somewhat high right now.LOL I'll get more details tommorow, and try to explain my situation better. The ideas already posted are probably all I need but if you guys wanna help me go in to detail I'm not gonna turn it down. Thanks

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Another cheap and easy way is to use carpet padding... You can usually get it for free from the interior flooring stores dumpsters....

B

boxmunch9

Elicent inline fans are super silent i have one in my other room

S

skunkypaul

carbon filters and insulated ducting is the way forward my friend:handshake

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
I've got a 10" can max with a can filter 150 that also sounded like a jet engine. I wrapped it and the ductwork in insulation that has plastic sheeting on it, taped off all the joints with the aluminum tape to stop any whistling noise. Very quiet now.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
PDR_0198.jpg

I have just really been sold on Elicent for about 5 years. Stealth is very key to me. I cant have buzzing or humming happening being heard outside the house lol.
I am using 2 of them 1 for intake and 1 for my outtake. Once the insulated ducting is slapped on its whisper quite.. I just wish they werent so damn expensive. :afroweed:

M

Mountain

For my grow room op. I use 2 12 inch Elicent inline fans..
The key is Elicent brand, that and insulated ducting is also important.. Purrs like a kitten.. Anything else you are gonna get that airplane turbine effect.. which is unacceptable for your grow. lol
The Elicent inline fans are a lil on the pricey side but well worth the investment..
GTD
Basically word. I love Elicent fans. Had a 12" in the attic for an exhaust and could not hear it in the room inside the house right underneath it. You also could not hear anything outside underneath the exhaust vent area on the side of the house and there was about a 20' run from the fan to tha vent and simple duct, not insulated, no muffler, no wrapping of the fan. Had a friend install a 12" Vortex and nasty noise...replaced with an Elicent and all was good.

Bottom line is it comes down to the volume of air moving through a particular sized housing. Elicent 8" and 10" fans use the exact same sized housing yet the 10" has that jet turbine noise thing going on.

Recently looked at the Can Max or something like that and the 12" and 14" move the same amount of air yet the 14" is quieter...go figure?

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Basically word. I love Elicent fans. Had a 12" in the attic for an exhaust and could not hear it in the room inside the house right underneath it. You also could not hear anything outside underneath the exhaust vent area on the side of the house and there was about a 20' run from the fan to tha vent and simple duct, not insulated, no muffler, no wrapping of the fan. Had a friend install a 12" Vortex and nasty noise...replaced with an Elicent and all was good.

Bottom line is it comes down to the volume of air moving through a particular sized housing. Elicent 8" and 10" fans use the exact same sized housing yet the 10" has that jet turbine noise thing going on.

Recently looked at the Can Max or something like that and the 12" and 14" move the same amount of air yet the 14" is quieter...go figure?

Wow even quieter, Im all ears lol. I might have to look at them gimmicks.. :passingjoint:

S

Skunkenstein

go to www.controlwizardproducts.com Check out the Speedster.You do not need your fans running at Max all day long.You can dial in your room to perfection and really cut down on noise and save electricity aswell.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
go to www.controlwizardproducts.com Check out the Speedster.You do not need your fans running at Max all day long.You can dial in your room to perfection and really cut down on noise and save electricity aswell.

yeah in one of my grow tents I have this exact same speed control hooked up to my elicent inline

I have it turned down a s midge

og dmc

og dmc

the duct muflers help. You can make your own easily though. Clean set up green thumb. nice

M

Mountain

Yes duct mufflers do help and have used them (actually built a few myself). The Can Max, or whatever it's called, 14" is quieter than the Can Max 12" with both moving the same volume of air. Didn't mean to include, if it was interpreted that way, the Elicent 12" in that part of the discussion. I've used Speedsters and while they work fine the control is a bit 'rough' and while twice as expensive I like the IGS 70 (?) better, think that's the one, cause dial movement compared to speed control, is finer and more precise.

S

Skunkenstein

Yeah, I have to admit,the dial is a bit sensative.I notice I really have to 'tweek' the dial.But the main thing I like is the ability to adjust my pos/neg. pressures like never before.In my situation there is No-way I could have Hurricane fans running full bore..Sounds like I need to check out the Elicients..My fan sounds like F-14 Tomcat !!

C

cali2

Thanks for all the good ideas. I solved the problem, got a speed controller for the fan, only 20 bucks. Extended the ducting deeper into the attic hung it from bungees so there is no vibration.I do have a carbon filter. So from the rest of the house it is almost inaudible. The house has central airconditioning so it blends in.The controller is awesome I turned it down just a smidge and it made a huge difference in the noise, it lost that high whining noise. Lights get hung tommorow! Thanks guys.

N

northern monsta

how many btu for air conditioner

hey all im running 4 cooltubes in a space of like 8ft wide 10ft long and 8ft high, im planning on getting a air con i think its a must as a dehumidifier is just going to warm my room to much and it should help with the enviroment anyways any ideas on how bigger unit im going to need as im takeing alot of the heat away through the cool tubes i dont want to over do it and get something way 2 big any ideas guys??? also was thinking of adding 1 more light but again i dont want to over do it on the elecric (lol) so i may have to scratch that 1 any1??

Top Bottom