Types Of Coco and Your Experience

• Thread starter cemchris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MedicalINFO

It seems like all plants would burn if these coco brands were coming 1800 straight out of the bag.. I've had friends burn little plants in cana but they also tried to feed the first watering which is a no no in my book.

Its such bullshit that these "hydroponic" mediums are far from neutral in any way. Who wants to treat there medium? I don't want to rinse hydroton, I don't want to rinse coco....Big bunch of BS

My friend and I just ordered 9000 bio balls, Clean Neutral Bio Balls :)

H

HowardHunt

Sorry forgot about this thread, I need to grab a combo pen and Ill do a run off test of basement mix today.

I want to use the Bio Balls next time as well.

I basically want to make my room look as much like a toy store as possible.

R

Raiderfan420

I hear ya on that Raider. The only thing they said they added was myco. Even if that was the case the initial flush shouldn't be anywhere near that kind of reading.

I will say this using my same feeding schedule I did get a little def when using the bcuzz vs the canna. Nothing to major and after the first week they are grooving. Weather it be beacuse I mix it with soil and the Canna Does better with that who knows. Sorry but I'm still sold on Canna.

That is interesting shit man. I appreciate the information, I might pick up some canna and run a side by side myself. Thanks again!

S

Socachi

Is anyone running canna straight or should it always be mixed with something (perlite)?

Venom818

Venom818

I have seen it ran straight but i would think it would retain to much water

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Depends on how much you water. I have run strait canna when I was hand watering in smaller pots or for moms. After a month or two it will get to the point where you are having to water them more then once a day and sometimes I can't do that. The only thing is running strait coco is a magnet for fungus gnats. They love the moist medium. BTi will also cure that problem.

S

Socachi

Yeah I don't want to water every day or several times a day. I currently use Botanicare ReadyGro Moisture formula which is coir and perlite and I water every other day in small pots and 3-5 in larger pots. Problem i have with it is having to flush often.

pacificdunes74

pacificdunes74

Never used Coco

I picked up some very good cuttings from a guy and I got to see his garden. He is a very respected grower in my area and he was using Coco in all his plants. When I had the chance I was not thinking clearlky and asked all the wrong questions. I got alot of info but not the info I should of got.

So if I am going to use Cana Coco do I use it straight or is there a mix I should use? Whhat he was using looked like a light redish brown straight Coco. Can I get some opinions on this? Please. Also do I run the same Iguana grow in the Coco. When I transplant from 3 gallon Smart pots in soil can I go straight with the soil into the 200 gallon all Coco Smart pots for the greenhouse ? Thanks

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
B'cuzz Coco Substrate... Pure fibers

Here's a quote from my 4th Round Grow Journal...

Ok, I finally opened that bag of B’cuzz Coco pure fiber…
http://i808.invalid.com/albums/zz2/ShadyRound4/Round%204/BcuzzCoco1.jpg

And I got some R/O ready…
http://i808.invalid.com/albums/zz2/ShadyRound4/Round%204/BcuzzCoco0.jpg

Here’s the first run-off at 355 PPM…
http://i808.invalid.com/albums/zz2/ShadyRound4/Round%204/BcuzzCoco2.jpg

Then I flushed the coco once more…
http://i808.invalid.com/albums/zz2/ShadyRound4/Round%204/BcuzzCoco3.jpg

The 2nd run-off measured 252 PPM…
http://i808.invalid.com/albums/zz2/ShadyRound4/Round%204/BcuzzCoco4.jpg

:icon_dizzy:
Since I’ve never used coco before, I’m open to suggestions on these results and a better way to flush, unless these amounts seem fine…

I plan on mixing in 35% chunky perlite and really don't want to flush and wait a day for the coco to dry out until it's moist as that would make transplanting difficult, or at least it would seem easier to transplant when the medium is dry...

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated as I've not grown with coco before, and I planned on mixing up 5 ml/gal of CalMag and some Great White for the first watering when I flip my next round into bloom. Then the following couple days I plan on hand watering until the roots are established at which point I will kick on my ebb 'n flow tray... :thinking

BTW, I use the 0.5 conversion factor on my Hanna... :cool

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yea wet coco is kind of a pain but doable. Everything you said will be groovy. They like the calmg in coco so keep it handy if ya see a def. One thing about Ebb tables and coco pots. Make sure to flush them once a week or two. ebb tables only flood up to a certain point and right above the water level will be a a buildup of salts. The extra step will just keep everything that much happier. Plus you get to inspect each plant on their own to check on progress which I am guilty of not doing on the 20+ pot runs on tables sometimes and it can show.

Man you got way different readings then me. How much water did you put through your pot?

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
One thing about Ebb tables and coco pots. Make sure to flush them once a week or two. ebb tables only flood up to a certain point and right above the water level will be a a buildup of salts.
Hey bud... :happy Thx for the quick response! So my lights in the bloom room turn off at 7 pm... I've never really found any pros or cons to transplanting, before the flip from veg, in the morning or a couple hours before lights out... any thoughts? Also, I'm putting my clones into the coco/perlite mix and plan on using my hydroton for my seedlings since I've got a lot of experience with that medium and don't want to screw up my babies before they're sexed... I saw another thread on having a tray with some pots in coco/perlite and others in hydroton on an ebb 'n flow setup, but haven't seen a definitive answer on the pros and cons... I flood my hydroton 3 times during the 12 hr light cycle of bloom.

My plan is to transplant deep near the bottom of the Smart Pots, with the root ball about 2" above the bottom and then flood only 4" from the bottom with the top layer being 6" from the bottom (2" above the flood depth).

Oops... :sign0006:Sorry about that...
Man you got way different readings then me. How much water did you put through your pot?
I flooded that small pot while it was on the saucer and when that coco was covered in water, the saucer filled up I dumped it into the bucket. Then I took the pot and shook the excess water over the bucket... Afterwards, I dumped all that water and repeated the process. Hopefully that was the best way to catch the initial run-off... :wondering

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Cal/Mag needed or not?

My next grow will be with Coco and I plan on using Roots Organics Coco with some Hydroton on the bottom layer. I will be growing in 5 gallon pots and hand watering with RO water. My nute lineup is as follows and my question is, should I add Cal/Mag to this mix? I sent Advanced Nutrients an email and havent gotten a reply. Probably because I am using H&G with their lineup.

Veg
AN's Sensi Grow A & B
H&G Multi Zen
H&G Algen Extract
H&G Roots Excelurator
H&G Drip Clean
Superthrive
Great White
Bud Candy (1/2 strength to feed the Great White)

Flower
AN's Connoisseur A&B
H&G Multi Zen
H&G Drip Clean
H&G Algen Exract (first 3 weeks)
H&G Roots Excelurator (first 3 weeks)
AN's Bud Blood
AN's Big Bud
AN's Bud Candy
AN's Overdrive
AN's Final Phase
Great White

Just looking at the ingredients for the Base (Sensi Grow and Connoisseur) I see there is Calcium and Magnesium in there already. This will be my first experience in Coco. All my previous experience has been in Soil. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@MedicalINFO

I am running the same nute line up that DD's ran with the exception of the Drip Clean and the Great White. I will go ahead and get some cal/mag and use it if I see any def. Perhaps I will run the whole H&G lineup at some point but I have already invested in these nutes and plan on using them up.

Venom818

Venom818

Whats up guys just checked my run off in my canna coco it went it at 5.8 ph and a ppm of 900 came out 5.5 and a ppm of 1250 what do u guys recommend i do the plant looks perfect no burns super healthy should i be concerned.THNX

V

valiant

i have been useing coco for a while and if you are worried about your readings just keep adding more as in quanity of liquid til you flush those extra nutes out or you get the readings you want.otherwise you can adjust your nutes and ph as to the readings you are getting from your runoff.

i use canadian xpress coco,its abit dodgy at times some of the readings are just like WTF and my nute tank sometimes needs to be checked for ph as it lowers every day or 2-3.

canna coco is always top quality may have to go back to this

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Whats up guys just checked my run off in my canna coco it went it at 5.8 ph and a ppm of 900 came out 5.5 and a ppm of 1250 what do u guys recommend i do the plant looks perfect no burns super healthy should i be concerned.THNX

Naw thats a very acceptable drift and about usually what I saw in my runoff. When handwatering I would feed, feed, flush (plain ph'd water). I say a good rule of thumb is 100-200 ppm between in and out. As far as the PH goes if you are trying to hit that target 5.8 just bump it up .2 or .3 and you will be there. But if your plants are groovy then I say listen to them.

Celtic - As far as that lineup goes cannot tell ya about AN as never used it except for there bigbud. If they need it you will know. Haha you prob have plenty of calmg in those 10+ bottles of nutes and sups lol.

As far as H&G Coco is concerned only intended for run to waste systems no recirc systems. Try the Aqua Flakes or whatever they call it now. Coco formula didn't hold a candle to the Aqua flakes on the tables.

Venom818

Venom818

Naw thats a very acceptable drift and about usually what I saw in my runoff. When handwatering I would feed, feed, flush (plain ph'd water). I say a good rule of thumb is 100-200 ppm between in and out. As far as the PH goes if you are trying to hit that target 5.8 just bump it up .2 or .3 and you will be there. But if your plants are groovy then I say listen to them.

thnx bro

Latest posts

Top Bottom