U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk to push tougher sentences for more-potent marijuana

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk to push tougher sentences for more-potent marijuana
North Shore Republican to propose legislation setting penalties of up to 25 years in prison for selling 'kush'

By Lisa Black | Tribune reporter
June 15, 2009

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk will call for legislation Monday that would toughen drug-trafficking laws regarding a highly potent form of marijuana, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison for a first-time offense.

The law would target offenders who sell or distribute marijuana that has a THC content exceeding 15 percent, which is between 5 and 10 percentage points higher than average marijuana, according to Kirk's office.

THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main active ingredient in marijuana.

Drug dealers are increasingly cross-breeding plants to produce high-potency variants of marijuana, which are called "kush" in street slang when they have 20 percent THC, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curransaid.

Police have been turning up more of the high-potency marijuana in Lake County arrests, he said.

"When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system," said Curran, who supports the legislation, which would amend a federal law. "They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It's not a good idea to have people that messed up."

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has reported that kush sells for as high as $600 per ounce, creating the same profit potential as crack cocaine, Kirk said.

The Republican North Shore lawmaker said he plans to release more information during a news conference in Chicago on Monday, where he will be joined by representatives from the Lake County Sheriff's Department, the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group and Waukegan Police Department.

S

snowkitty

This is in the Chicago area, for anyone wondering where Lake Shore is. Don't grow bomb og in Chicago, I guess? Or just don't let Mark Kirk have any...

I_Against_I

I_Against_I

25 years for first time offenders, this is absolutely ridiculous. Hey Mark Kirk, get your head outta your ass and worry about something a bit more constructive like how you can fix our economy or try thinking up solutions to our broken health care system. People like Mark Kirk are dangerous and counter productive in a lot of ways.

D

D9420

this is a joke what they dont have anything better to do.
this guy is a looser they need to just decriminalize it nation wide and Tax us. we could bring this country out of the Recession so fast. the country could make tons of money every year if they just tax us.
why cant they just leave us alone!! go after the hard drugs that ruin so many lives.

P

pinekreek

Another misguided soul. Why don't you do something about dangerous drugs and get a life-25 years are you kidding?

O

oglovinlife18

it will be legal fr medical use before his happens it only hs to pass one moe vote that will neer ass all medical stuff is tht hig in thc no>?

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Good lord........What a douche bag. Talk about blind ignorance. I'm at a loss for words.

N

Nuglover

What an ignorant fucking tool! 25 yrs for >20% THC...if that's the case I suppose they should give the makers of Marinol life considering it's 100% THC. I'm too pissed to even type anymore.

S

still smokin

they always bring up the point on how much its worth......why? cause they want it and cant figure out how to have there cake ....and leave us with 0....jail ,prison.they will say..........yeah you can have it ,but if we catch you using or going to a clinic to purchase it you will be in trouble...... I think they all wear thongs ,and there cutting off sirculation to there balls that they should be using to help peoples who need the meds......... bottom line wear boxers... get your balls back politicians.help these people not prison them.

B

bicycle racer

what a terrible worthless human being im sure he thought up that brilliant plan while drinking his nightly cocktails what a joke.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

What an ignorant fucking tool! 25 yrs for >20% THC...if that's the case I suppose they should give the makers of Marinol life considering it's 100% THC. I'm too pissed to even type anymore.

Seriously, I really can't fathom how someone could be so blatently ignorant. This is either a whole new level of stupidity or just a ploy to get more people in prison. Its gotta be the latter of the two,(I hope kinda) Atleast then it makes a little sense(albeit, corrupt sense)........I can't keep thinking about this either, nuglover Im gonna give myself a stroke. Republican bastards.....People like this are just aiding in the destruction of our already, broken Country. We house 25% of the worlds prisoners, yet we only total 5% of the worlds population. It's just sickening.Where's a bloody Revolution when you need one.

:swear:mad0233:

S

SolidGold

On the newscast this tool and a fucknut Lake County LEO stated that "kush, also know as hydro, is comparable in effect to CRACK COCAINE".

The dimwit also said that it goes for upwards of $10k/lb.

It really upsets me that the public keeps electing the stupidest possible living humans to govern us.

U

uwg13

this will never go through this Mark Kirk guy is obviously the biggest douche ever. Just look at his dorkass

B

buzzkill420

are you fucking serious what a fag im sorry but people like him just need to be assasinated.... close minded fucking people its ppl like him that can just make your day shitty reading about thier ignorense

I

Image Reaper

I just heard this clown give a radio interview, on WLS-AM, a few minutes ago ... his brain is stuck in 1930 ... as ignorant, and foolish, as any man I have ever heard, in my life (and, I'm old, been listening to that bullshit for a long time) ... one old wives' tale, after another ... and, the couple cannabis supporters that called in, were nearly as clueless, as he was ... the entire interview was mis-information, from all sides ... I had no access to a phone, or I'd have thrown a rant at 'em ...

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m a conservative.In the case of marijuana I feel we should conserve our tax dollars by making Marijuana legal there by freeing up funding for more important law enforcement needs like cross training officers for medial emergencies as they are often the first on scene at accidents.After all Law enforcement officers are here to `Serve and protect` the public, not nanny us!

sour power

sour power

man oh man i thought i seen it all and heard it all.25 years for some weed lol!this dick head needs to get a life.i understand why the government want to keep it an illegal drug but this guys taking it to far.dude grow up!you probably have someone you love right now taking a rip of some of the best kush out there.

H

HazemannHå

You people should just be happy you haven't got the skunk over there. Kirk would probably demand a death sentence if weed that powerfull hit the streets:mooning

Top Bottom