U.S. Will Enforce Marijuana Laws, State Vote Aside

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buddy Hemphill

my deeds and titles have me listed as owner. not tenant.

Are you saying this is just for slaves?

Thats not enough info to mean anything to me.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

no, he meant prop 19 wont keep anyone out of jail for cannabis. which is true.

our laws in california are already lax enough, its less than 100 dollar fine for anyone caught with up to an ounce without a medical rec. prop 19 will be putting more people in jail for cannabis then our current law for numerous reasons.

im all for "legalization"... but prop 19 is not legalization in any shape or form. its taxation and regulation. nothing more. just because the news calls it legalization doesnt mean its true.

prop 19 is one of the worst things that could happen for our cannabis movement.
well said, people just don't understand and instead are being selfish when they want you to vote yes for a commercialization being called legalization. On top of not understanding what they are trying to promote they don't even live in cali where this would affect them...

A

amstercal

Unfortunately, I think TJ has changed a lot since your visits, a lot more dangerous. It is really too bad. I had a few drunken adventures there and some nice days of enjoying the city.
Some of my family grew up in Chula Vista so I think the TJ reference was more of a border town thing for them. My family loves verbal hazing. It's like some sort of mental competition.
What's funny about my believing it was that the hospital pictures of me didn't even help. My parents had to work hard to get me to believe it wasn't true... when you have about 6 adult uncles and cousins working on you full time, they are very convincing! I mean, how would you know they loved you if they didn't pester you all the time? :-) Fortunately I learned to give it back and all is in balance. :-)

Illmind

Illmind

I think amstercal and seamaiden need to unite and have a heavy smokeout. You ladies would be BFFFs', fo sho. If it bothers you I stop the comments, you seem like good peoples. One

A

amstercal

Just the women ones... feel free to bag on my intelligence or whatever else as it doesn't relate to gender. :-) Much appreciated.

And I know, we have led creepily similar lives.

B

bluejay

Alot of you growers are saying vote no because of the worry on price drop..That is the wrong reason to keep it illegal..Karma is never far behind...

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Ok so below is the section from 19 you say will protect us from this. Below that is the section from 215 that says something similar. Taking someone's weed away or their plants or whatever is "sanctioning" them, so please tell me what magical words are so different there that will actually prevent that from happening.

sanction law definition
n
A penalty imposed for violating accepted social norms. A sanction may be civil or criminal in nature. Criminal sanctions are either fine, imprisonment, or both.

Looks pretty different to me, much more clarity than 215 provides, but I don't think it would make any difference to you if Johnny Cochran himself told you so. Your commitment to opposition seems religious.

Local law enforcement doesn't follow the "law;" they follow policy as determined by the AG etc.

Then what was the point of 215? or your argument for waiting until 2012 to pass a better prop?

Cooley says he's "just enforcing the law" - saying Californians passed the Compassionate Care Act which allows non-profit collectives - not the "medical sales and dispensary act", and that dispensaries are merely storefronts for drug dealers. If he wins the race for state AG, and I'm glad you pointed this out - he'll be the state's top cop, and be able to make life real tough for dispensaries. Count on it. It's not like the status quo is gonna be protected by preventing 19 from passing. But one of the stated purposes of 19 is to "Provide easier, safer access for patients who need cannabis for medical purposes.", which is a handy statement for a lawyer to have.

19 doesn't have some new magic shield that will actually get cities to give mj patients or rec users their rights.

I want what you're smoking. The language in 19 for baseline legalization is pretty clear - no $150 doctor's note required. Cooley will no longer be able to say that he's "just enforcing state law" if he's contradicting it.

Under 215, a cop doesn't know if your rec is real, so unless it's a state issued card, he can easily harass you (legally) and let the judge sort it out ... or cite you with the weed smokers tax ... hurray. Under 19, if a cop catches me holding an 1/8th and I'm 21, he won't be able to do shit because possession will no longer be illegal - no "questionable" medical exemption has to be proven. But you already know that (=disingenuous). If law enforcement isn't following the law, should be pretty easy to get it thrown out of court. I wouldn't even bother with a lawyer.

Patients and users alike will still have to fight with the locals for their rights, just like with 215.

You mean to keep dispensaries open? I would expect so since 215 never legally established them - they live in the grey area. Re: "just like" - wasn't fighting for 215 worth it?

At this point no one is changing anyone else's mind. We'll see what happens on Tuesday and that will be that. FTR, I admit that I'm not waiting for "the perfect" proposition and that my focus is ending Prohibition nationally.

B

Buddy Hemphill

sanction law definition
n
A penalty imposed for violating accepted social norms. A sanction may be civil or criminal in nature. Criminal sanctions are either fine, imprisonment, or both.

Looks pretty different to me, much more clarity than 215 provides, but I don't think it would make any difference to you if Johnny Cochran himself told you so. Your commitment to opposition seems religious.

Then what was the point of 215? or your argument for waiting until 2012 to pass a better prop?

Cooley says he's "just enforcing the law" - saying Californians passed the Compassionate Care Act which allows non-profit collectives - not the "medical sales and dispensary act", and that dispensaries are merely storefronts for drug dealers. If he wins the race for state AG, and I'm glad you pointed this out - he'll be the state's top cop, and be able to make life real tough for dispensaries. Count on it. It's not like the status quo is gonna be protected by preventing 19 from passing. But one of the stated purposes of 19 is to "Provide easier, safer access for patients who need cannabis for medical purposes.", which is a handy statement for a lawyer to have.

I want what you're smoking. The language in 19 for baseline legalization is pretty clear - no $150 doctor's note required. Cooley will no longer be able to say that he's "just enforcing state law" if he's contradicting it.

Under 215, a cop doesn't know if your rec is real, so unless it's a state issued card, he can easily harass you (legally) and let the judge sort it out ... or cite you with the weed smokers tax ... hurray. Under 19, if a cop catches me holding an 1/8th and I'm 21, he won't be able to do shit because possession will no longer be illegal - no "questionable" medical exemption has to be proven. But you already know that (=disingenuous). If law enforcement isn't following the law, should be pretty easy to get it thrown out of court. I wouldn't even bother with a lawyer.

You mean to keep dispensaries open? I would expect so since 215 never legally established them - they live in the grey area. Re: "just like" - wasn't fighting for 215 worth it?

At this point no one is changing anyone else's mind. We'll see what happens on Tuesday and that will be that. FTR, I admit that I'm not waiting for "the perfect" proposition and that my focus is ending Prohibition nationally.

lol....Do you live in Cali?

Why is it your focus to end prohibition nationally?

Wouldn't your time be better served introducing legislation in a NON-MED state.....if you really want to end national prohibition?

Because this isn't gonna end it.

This is gonna be a slap in the face to the feds....THEY SAID IT PEOPLE.....DUH.....

so why dont you believe him? The DEA SAID they are gonna fuck with the med MJ scene if Cali tries across the board legalization

Think he made it up on his own?

Fuck no.

Obama already backed up.... Thats the political climate. Thats how it will go down if this passes. It will be a crippling blow to legalization...not the salvation of legalization

The DEA is passing down policy from above. (the white house.....)

Wouldn't it be smarter to get the whole nation on the medical program and then try to backdoor complete legalization? You guys dont get it....they are still handing out 20 years in the deep south for over a QP of schwag. I have a friend that did 10 years ..day for day over possesion of 3 ounces of booty weed.

So why not start a nationwide med campaign to educate the masses. Because many still equate MJ with crack and heroin. Then....and ONLY then...when it has been recieved by the med comunity...will be able to move forward.

If we pass this now and fuck up the med scene...we may never get it back. Nothing to do with profits and greed.

AGAIN...THE DEA SAID IT WILL FUCK WITH THE MMJ SCENE IF WE PASS THIS....WHY DONT YOU BELIEVE THEM?!?!?!?!?

B

bluejay

Because it will destroy the feds..People vote and they dont honor it..A dictatorship that will fall...

J

just_in_ct

Ok so i read the whole thread and there are alot of awesome points. I just feel that prop 19 is a great way to start legalization. Do you think marijuana will ever be legalized without the government regulating it? If you think that will ever happen then you will be waiting for a long time. It will never and i mean never be legalized without being taxed. Sadly the only reason people are starting to come around is because of the revenue it can generate.

Illmind

Illmind

Yea I think the out of staters should for sure be doing more to change their situation you can start by going to norml and emailing some state reps. You pound em with enough shit they eventually budge. Buddy, fuc the dea. That was purely to sway the vote on people who fear them. I don't they aren't a large org and really like I think it was said before they would need the assistance of state and state ain't gonna go ahead and hand them some free publicity it just ain't happening just so at the press conference they can say at the last sentence "O ya and we couln't have done this without local law enforcent". And then they all go off and get pay bumps and local gets nothing but a we couldn't have done it without you gold star on their foreheads. Also local law can't do shit without the peoples cooperation and in certain places that just don't happen.. And btw the relationship between certain law enforment is strained, they aren't very fond of each other because they all blame the publics view of them on each other. Was the headline bold and CAPS with like five o these !!!!!!!!!!!! Golden rule I live by and its a good one, never believe a word a cop says. They'll say and do whatever they have to to get what they want. Here's a good one, just tell us what u have in the car and you'll be ok if you make us look you gonna be in trouble lol. Or the if you wouldn't have ran you would'nt be going to jail lol. They're all great, or your stone cold friend is up there giving us everything! lol. I could go for days.

H

hbstoner

lol....Do you live in Cali?

Why is it your focus to end prohibition nationally?

Wouldn't your time be better served introducing legislation in a NON-MED state.....if you really want to end national prohibition?

Because this isn't gonna end it.

This is gonna be a slap in the face to the feds....THEY SAID IT PEOPLE.....DUH.....

so why dont you believe him? The DEA SAID they are gonna fuck with the med MJ scene if Cali tries across the board legalization

Think he made it up on his own?

Fuck no.

Obama already backed up.... Thats the political climate. Thats how it will go down if this passes. It will be a crippling blow to legalization...not the salvation of legalization

The DEA is passing down policy from above. (the white house.....)

Wouldn't it be smarter to get the whole nation on the medical program and then try to backdoor complete legalization? You guys dont get it....they are still handing out 20 years in the deep south for over a QP of schwag. I have a friend that did 10 years ..day for day over possesion of 3 ounces of booty weed.

So why not start a nationwide med campaign to educate the masses. Because many still equate MJ with crack and heroin. Then....and ONLY then...when it has been recieved by the med comunity...will be able to move forward.

If we pass this now and fuck up the med scene...we may never get it back. Nothing to do with profits and greed.

AGAIN...THE DEA SAID IT WILL FUCK WITH THE MMJ SCENE IF WE PASS THIS....WHY DONT YOU BELIEVE THEM?!?!?!?!?

A slap in the face is exactly what the DEA needs. Prop 19 is going to put the feds, and some local law enforcement agencies in a tight spot. How they react is to be seen, you nor I know what is going to happen. Personally Id like the see them try to come in and shut prop 19 down. If you think they are going to do that now, why would it be any different in 10-20 years with another prop? The arguments you guys are making are going to apply to any legalization proposition.. its no newsflash that the DEA is a bunch of scumbags and has nothing better to do then fuck with MJ. If you think im going to live my life in fear of them, or vote no because of what they may try and do. Then your smoking as much crack as they are.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think the prison lobby is going to love this. Note how there's nothing in there that prevents anyone from going to prison, in fact, how prison time is specifically dictated.

Oh, wait, we've said that before, in fact, I believe a few pages ago I posted the actual language, bolded and in red, that shows this is a fact. If it calls for specific prison penalties, how, exactly, is this a slap in the DEA's or other LE's collective face? Do you know how large and powerful the prison industry is in this country, how many jobs are completely reliant upon prisons as a whole? It's becoming like the military, entire towns built around prisons. Prop 19 won't alleviate that, if it did, the prison lobbies would be among those objecting most vehemently to this.

Their lack of objection by these lobbies is as glaring as anything else that is being discussed here.

A

amstercal

Darth--I think there's some misunderstanding somewhere. My point was just that how things actually play out and what police are actually told to do is often different from how we hope things read. I have some in-laws who are officers and sergeant in one of the local police forces. He said he's been told to tear down all gardens regardless. If they want to fight it in the courts later, they can.

215 should prevent that; it doesn't. I just don't believe that 19 would either and the difference between a ticket and not isn't much.

And how is my stance any more "religious" than your own? I actually am/was open. I just love a good argument. It makes me sad to say no to something that is similar to what we have all wanted for many years, but I think grown ups should look at all the sides and pick the best thing for the long run, not the bright shiny thing that kinda looks like what we want. And I'm not trying to call you a kid with that, just trying to explain my thinking.

Interesting point, Seamaiden.

And hbstoner, the differences with another prop would be, IMHO...
1 The actual support of the majority of growers who can be very vocal and garner more positive public opinion
2 More time for the average Californians to gain acceptance of not only medical mj, but recreational
3 The possibility of rescheduling of MJ at the federal level
4 And of course, a better written prop

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
you cant keep bringing cases before the court you want win. so they will have to try them on a federal level. to add 1000 prisoners to the fed prison system on top of what they have would be mind boggling. they couldnt keep them in cali they would have to ship them out of state.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Police departments, on the whole, have far deeper pockets and far greater resources than your average grower. How many "Keep Joe Schmoe from prison" or similar threads did you read over the past couple of years? He got nailed by a large enough force, and it doesn't actually take much.

For instance, if my local LE decided to come after me, just coming up with the retainer for a good attorney would chew up almost every penny I have in savings. I can't afford that right now, I can't afford that at all without liquidating a lot of assets. It would chew up every moment of my life, were I to remain free or to be jailed. *I*, as an individual, do not have the same resources an entire police force has.

And so I, as an individual, am only afforded the medical defense via 215, but what must be presumed in that statement? What must be presumed is that I am put into the position of having to defend myself. And that costs, often dearly.

And, the one thing the police will *never* lose as long as they're on that side and we're on this side is *their* freedom. Ever.

Illmind

Illmind

Sea they also have a FBI warning at the begining of movies for piracy I believe it's around a 7 year minimum maybe 25 I don't pay attention and also a million dollar fine. But guess what? I know a dude who got arrested for those same charges he was one of the top uploaders of DVD rips on the net. He violated that law about 40,000 times and he got 2 1/2 years in the fed. So I don't take all of that for gospel, plus they don't do the sentencing. Just letting you know, maybe should look up people arrested fir piracy and see if any of them actually suffered the consequences they claim.Plus don't get me started on privatized prisons AKA modern day slavery. They been milking that since 98. And Ive been hating since 2000. Oh and kid they wouldn't do that now they let out certain types of offenders out early during overpopulation. They catgorize people by their offenses and a system organizes em and they let out people least likely to be repeat offenders but that works hardly. I always see in the news rapist let early release and then killed someone or viceversa.

B

Bobby Smith

Darth--I think there's some misunderstanding somewhere. My point was just that how things actually play out and what police are actually told to do is often different from how we hope things read. I have some in-laws who are officers and sergeant in one of the local police forces. He said he's been told to tear down all gardens regardless. If they want to fight it in the courts later, they can.

215 should prevent that; it doesn't. I just don't believe that 19 would either and the difference between a ticket and not isn't much.

And how is my stance any more "religious" than your own? I actually am/was open. I just love a good argument. It makes me sad to say no to something that is similar to what we have all wanted for many years, but I think grown ups should look at all the sides and pick the best thing for the long run, not the bright shiny thing that kinda looks like what we want. And I'm not trying to call you a kid with that, just trying to explain my thinking.

Interesting point, Seamaiden.

And hbstoner, the differences with another prop would be, IMHO...
1 The actual support of the majority of growers who can be very vocal and garner more positive public opinion
2 More time for the average Californians to gain acceptance of not only medical mj, but recreational
4 And of course, a better written prop

Amstercal, I also love to argue (as long as it's not with the lunatic zeitgeist people, Jesus), so this is what my response would be if we were on opposing debate teams.

"He said he's been told to tear down all gardens regardless. If they want to fight it in the courts later, they can.

215 should prevent that; it doesn't. I just don't believe that 19 would either and the difference between a ticket and not isn't much."

Of course 19 would prevent this - whereas there's currently ambiguity and paperwork that needs to be sorted out to determine who is and isn't a legal grower, EVERYONE would be a legal grower under 19 - very, very, very quickly the police will get tired of taking people's shit only to be ordered by a judge to return it 100% of the time (as well as possibly facing disciplinary action by the state AG for violating state law).

Should the state AG choose not to respect prop 19, he WILL be sued be a coalition of deep-pocketed backers and will lose (100% given, although I'd love to hear from any of you about an AG not enforcing the state's constitution which he is duly sworn to uphold, even when the law in question goes against federal law).

"And hbstoner, the differences with another prop would be, IMHO...
4 And of course, a better written prop"

1. Why? Is public opinion really that negative when polls have it at almost a dead heat, with the majority (anecdotal evidence gleened from weed forums, nothing else to support this claim) of established growers against the bill? What would the % be if they were for the bill and weren't convincing their friends that this bill is really a bad thing? 55%? 60%? Not sure how much more public support you'd really expect.
2. See above - seems like Californians are pretty damn accepting to me.
3. That and the passage of legalization for California are for all intents and purposes unrelated events - which do you think will happen first, a state legalizing weed or the government reclassifying it? Exactly.

It will be years (more likely decades) after the first state legalizes weed before it's "officially" reclassified at the federal level.

As stated before, California has the chance to cast a groundbreaking vote and get the snowball rolling towards ending prohibition nationwide (and perhaps worldwide) - that's some heavy shit, and all you Californians should be proud of yourselves.
4. Really couldn't be much more ambiguous with this one - unfortunately in politics, no one ever gets everything they want, but it sure seems to me like this bill is a step in the right direction and not a step in the wrong direction as a lot of the growers on here think - Amstercal, you've stated your particular reasons and I'll believe you, but I can not logically (and I have a very logical mind) fathom how it seems like every medium to large scale grower "thinks" that this bill is a bad thing.

The small growers and just smokers seem to like it (again, anecdotal evidence on forums as well as inferring who the 50% voting for it must be), but the medium to large-ish growers seem to be the most vehemently opposed - not drawing any conclusions, just stating the facts (as I understand them to be).

Again, just debating because I enjoy debating (and I actually have a stance now), so I hope none of this offends anyone.

Illmind

Illmind

Well said Bobby, you left out the seed vendors who make twice as much money off seeded plants of untested seeds than they do off of unseeded tested weed. And I also stated in another thread this could easily be the first step in reclassifying marijuna from where it's at now with the highly addictive dangerous drugs. If this were to pass and people realize the world is still in tact a few years later people might start to think hmm maybe we've been lied to all these years by the goverment. Which they have admitted doing in several articles including human testing they covered up until someone got a concoius before they died.

Latest posts

Top Bottom